Insane performance boost in cutting ability!

http://imgur.com/8W594dE

http://imgur.com/WIwDjyA

http://imgur.com/DGdFq7c

http://imgur.com/eKN6pXO

Hopefully these links work. I need to figure out how to embed the pictures. These are my S110V Para 2 and Gayle Bradley with Krein regrind. Both are in the .006"-.007" range behind the edge. They are so thin it's hard to get the calipers on there good.

Those look great man!! Tom is the MAN :thumbup: One day I'll be up there in skill level w/ him!

Anyway, here's one I just finished up... a Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter, converted to a full convex zero grind at 600 grit. Funny how lighting is everything when talking about "mirrored" blades =)

16%2B-%2B1

16%2B-%2B3

16%2B-%2B4

Oh crap :eek: That... that is just sick! That pic scares me. Somebody is getting a WICKED regrind. Wow.

Oh crap :eek: That... that is just sick! That pic scares me. Somebody is getting a WICKED regrind. Wow.

I'm honored you would say so 😊 convex grind are always difficult for me at the tip area... Its always very easy to round them out.

Those look great man!! Tom is the MAN :thumbup: One day I'll be up there in skill level w/ him!

Anyway, here's one I just finished up... a Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter, converted to a full convex zero grind at 600 grit. Funny how lighting is everything when talking about "mirrored" blades =)

16%2B-%2B1

16%2B-%2B3

16%2B-%2B4

That is great work. I'd have no hesitation sending my blades to you for a regrind.

That is great work. I'd have no hesitation sending my blades to you for a regrind.

Thanks buddy, very kind of you. What's funny is I need to regrind my own edc as the performance has been lacking (zt 0561 in its stock condition other than the edge reprofile to 15 dps) lol! I'm thinking of regrinding then comparing mirrored vs toothy edges since it will cut my mirroring time into about 1/3rd what it would take currently! The cardboard is piling up on my porch though... gotta do it soon!

Josh, VERY nice work there.
Thickness behind the edge and distal taper look nicely consistent.

AUS-8 or CTS-XHP ?

Also, wondering if you would care to comment on heat management, etc. related to approaching the tip area?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Love to see your ZT561 with a regrind, I was just looking at one thinking it was a good candidate for that treatment. ... Wasn't sure what I'd do but was thinking that raising the grind line a bit and doing a near zero grind would probably give good performance without losing too much "sturdiness".

Hey Josh, I'm actually just up the road from you guys, as I'm in Duncan. I was wondering if you ever had any experience with shortening knives? I have a BM940 that I love, but I can't carry it nearly as much because of my job (they don't allow blade lengths over 3" on site). Would it be possible to shorten it and give it a regrind or would it just be better to learn to live with my mini grip?

Thanks buddy, very kind of you. What's funny is I need to regrind my own edc as the performance has been lacking (zt 0561 in its stock condition other than the edge reprofile to 15 dps) lol! I'm thinking of regrinding then comparing mirrored vs toothy edges since it will cut my mirroring time into about 1/3rd what it would take currently! The cardboard is piling up on my porch though... gotta do it soon!

I wouldn't be using a stock thickness ZT0561, from that I've seen they look at be .030" or more behind the edge. With your skills it's a no brained to regrind that sucker down to a more useable thickness. I'd love to see what you come up with when you grind it.

Josh, that UH looks fantastic. I'm thrilled to see someone taking a refrijd to a higher grit. No reason these guys can't ALSO look great. :)

Yeah I'm quite familiar with krein regrinds :) I just wanted to post this thread to let some of the newer guys know what a regrind was as I have seen some confusion as of late

If I sent in a kershaw skyline, would you be able to bring it to a FFG? even with non removable thumbstuds?

If I sent in a kershaw skyline, would you be able to bring it to a FFG? even with non removable thumbstuds?

Kershaw skyline's studs can be removed and reinstalled, so yes it can be done. Shoot me a pm or email and we can discuss...

Here's a user I recently did. Yes, a bit of sacrilege to a Jarvenpaa Puukko, but I have two, so converted one to a utility user and the other I'll leave as a traditional buchcrafter. Kept the same 26° inclusive at the edge - still sporting some Sharpie at the ricasso - I did say it is a user.

For utility cutting it glides like a scalpel now.

101_0398_zpsn4h3fhzf.jpg~original

Last edited:

16%2B-%2B1

16%2B-%2B3

16%2B-%2B4
Stunning work my friend. I hope whomever owns that appreciates it.

Good thread Josh. Glad to see it's still going :thumbsup:

Here's a regrind I did on a liten bror for myself, from convex to ffg. This was done by hand with a 2 x 48 burr-king, and I am always envious of the beautiful plunge lines you get. Mine are sad in comparison!

Eepzam4.jpg

JQOv4f3.jpg

I ended up with a faint thinning of the spine at the plunge, but was pleased with it overall.

MEf0hDK.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited:
Amazing thread!
It makes me remember old encyclopedias where we cut our fingertips as we turned the page so thin it was the leaf. I can not remember if there was anything on the edges but it cut.
Good job REK.

Back