1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Recommendation? Inexpensive(-$50) runner knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Puppadore, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Puppadore

Puppadore

Jan 18, 2020
    Thank you all for the replies.

2. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Byrd Raven or Harrier.

willc likes this.
  3. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I have a lot of knives. Expensive and inexpensive.

A Byrd, from Spyderco is a great recommendation.

Or proper Spyderco, though you may have a time finding one in that price range. I think my Delica was about $60.

I have a Byrd Cara Cara that was a bit more with titanium handle scales.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold

Oct 10, 2016
    A Gerber paraframe is hard to beat. 2.8 o z and a 3" blade . You'd have money left over to buy a lady a drink or two . I guess sonething with carbon fiber on an even flatter design might be more suitable and lighter . But the paraframe is solid . They come in partially serrated and non , I believe

5. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Whichever knife you buy, if you carry it clipped, which you most likely will, try to determine if the handle texture/pattern where the clip contacts the handle will be too rough or not for whatever pants or shorts you’ll be wearing. Depending on how much you sweat, I would have recommended a serrated Salt 2, in either standard or Wharncliffe-style blade, but it’s a little above your stated price.

Jim

6. Polzeyboy

Polzeyboy CHEEKY BUGGER

Jan 9, 2020
    Be very careful using a knife for self defence:
    I’ve been doing martial arts since I was a kid but also been in a few too many street fights; you are raising the stakes considerably with a knife. You are committed if you draw one; what might have been a scuffle is suddenly life or death. That knife could be taken from you by an experienced fighter and turned on you.

I know the US is very pro weapons for self defence and the UK (where I live) isn’t but we’ve got knife crime issues.

The very best thing to do if someone draws a knife is get out of there fast. The best thing to do is someone aims an AR15 your way is not to draw a little handgun, it’s to hide.

Weapons up the ante; the dynamics of a confrontation move incredibly quickly. I know because I’ve been there, got the scars.

Be safe, avoid situations, use knives to make/cut/carve/open but it think very carefully about using them for defence.

7. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Good advice. Don't run with scissors or knives.

Cogam87 likes this.
  8. BD_01

BD_01

Jun 9, 2016
    If you do run with scissors, make sure they’re not concealed. Concealed scissors are illegal in California.

[​IMG]

9. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    While it doesn’t meet your specifications (the blade is too short by half an inch or so), I’ve taken to carrying a Leatherman Skeletool KB when exercising.

I used to carry a Spyderco Pingo clipped on my waistband, but this knife replaced it. It weighs nothing, doesn’t move around, and it cost a whopping $22.

I will say it wouldn’t be my first (or tenth) choice as a self-defense tool, and the knife is not without issues, but I’m very pleased with it.

10. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    Kershaw AM4.
    Inexpensive and pokey if needed.

11. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    I carry a older Delica, If I didn't have it I would look at the Byrd line.
    Clipped in my shorts at the 3:30 .

12. folder geek

folder geek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2012
    I am a runner too and carry a spyderco dragonfly. Fits perfectly in the bottom of my shorts.
    It will also fit (albeit awkwardly) in the small inside waistband key pocket.
    One other recommendation would be a SAK classic.
    I have never had what I feel like where sweat issues carrying in my short pocket.
    Cheers

Sorry but for whatever reason didn't not see the blade length preference.
    That being the case I would shoot for a spyderco tenacious. Just a titch heavy at 4oz but right blade size and price.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  13. Onies

Onies

Apr 29, 2006
    Kabar Dozier folding hunter. At a shade over 2oz and around $30.00 it is never a bad choice. They can take an absolute pounding too.

14. pholder

pholder

Feb 16, 2005
    a knife fight doesn't mean who's wright, only who's left, no one wins in a knife fight

15. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
  16. Puppadore

Puppadore

Jan 18, 2020
    Thank you all for the advice and recommendations.

As mentioned, I am running in a safe neighborhood and I need a knife for many things because I have abnormally short fingernails. The self-defense use is only a secondary function.

but yes, using a knife for self defense would turn a simple push and curse altercation into a fight to the death. I would not use a knife for self defense unless im bout to die.

i have decided on Byrd Cara Cara 2 mainly for length & weight. The weight at 3.5 oz is bit too heavy, so I will cut parts of the back of the blade to make it lighter & create the emerson wave with the thumb hole. The cara 2 with emerson wave is too heavy unmodified.

Other suggestions are great, but I am not getting a used knife because i am simply ignorant in knife stuff to know when im scammed or jipped, also I dont want to wait days.

when I modify it for weight reduction/emerson wave, i will post pictures.

once again, thank you all for the suggestions and advice!

ps. I think Cara Cara 2 is one of the ugliest knives I have ever seen. But im choosing it for weight/size/thickness and modifiability of the blade.

17. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    It's important to remember that ANY encounter in which a person is using force against you could be very dangerous. The first step is to avoid such encounters. When conflict presents itself, deescalate or defer when possible. Unless you have a legitimate need to defend persons or property, try to escape. The ONLY time you should draw a defensive knife or gun, or pick up a sharp stick or brick from the ground, is when you have no other choice.

The reason defensive carry rights are so important is that people sometimes don't have another choice. That's a fact of human nature, regardless of where you live. Bad people sometimes do bad things. It isn't just human beings either. People are occasionally attacked by dogs or other wildlife. In those cases, it is far better to have a defensive tool than not.

The idea of modifying the Cara Cara is interesting. The Wave design can be helpful but a folding knife is still a folding knife. At least you'll have something for now. Something is usually better than nothing. The Cara Cara should handle most of your utility tasks too. Just keep that 8Cr13Mov clean, sharp, and well-oiled. In the meantime, keep those recommendations for a small fixed blade in better steel on the back burner. If nothing else, it'll be fun to explore and check out some different models moving forward.

18. Puppadore

Puppadore

Jan 18, 2020
    thank you for the advice. Fixed blade is not legal here. Emerson wave is not very practical since I dont have a need to whip it out fast. But it is for weight reduction.

i hope I dont ruin it haha

19. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    The make a Cara Cara 2 with the wave already, just FYI.

20. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    How about a Victorinox Sentinel with the hole for one hand opening? 2.8 ounces I believe. You can get them with or without a clip plain edged or serrated. It has about a 3" blade and one of the 111mm SAKs.