Inlay Sebenza warping falling out!!

I have a small lawn business on the side and after a full day in the sun I sweat through my clothing. The Micarta on my Sebenza is usually damp at the end of the day but wipes away clean. I’d imagine this would damage the wood inlays overtime like the RP reported.

I disagree... what the OP has stated is totally against all my experiences with wood...

Last edited:
My jeans are usually damp from perspiration the majority of the day and the knife sits clipped to my pocket. I wish I could post a pic. At least crk will repair it under warranty. I told them what happened and they said it shouldn’t have happened

Following an unfortunate incident in which the buffalo horn handles on a (rather expensive) knife "moved" due to exposure to very cold and dry conditions, I had an interesting discussion with the maker. He said that any natural material, even when stabilized, can warp, expand, or shrink if exposed to the right set of conditions (temperature and humidity). A combination of the exact handles and the right set of exposures. In my case, it happened in the baggage hold on a long flight. I had flown with the same knife multiple times with no issue. He recommended resin handles for complete safety. Luckily, he repaired the knife for free.

I have no idea if that is what happened here, but it seems possible based on that conversation. When I travel these days, I leave the box elder burl CRK at home and bring something with synthetic handles. Better safe than sorry and all.

Spalted Beech is purposely rotted wood. If the stabilizer, AKA: resin, did not penetrate the specimen sufficiently, then moisture ingress will occur in a sweaty pocket and it’s likely to self destruct due to the spalting, which has weakened the structure to start.

Unless you are a paying member you can't post pics unless you use some BS thing like photo bucket which i refuse to do...

.... sounds like the knives set in water over night or something... something is very odd about this

you can use imgur, that's what I use.

Beech is a soft wood, I don't know if Bog Oak is soft or not.Koa is pretty soft, where Ebony is not... I wonder what the incidence of warping /seperation is by wood type CRK has experienced.... If not stabilized, Spalted anything should be very soft.

You’re using an inlayed Sebenza on a construction site? You and I are definitely in different tax brackets. Also, you punched it through flashing?? Why not use the correct tool for the job? Like tin snips? Strange that there are no pictures of these swollen wood inlays. lastly, dryness causes wood to warp in my experience. Hardwood furniture and hardwood flooring will all start warping if you do not have the correct humidity in your home.
Somethings up. You probably got a fake.

You’re using an inlayed Sebenza on a construction site? You and I are definitely in different tax brackets. Also, you punched it through flashing?? Why not use the correct tool for the job? Like tin snips? Strange that there are no pictures of these swollen wood inlays. lastly, dryness causes wood to warp in my experience. Hardwood furniture and hardwood flooring will all start warping if you do not have the correct humidity in your home.

the OP's posts sound like BS too me... none of it makes good logic to me.... maybe the OP is simply trolling this forum

I have to say without pics I’m calling BS on this too. It’s not hard to post a pic, it legit takes 15 seconds on any free image host like postimg or tinypic. Post pics or this will get old real fast. You can’t blame us for not believing you without seeing proof of the issue.

I’m a Forman for my fathers construction company.

ಠ_ಠ

Assuming this is real: I don't mean to be too harsh, but.... "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." Maybe pick the appropriate tool for the job?

And assuming it isn't: The guy knows how to post photos.

Yo95FXi.jpg

Obviously it didn’t crack like the picture that is from me pulling it out thinking I would just leave the inlay out but my dealer talked me into sending it in for warranty. He also said crk told him they had problems with spalted beech

I’m not a troll! I still love my CRK. I’m still carrying the bog oak it swells up just a little from sweat. I will stop carrying it when my large plain arrives

It’s not a fake I purchased it from an authorized dealer who has a good selection of crk.
We did have tin snips I just wanted to use my knife, guys on the job didn’t think it could go though without damage.... it did and without damage. Unlike most people who purchase expensive knives couldn’t even dream about using them, I’m completely opposite. I have even carried to work a Reese Bose. I paid money for the damn thing I’m going to use the shit out of it.

Back