Recommendation? Inexpensive(-$50) runner knife

thank you for the advice. Fixed blade is not legal here. Emerson wave is not very practical since I dont have a need to whip it out fast. But it is for weight reduction.

i hope I dont ruin it haha

You're welcome. I understand why you are going with a DIY instead of the available Wave model. It'll have less steel and a lower profile. I'm not sure the weight difference will be that big of a deal but I'm definitely curiously to see how the project turns out.

I knew things were bad in California. I had to look this one up. It turns out any fixed blade is illegal if concealed. Open carry of a fixed blade is okay by the state but banned in some jurisdictions. Apparently, screwdrivers and other tools can be counted under the state law if they don't like you. :eek:

Few come to mind:

Drop Forged Hunter by Cold Steel - it is in your price range, really strong blade, just it's not that light and it's 4 inches long. I personally use it as EDC and I love it, it has a good grip too, and handle is designed in a way that no matter what you stab, your hand won't end up on the blade..

Cold Steel Double Agent - inside your price range, inside your dimensions and handle is designed in such way that it's really hard to lose your blade.
Same goes for Cold Steel Mini Tac series, you have Tanto or Bowie... look them up :)
They are all extremley light and easy to conceal.

There is also Manly Patriot - it's inside your price range, very light, 3.5 inch blade. But I wouldn't trust it's handle enough to stab with it.

This. Something from the Byrd line would be great. In general, think linerless frn with a good clip.

For me, that is a Pacific salt. $70-$80 used on the exchange. I know it is above budget but how much is the right tool in an emergency or SD situation worth? Lots of options in the salt line. I carry iwb back left hip (same spot as if my firearm) while exercising without noticing and have done so for years now. Plus, with h1 you get rust proof.

My first thought was a used FRN Spyderco, particularly the Gen 3 Delica/Endura or one from the Salt line with the same pinned, linerless construction. Thin, flat, light, and shouldn't be too pricey. The newer generation will add weight, a couple hairs of thickness (not much, but it's there), and cost.

BTW I run a lot (won a couple of 5k and 10k races, a triathlon, etc) and surely that means you have the perfect defence in case of an attack; run.
You’d be surprised how bad most people are at running.

My first thought was a used FRN Spyderco, particularly the Gen 3 Delica/Endura or one from the Salt line with the same pinned, linerless construction. Thin, flat, light, and shouldn't be too pricey. The newer generation will add weight, a couple hairs of thickness (not much, but it's there), and cost.
And just to add, the newer salts are a bit different than the older ones in that depending on the model, they might have liners. I haven't delved into the specs of the newer Pacific salt 2 (endura size) but I did notice it is still linerless unlike its younger sibling, the salt 2 (delica size). Both do now have the gen 4 style handle and clip though.

At your price point, I would recommend :
(1) Victorinox recruit with a suspension clip. Around $20. It will simply disappear in your pocket.
(2) Civivi Elementum in D2. Under 3 inch blade with G-10 handle. Available around $50.

For the kicks, also check out Benchmade 535 Bugout !! Can't beat it for lightness, or for cutting ability. Made in the U.S.A. However it's a bit outside your price point.

At your price point, I would recommend :
(1) Victorinox recruit with a suspension clip. Around $20. It will simply disappear in your pocket.
(2) Civivi Elementum in D2. Under 3 inch blade with G-10 handle. Available around $50.

For the kicks, also check out Benchmade 535 Bugout !! Can't beat it for lightness, or for cutting ability. Made in the U.S.A. However it's a bit outside your price point.

That 535 is a beauty.

I'm going to also recommend either a Dragonfly salt or a Kabar Dozier. The Kabar Dozier is solidifying itself as one of my favorite knives of all time. It is inexpensive, solid, and rides unnoticed in my waistband at the 4 o'clock position when I trail run. I've carried a Dragonfly in waist band as well for running but the budget Dozier seems to be taking over that role. Rust isn't an issue for me and I'm doing this trail running in Texas. If you ever see some, the Dozier is one of the most simple folding knives out there with very few parts. Unscrew the pivot, pop out the blade, clean it up, and put it back together.

Back