In your opinion, what's the biggest money rip-off in terms of knife ?

Most higher end skeletonized neck knives. Pretty much the easiest knives to make yet often matching prices of regular fixed blades and folders.

I'd argue they're the value compared to US high end production. Reate and WE are making knives of higher quality than a good majority of their US production counterparts in respective price brackets.

poor labor standards causing basically modern slave labor and zero concern for the environment always produces a more economical product.

poor labor standards causing basically modern slave labor and zero concern for the environment always produces a more economical product.
General assumptions about Chinese business and work environments is exactly that, an assumption. From everything I've gathered about WE and Reate, their workers are paid a fair wage, are happy with their treatment, and they use quality materials (often imported from the US and Europe). I have no reason to believe that they aren't operating under basic ethical standards, and so I see no issue comparing them to US counterparts.

I think $400 for a microtech stitch is a rip off.. 275 for a ultratech, wow.. I paid 225 for mine in 2011.. not much has changed to warrant the $50 price hike

When the Ultratech was first introduced in 2001 or 2002, the MSRP was over $400. Of course I had to get one, which I promptly lost.

General assumptions about Chinese business and work environments is exactly that, an assumption. From everything I've gathered about WE and Reate, their workers are paid a fair wage, are happy with their treatment, and they use quality materials (often imported from the US and Europe). I have no reason to believe that they aren't operating under basic ethical standards, and so I see no issue comparing them to US counterparts.
Chinese government don’t care about clones,fakes,copyrights,human rights,animal rights,environment..
China has to change their policy in every field before they can expect any kind of interest from me.
I live in North America and will keep supporting manufacturing in USA and Canada.Quality is great,customer service is awesome and that is all that matters to me.Cheers.

The problem with threads like this is

“if I don’t like it it’s a waste of money, but if I do it’s a great value”

Exactly...end thread. :)
The rest is simply a matter of people complaining about things they don't like.
Perhaps they just should not buy the things they don't like? :D

Exactly...end thread. :)
The rest is simply a matter of people complaining about things they don't like.
Perhaps they just should not buy the things they don't like? :D
It’s called negative opinion to a conclusion of which everyone has it’s own choice of buying whatever they want.

I agree. Because of your post, I checked his other postings. Nothing but trolling and stupid comments made to incite others into an argument.

Point me out any argument-fight in this thread. You can't. Just people sharing opinion and discussing calmly.

You should really get a life, some fresh air and chill out.

The full tang morakniv, I mean, little tang 5 bucks..add a tang..100 bucks?? I dont get it LOL

I think rip off is a strong word though, I feel rip off would have to be defined. I know one rip off is lying about the steel..thats a rip off. Or a knife that is way over priced with a mediocre steel and mediocre construction...like..mtechs are cool but if one was 50 dollars and the same quality as their 10 dollar ones that could be a rip off.

i don't think a rip off is a company or maker valuing their time vs materials and may come out a bit high and your eyes boggle..their intention is not to rp you off but to ensure they make a fair profit.

I'd argue they're the value compared to US high end production. Reate and WE are making knives of higher quality than a good majority of their US production counterparts in respective price brackets.

I agree. I have two knives made by WE, and they are phenomenal. I own and have owned knives made in many countries; US, Italy, China, Taiwan, Japan, Pakistan, and more. Every country has good and bad products. I have three Chinese knives; Massdrop/FF/WE gent select CF, WE Deacon (carrying it today) and a Kizer (can't remember the model) and all three have been flawlessly made.

I no longer own nor will I buy Benchmades. I will not pay more for a knife with lesser materials and substandard QC just because they are an American company

More economical? Sometimes. Slave labor? Hard to say. Things are obviously changing in Asia, which is why we are seeing quality products coming out of there.

Most electronics come from Asia. I figure if my TV and home theater system are going to be coming from there, why get snooty about other things being American made. Same with shoes and cars.

Value and quality are more important to me than country of origin.

I look online at knives for example:

Benchmade 551-1 Griptilian: G-10 with partial steel liners, CPM-20CV, 3.45" blade, PB washers, axis lock. $178.50 at BHQ.
Spyderco PM2: G-10, full nested liners, 3.44" blade, CPM-S110V, PB washers, compression lock. $172.25 at BHQ.
WE Streak: G-10, Ti frame, Bohler M390, 3.4" blade, bearings, liner/frame lock. $146.00 at BHQ

Whats a good value and whats a ripoff?

Well from experience I know:

The Grip will most likely have centering issues and very possibly blade play.
The PM2 should be good to go. My buddy's is absolute perfection. Only problems I've EVER had with a Spyderco has been with S30V, but that was my experience with all brands with that steel.
The WE should also be perfect, based on my experiences.

IMO, the PM2 and the Streak are the good values, the Grip is the ripoff.

The full tang morakniv, I mean, little tang 5 bucks..add a tang..100 bucks?? I dont get it LOL

I think rip off is a strong word though, I feel rip off would have to be defined. I know one rip off is lying about the steel..thats a rip off. Or a knife that is way over priced with a mediocre steel and mediocre construction...like..mtechs are cool but if one was 50 dollars and the same quality as their 10 dollar ones that could be a rip off.

i don't think a rip off is a company or maker valuing their time vs materials and may come out a bit high and your eyes boggle..their intention is not to rp you off but to ensure they make a fair profit.

I think this is a very fair point. I think instead of talking about features as a "rip off" or being "overpriced", I think it might be better to phrase it as what features add no personal value to you. Now that doesn't roll trippingly off the tongue, but it's probably a less inflammatory way to put it.

I agree with you about the full tang moras. I generally don't see what value they add to a proven design other than to encourage abuse beyond the scope of the design. I really don't see why they cost so much more. I'm sure limited run means different machine set up, downtime not making other products (their wasted time is reflected in our price), less economy of scale, etc. Plus, the market has said that full tang knives you can baton are idea for bushcraft. They sell at that price, but I won't buy it. I'm good with a $14 Companion:D

Reactions: Mo2

Assumptions all the way around. Gather is just an assumption as well. 2018 article; https://thediplomat.com/2018/03/chinas-forced-labor-problem/

And the environmental part is not an assumption. It is fact. But hey whatever floats your boat. I choose to give my money to US, Japan, Europe etc.

Assumptions all the way around. Gather is just an assumption as well. 2018 article; https://thediplomat.com/2018/03/chinas-forced-labor-problem/

And the environmental part is not an assumption. It is fact. But hey whatever floats your boat. I choose to give my money to US, Japan, Europe etc.

LMAO a 2018 article with a photo taken in 2007 with a GIRL in it who looked to me more like a 30-year old short Asian woman. From that point no need to read the rest.

LMAO a 2018 article with a photo taken in 2007 with a GIRL in it who looked to me more like a 30-year old short Asian woman. From that point no need to read the rest.

Plenty more where that came from. LMAO if you think that is not the case. Fools. lol

Back