Recommendation? Inexpensive(-$50) runner knife

Hello, im new to the forum & fairly new to knifes in general.

I run in a fairly safe neighborhood streets at night. I do not want to carry a pepper spray (too bulky) or gun (California, no CCW). I want to carry a knife for utility/emergency use (i have very small fingernails so I have to use a knife often). Self defense would be a secondary function.

i am looking for a knife around $20-$50, that I can use as beater, while running.

I can not spend more than $50 because I wont run with it or use as beater. I would be too careful.

the knife Im looking for is:
-under $50, preferrably $40.
-3.25 to 3.5 blade length
-as light & flat as possible, under 3 oz
-folding only
-wont swing around in pants pocket
-finger choil(sp?) is a bonus

So far I tried:
Ontario Rat 1: too heavy & thick, swings around
Ontario Rat 2: too small
Steelwill Cutjack: almost perfect, flat & big but lighter would be better (it is 3.7 oz)

anyone have recommendations?

thank you in avance.

Last edited:
Crkt sting 3b

edit- somehow missed the folder requirement. Douk Douk imo, or a Mercator.

Last edited:
Gerber Sharkbelly.

Light: 2.3oz
Blade length: 3.25in
Very thin/flat
Light but strong clip (won't swing around in your pocket)
Strong lockback design (no blade wiggle)
Usually can find for under $30.

Made in the USA in 420hc steel, good corrosion resistance and decent edge holding.

I have this knife and like it a lot. I can't even tell it's in my pocket it's that light/thin.

The Buck 365 Rival II and 366 Rival III are very close to the blade length you want and don't weigh that much.

The 112 Slim select is 3" and is pretty light.

Why not just go with the cutjack mini?

Blades a wee bit shorter then you want but you know it feels good in hand. 3.01 ounces is darn close to your weight

Byrd Cara Cara 2 with the Emerson wave!
This. Something from the Byrd line would be great. In general, think linerless frn with a good clip.

For me, that is a Pacific salt. $70-$80 used on the exchange. I know it is above budget but how much is the right tool in an emergency or SD situation worth? Lots of options in the salt line. I carry iwb back left hip (same spot as if my firearm) while exercising without noticing and have done so for years now. Plus, with h1 you get rust proof.

Something inexpensive from cold steel, such as a pro lite. Or one of the folding knives in the Spyderco Salt series.

Kershaw Atmos , 1.9oz, 3",deep carry clip, looks good, great action 30$

Agree with the statement above recommending the Spyderco Pacific Salt.

Very light, high visibility, and completely rust proof.

Also easy to open one handed with or without gloves.

Welcome to Blade Forums. Here are some considerations:

1. What do you wear when you run? As you mentioned, having things swing or bounce around the wrong way can be pretty annoying. What kinds of pockets you have and where they are on your body can matter. So too can be your options or lack thereof for secure clip locations.

2. How much do you sweat in a given run? Running can create a wet, warm, and salty carry environment for your knife. That can promote corrosion. This is part of why you're seeing recommendations for the Spyderco Salt series (despite your budget cap). Personally, I'd stay away from D2 and 8Cr13Mov is borderline. Better stainless options within your budget range include 14C28N, 9Cr18Mov, and Acuto 440.

3. Does it have to be a folder?
Folding knives are convenient but they do present a denser package. They also aren't great for defensive purposes and you did mention that as a potential function. You'd have to find a knife with a decent kydex or polymer sheath that works for you but I wouldn't rule it out. Another possible benefit is that some are used without scales, making them both flatter and easier to keep clean.

Kershaw Natrix (kvt not assisted), 3.25", 2.9oz

Buck Apex 818 (I have CF version), shorter blade at 2.62", but only 1.7oz, secondary carry device with built in carabineer. Could lose more weight if you take off clip and just use biner or free-float. Similar to Kershaw Reverb. I think my old Reverb had slightly better action, but prefer the hole in blade for opening.

A bunch of Civivi's probably fall in all of your preferences. I only have the Elementum with Damascus/CF(laminate). But talk about value for the dollar.

8DIsmvG.jpg

Here's some out of the box (and parameter) suggestions.
Maybe not legal where you are, but there are some fairly light double action OTF's that can be great for multi-duty purposes. In the pic is a sub-$50 AKC.

Also, I think a small fixed blade could shine for the proposed purpose. Many under 3oz, and some under 1oz like the Spyderco ARK. May even be held in place stuck in waistband or sock.

In following pic...

AKC F-16 (3.13oz).
Spyderco ARK (1.67oz w/sleeve).
Esee Izula (2.62oz w/plastic sleeve, 2.86 w/leather).
Fitz Design (2.73oz w/kydex).
Becker 13 (1.58oz w/sleeve).
Esee Candiru (1.86oz including my own Kydex).

AbhcTjV.jpg

nVNh16G.jpg

Byrd Harrier LW - $35, 2.7oz, 3.36”
Honey Badger Medium Wharncleaver - $34, 2.6oz, 3.25”
Steel Will Mini Intrigue - $39, 2.2oz, 3.25”
Civivi Wyvern - $50, 3oz, 3.5”

This. Something from the Byrd line would be great. In general, think linerless frn with a good clip.

For me, that is a Pacific salt. $70-$80 used on the exchange. I know it is above budget but how much is the right tool in an emergency or SD situation worth? Lots of options in the salt line. I carry iwb back left hip (same spot as if my firearm) while exercising without noticing and have done so for years now. Plus, with h1 you get rust proof.

This is my recommendation as well, try to find a used spyderco salt. The native 5 salt is my workout knife. It spends a lot of time clipped to the rear pocket on my cycling jerseys.

The buck 110 slim or 112 slim isn't too far off and are pretty flat, US made, and quite light.

Cold steel seems to have a lot of flat knives at reasonable prices, but I haven't tried any of their inexpensive stuff. The working man or Kahn might be good. I like the thump protrusion on the kahn, but it may rub for running if using in a waistband.

I have been very impressed with my Buck 112 slim LW. Seems to fit your needs.

Back