1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Insane performance boost in cutting ability!

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by razor-edge-knives, Jan 29, 2015.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Those look great man!! Tom is the MAN :thumbup: One day I'll be up there in skill level w/ him!

Anyway, here's one I just finished up... a Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter, converted to a full convex zero grind at 600 grit. Funny how lighting is everything when talking about "mirrored" blades =)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris "Anagarika" likes this.
  2. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Oh crap :eek: That... that is just sick! That pic scares me. Somebody is getting a WICKED regrind. Wow.

3. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    I'm honored you would say so 😊 convex grind are always difficult for me at the tip area... Its always very easy to round them out.

4. gunmike1

gunmike1

Dec 9, 2005
    That is great work. I'd have no hesitation sending my blades to you for a regrind.

5. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks buddy, very kind of you. What's funny is I need to regrind my own edc as the performance has been lacking (zt 0561 in its stock condition other than the edge reprofile to 15 dps) lol! I'm thinking of regrinding then comparing mirrored vs toothy edges since it will cut my mirroring time into about 1/3rd what it would take currently! The cardboard is piling up on my porch though... gotta do it soon!

6. Spey

Spey

Apr 15, 2012
    Josh, VERY nice work there.
    Thickness behind the edge and distal taper look nicely consistent.

AUS-8 or CTS-XHP ?

Also, wondering if you would care to comment on heat management, etc. related to approaching the tip area?

Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. Rapt_up

Rapt_up Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2012
    Love to see your ZT561 with a regrind, I was just looking at one thinking it was a good candidate for that treatment. ... Wasn't sure what I'd do but was thinking that raising the grind line a bit and doing a near zero grind would probably give good performance without losing too much "sturdiness".

8. darks

darks

Jan 27, 2015
    Hey Josh, I'm actually just up the road from you guys, as I'm in Duncan. I was wondering if you ever had any experience with shortening knives? I have a BM940 that I love, but I can't carry it nearly as much because of my job (they don't allow blade lengths over 3" on site). Would it be possible to shorten it and give it a regrind or would it just be better to learn to live with my mini grip?

9. gunmike1

gunmike1

Dec 9, 2005
    I wouldn't be using a stock thickness ZT0561, from that I've seen they look at be .030" or more behind the edge. With your skills it's a no brained to regrind that sucker down to a more useable thickness. I'd love to see what you come up with when you grind it.

10. blade man

blade man

Jan 8, 2001
    Josh, that UH looks fantastic. I'm thrilled to see someone taking a refrijd to a higher grit. No reason these guys can't ALSO look great. :)

11. mrapex

mrapex

May 6, 2016

If I sent in a kershaw skyline, would you be able to bring it to a FFG? even with non removable thumbstuds?

12. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Kershaw skyline's studs can be removed and reinstalled, so yes it can be done. Shoot me a pm or email and we can discuss...

13. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    Here's a user I recently did. Yes, a bit of sacrilege to a Jarvenpaa Puukko, but I have two, so converted one to a utility user and the other I'll leave as a traditional buchcrafter. Kept the same 26° inclusive at the edge - still sporting some Sharpie at the ricasso - I did say it is a user.

For utility cutting it glides like a scalpel now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  14. STREAMHAWAII

STREAMHAWAII

Oct 31, 2016
    When I send it in. Will the knife be disassembled? I have a PM2.

15. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    If you are speaking to me please shoot me a pm or email, [email protected]

16. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Freedom for @Fullflat!!! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Stunning work my friend. I hope whomever owns that appreciates it.

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  17. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Good thread Josh. Glad to see it's still going :thumbsup:

Here's a regrind I did on a liten bror for myself, from convex to ffg. This was done by hand with a 2 x 48 burr-king, and I am always envious of the beautiful plunge lines you get. Mine are sad in comparison!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up with a faint thinning of the spine at the plunge, but was pleased with it overall.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  18. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Great job Dave! Looks like you did a fantastic job. Thanks for the compliment my friend!

19. brasileiro

brasileiro

Aug 26, 2011
    Amazing thread!
    It makes me remember old encyclopedias where we cut our fingertips as we turned the page so thin it was the leaf. I can not remember if there was anything on the edges but it cut.
    Good job REK.

razor-edge-knives likes this.