Integrals

Originally posted by Wulf
As long as we're at it, let's not forget D.F. Kressler, or Ricardo Velarde

Believe it or not, a guy named Reinhard Tschager is right up there with Kressler, Velarde, and Johnson when it comes to integrals. Guy is a true craftsman.

To my eye, Tschager is ahead of them all in terms of his eye for art and refined grace. Things like his small inlaid emblem, some of the engraving he does, etc. His simple, super perfect sheath work is also a big cut above the norm.

He lives in Northern Italy. He and his wife are super nice people, but don't speak much English. I asked hime to build me a 4" drop point integral (guard and butt) out of Schneider ladder and mammoth. bought one of his pieces after seeing his work at a Guild Show. Sorry, don't have a digital pic.

Here are 2 more integrals made by Wolfgang Dell:
Dell_Jagdmesser.jpg

Dell_Jagdmesser_2.jpg

3 weeks ago I have had both knives in my hand to make the sheath for the knives. Very fine knives!

I have seen some of Edmund Davidson's integrals as well, including one on page 51 of the April Blade mag, and he does some stunning work.

Here is one from a guy you may have heard of.
Seems like that trip to Brazil had a little influence on him :D.
I hear Jerry wants to make more integrals in the future.

Attachments

• fiskintegral.jpg
    fiskintegral.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 329
Boy, that is a beautiful knife Jerry made there. I would love to see him make more like that.

By the way, for mthose interested, Jerry has stopped taking orders for knives for awhile. He is to far behind and wants to get the waiting period below two years before he starts taking oreders again. I managed to get an order in before this happened. Maybe I can talk to him about an integral instead of the Sendero that I have on order. :D

Hey Bastid,

How much did you say you wanted for that Fisk?

Well gotta say if it was mine I would not sell it.

He happened to send the pic for me to take a look at. He gets a kick out of me telling how much this job makes me drool on my keyboard.
He is OK, but has had a rough time lately, so if you are inclined keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Get well goats would be way out of line though :D.

Just wanted to add this picture of a beautiful integral made by Antonnio Fogarizzu from Italy. He forges the damascus himself. The picture was taken from Blades International, the great on-line knife magazine.

I have heard the term integral used in reference to fixed blades and at the risk of seeming quite ingnorant, what does it refer to? I am mostly into folders and with folders, term integral refers to a framelock ala CRK, Tom Mayo and Darrel Ralph. So what is it in a fixed blade that makes it an integral? :confused: :eek: :confused:

A fixed blade integral is when the blade, guard/bolster and tang are all one piece of metal. this means you have to start with much thicker blade material so that there will be enough to make the guard and sometimes the butt/cap as well. It is a lot more work to make a knife this way, but they have a very solid look. They are a particular favorite of mine.

Edited because it is a fixed blade not an fixed blade

Just received this today....Traded several for one, and this one is now mine.....

CB_56.jpg

Edmund Davidson Intergral Australian Bowie.....He started with a bar of A2 steel that was 1" X 3" X 18".

This one has a 12" blade that is ground down to 5/16" thick ..weighs about 3 lbs...with ironwood burl handles....

and it is NOT just gonna be looked at and fondled....:cool:

That is the nicest big integral that I have seen kawanin. Thanks for sharing. I think Edmund is one of the top integral makers around right now.

I would love to show and share this with all .....this thing is incredible.....:D :D :D ....

I talked with Edmund for about an hour before I got this blade...I am anxious to talk again now that I have it in my hands....:cool:

My friend Michael Jankowsky here in Berlin makes excellent integral hunters in the Loveless style. Michael's knives are very light and fast handling - as opposed to many integrals I've seen which were really HEAVY. Michael has some of his knives up on his website at: www.messerjankowsky.de I think the knives shown have long been sold, but he's always making more. Drop him a line if you see something you like. He's a really nice guy to work with. Here's one of Michael's engraved pieses. Engraving is from Kati Mau in Suhl.

Another good friend of mine who makes super integral Hunters is Peter Herbst. Peter's work can be seen under: www.messerherbst.de Peter is one of Germany's best makers (has a folder colaboration with Spyderco) and has many years of experience. I have one of Peter's integrals and it's a real joy in the hand. I'll try and post a pic later this evening... opps, looks like I can't post pics??

peter_1.jpg

peter_2.jpg
mike.jpg

TAH said:
I have always heard that an integral, fixed blade knife is generally more expensive, more labor intensive, more time consuming, more difficult to make, and superior to a knife that is assembled. Are they considered more desirable? What are your feelings on integral construction? Who was the first to offer a custom integral? Thanks for your replies.
Ted Dowell was the first knifemaker to offer an integral knife..period. He got the idea from the old screwdrivers made in the 20's and 30's. (if you've ever seen one?) Ted doesn't "claim" any new inventions here, just got the idea of making an integral knife instead of an integral screwdriver. Same with his funny folder...Ted didn't "invent" the idea...he just GREATLY improved from an old advertising knife. Hope this helps? Kinda late here!
Brandon

Here's some pics of a Ron Best Integral hunter off of Blade Gallery-Pretty Nice.I've been checking Ron's knives out for awhile now.

I do like the idea of integrals. No seams to rust or come loose...

Brandon-
Welcome to the forums.

brandon chaffee said:
Ted Dowell was the first knifemaker to offer an integral knife..period. Brandon

With all due respect, integrals have been around a bit longer. This knifemaker beat Mr. Dowell by over 3000 years. ;)
937_small.jpg

Mr. Dowell may popularized this method in our lifetime, but I find it hard to believe that no other modern man has had this same idea. Surely a machinist somewhere made one after hours- somewhere...

Back