Integrals

Burt, that is a wonderful integral.
Nick, I hope we get to see your integral soon :)

I spoke with Dale Baxter about a 15" blade integral Bowie... I hope to order it soon, it'll be something else.

Recent posts brought this old thread back to life, and I'd like to add something to the history. The modern originators of the intergral were Ted Dowell and a guy in Texas whose names escapes me right now...Bone?

Anyhow, Ted used to carry around an old English screwdriver that was of integral construction, to show how old the design was and what had given him the inspiration.

Many current makers can provide an intergral, but one of the best, whose known specifically for the integrals, is Dietmar Kressler. I've have owned intergrals from Dowell, Velarde, Papp and even Bill Pease, but the master in today's market has to be Kressler.

gk2410 :

"Recent posts brought this old thread back to life, and I'd like to add something to the history. The modern originators of the intergral were Ted Dowell and a guy in Texas whose names escapes me right now...Bone?"

Wasn't it GW Stone (Diana model) ?

ELDE

I'm not up in the ranks with Kit, or Davidson by anymeans. I made this integral last year.....man are they a pain in the butt !!
This is my 1st: A2 with ironwood
integral1.jpg

sorry about the poor quality pic.

Sean

Here's a half integral knife I milled recently on my small milling machine. (A full integral has both the bolsters and the butt cap milled.) I won't be doing another until I get a larger milling machine! Steel is O2 carbon toolsteel with a selective heat treament by Markus Balbach here in Germany.

integral.jpg

Speaking of German integrals, Kevin...

I don't do this often, but since I do so many images for a client's website I come upon some amazing work. I handled three of Dietmar Kressler's integrals and each one floored me.

This particular chute knife was my favorite of the pack. The simplicity and complexity is abundant in spades. Fit and finish were microscopic in detail.

orig.jpg

Credit given to the website owners and forgiveness asked for posting an ad photo, but I really wished to share such artistry as it applies to integral knives.

Coop

I've seen and handled a number of Dietmar Kressler's knives and they are just like in the photo: perfect. There ain't no hidden flaws that don't show up in the pic. There just ain't no flaws. :p

I just traded into a Luciano Dorneles 10.5" integral Gaucho style bowie.

Fisk inspired Wolfstooth damascus blade, the integral bolsters are very nicely carved, great stag, nice carved damascus buttcap and finial. Luciano seems to specialize in integral bowies, and the F&F on this one is way up there.

Haven't had a chance to photograph it yet, but here are some pics of it that were sent to me.

Meg' - you can't link pics from your Yahoo inbox, buddy.

Wow, that German chute is a killer!

Joss said:
Meg' - you can't link pics from your Yahoo inbox, buddy.

Wow, that German chute is a killer!

Crap, they're coming up for me in the post, I guess not for anyone else? :)

OK, I suppose I'll have to either publish them or size them way down to attach, I was hoping this would work, but that would be too easy.

OK this should do it. :)

Dorneles_02.jpg

Dorneles_01.jpg

Here are a few Brazilian integrals that form part of the collection of fellow Canadian knife nut Gary Martin:

The top two knives are by Ricardo Vilar, the bottom knife by Gustavo Vilar. Blade lengths are 10", 8" and 6", respectively.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

Cheers,

Roger

Back