Interesting video on knife laws in NYC...ask a cop and go to jail!

To digress just a bit more, I think the issue of state vs city is a lack of understanding on both sides. N.Y.S. is beautiful and much bigger than just the 5 boroughs but ppl who live in the them don’t realize or care. OTOH, most of the states’ money has to do with NYC.

This is a big part of the current power struggle between the Governor and Mayor. Their petty arguments affect many people and cause resentment towards the city/state.

I was wondering, if you're a resident of NY and have a hunting and fishing license which allows you to own and use autos, can you only have one of them or can you collect as many as you want for enjoyment in your own home? If you're just a knife collector who wants to collect autos, but you're not a fisherman or hunter, could you just get the license to buy/own them or do you specifically have to become a fisherman and hunter?

I would say there is not a limit on the number of knives. I would also believe the person should engage in one of the sports and have equipment for it. Fishing is fun! There are many ponds and lakes in NYC were you can fish! The law's exception was to cover their ownership and use for those listed sporting reasons. The law was changed a few years back to allow an upstate museum to display switchblades as they were not owned for the sports use in that case. Of course this is not legal advise.....I would ask your local DA for their opinion and get it in writing....

I would say there is not a limit on the number of knives. I would also believe the person should engage in one of the sports and have equipment for it. Fishing is fun! There are many ponds and lakes in NYC were you can fish! The law's exception was to cover their ownership and use for those listed sporting reasons. The law was changed a few years back to allow an upstate museum to display switchblades as they were not owned for the sports use in that case. Of course this is not legal advise.....I would ask your local DA for their opinion and get it in writing....

Thanks for your input. I'm actually not a NY resident. I was just asking for someone I recently spoke with on Facebook who lives there. He was given an auto knife (I believe a Smith & Wesson one) by an ex-cop and wanted to know what the legalities would be in regards to selling it and what channels one would need to go through for such a thing. He mentioned he had friends who got arrested for carrying autos in public and their fishing/hunting licenses didn't help them. They weren't engaged in either designated sport at the time, so it seems you need to specifically be engaging in the sport of fishing or hunting to have the knife in your possession legally.

"More to the story..." like a guy going to work where he uses his folder to cut boxes. So on one hand there is more story, but on the other it's a clear cut "Communist state?" I'm lost already.

6 minutes is a long time, I guess.

Keep up the good honest work Doug!

Yeah...because everyone is in a position to uproot their entire lives and move to another state hoping for employment and affordable housing:rolleyes:

I did.
My family and my rights come first.
I shut down a successful business of 12 years, sold contracts, and let 7 employees go so I could move my family out of CA and back home to GA last year.
There is not enough gold in the entire state to get me to go back. Not even for a visit.
NYC is entirely out of the question.

They keep saying they've created a safer city, but they haven't. Instead they've created a police state.

I disagree with you saying that NY isn't a safer city.

In terms of crime, yes the NYPD has indeed been able to squash it over the past few decades. I believe NYC is considered to be the safest big city in America at this point in time reflective of compstat (crime analysis comparisons to previous years) ... (NOT because of our current mayor, he was handed it all from the previous 3-4 of his predecessors work... they did all the heavy lifting which "he" takes credit for!)

Police state? NY has always been a Police state, mainly after 9/11 happened, they got a lot stricter with everything.

Problem is, with all of this anti-cop rhetoric and wanting a hands-off policy between cops and the public, you will allow NY to slip back in to the crime ridden city it once was many years ago, with all of that police work for naught. --- then you will have an outcry for police to be more hands-on once it gets bad enough... It's like a pendulum.... 30-40 years ago it was all the way to one side.... today its all the way on the other...

Police are there for a purpose, we shouldn't limit their ability to do their job...

P.S. for everybody that thinks if any/all police officers in NYC will arrest you on sight because you have a small gravity knife on you, that is NOT the case and whoever tells you that is the case are feeding you some BS.
I can assure you that many other factors come in to play such as what you are doing with said knife, how they found the knife on your person, and how you speak to the officer, along with the way you look... if you're tatted up with gang tats with prior arrests, I'm quite sure the convo would go A LOT differently than if you are in a suit and have never been arrested before.
Too many people catch an attitude right off the bat with officers, which lead them down a bad path. Most of the time officers aren't even trying to arrest people and having a knife on you isn't a "must arrest" situation so the officer has plenty of discretion with what he chooses to do. Another thing you have to understand is that a lot of these articles and videos like the one posted on this thread are trying to push their agenda, just like the other side is...

NYC is a unique place and not knife or gun friendly, and honestly the majority of the people here are not the type of people to walk around with a knife or a gun on them... I am afraid the majority of the people who'd been carrying knives if it were made legal, would be the same people carrying knives on them now, the "bad" ones.

Hard discussion to have through text on a forum/ alot was left out... but is all I have time for...

I disagree with you saying that NY isn't a safer city.

In terms of crime, yes the NYPD has indeed been able to squash it over the past few decades. I believe NYC is considered to be the safest big city in America at this point in time reflective of compstat (crime analysis comparisons to previous years) ... (NOT because of our current mayor, he was handed it all from the previous 3-4 of his predecessors work... they did all the heavy lifting which "he" takes credit for!)

Police state? NY has always been a Police state, mainly after 9/11 happened, they got a lot stricter with everything.

Problem is, with all of this anti-cop rhetoric and wanting a hands-off policy between cops and the public, you will allow NY to slip back in to the crime ridden city it once was many years ago, with all of that police work for naught. --- then you will have an outcry for police to be more hands-on once it gets bad enough... It's like a pendulum.... 30-40 years ago it was all the way to one side.... today its all the way on the other...

Police are there for a purpose, we shouldn't limit their ability to do their job...

P.S. for everybody that thinks if any/all police officers in NYC will arrest you on sight because you have a small gravity knife on you, that is NOT the case and whoever tells you that is the case are feeding you some BS.
I can assure you that many other factors come in to play such as what you are doing with said knife, how they found the knife on your person, and how you speak to the officer, along with the way you look... if you're tatted up with gang tats with prior arrests, I'm quite sure the convo would go A LOT differently than if you are in a suit and have never been arrested before.
Too many people catch an attitude right off the bat with officers, which lead them down a bad path. Most of the time officers aren't even trying to arrest people and having a knife on you isn't a "must arrest" situation so the officer has plenty of discretion with what he chooses to do. Another thing you have to understand is that a lot of these articles and videos like the one posted on this thread are trying to push their agenda, just like the other side is...

NYC is a unique place and not knife or gun friendly, and honestly the majority of the people here are not the type of people to walk around with a knife or a gun on them... I am afraid the majority of the people who'd been carrying knives if it were made legal, would be the same people carrying knives on them now, the "bad" ones.

Hard discussion to have through text on a forum/ alot was left out... but is all I have time for...

NYC has been an unconstitutional police state for a long time.
When a government removes the right of the people to defend themselves, criminals can then rule the streets.
The government can then take away more freedoms under the pretense of "safety".

You can't rule innocent, free men.
But you can pass enough laws that eventually everyone is either disarmed or deemed a criminal.

The only reason to disarm free men is to force them to do something they don't want to do.

What does "not the type of people to walk around with a gun or knife" mean?
Do you mean they aren't the type of people to excercise rights guaranteed in the Constitution?

2a doesn't grant citizens a right.

It plainly restricts the government from infringing in any way on the right of free men to own and bear arms.

4a guarantees citizens freedom from unreasonable search and seizure.

NYC seems to disregard many of the rights of it's citizens that are protected in our constitution, so that it can control free men.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-Ben Franklin

NYC has been an unconstitutional police state for a long time.
When a government removes the right of the people to defend themselves, criminals can then rule the streets.
The government can then take away more freedoms under the pretense of "safety".

You can't rule innocent, free men.
But you can pass enough laws that eventually everyone is either disarmed or deemed a criminal.

The only reason to disarm free men is to force them to do something they don't want to do.

What does "not the type of people to walk around with a gun or knife" mean?
Do you mean they aren't the type of people to excercise rights guaranteed in the Constitution?

2a doesn't grant citizens a right.

It plainly restricts the government from infringing in any way on the right of free men to own and bear arms.

4a guarantees citizens freedom from unreasonable search and seizure.

NYC seems to disregard many of the rights of it's citizens that are protected in our constitution, so that it can control free men.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-Ben Franklin

I am not trying to get in to any type of argument, my statement was just my observation on the matter...(opinion) and to answer you question.... considering your even asking me about "not the type of people to walk around with a gun or knife"...

pretty much tells me you have never spent any real time in New York City or the other boroughs and havn't gotten to know many people here... If you have you would understand what I meant...

remember.. the laws aren't there because the majority of people don't want them there... You'll find that the majority of people here in NYC have no problem with knife and guns being illegal.... the majority of the people here (especially the younger generation... and those in college) are extremely anti 2A... and are not afraid to make that known...

P.S. I am not saying thats how I feel.. just my observation on the general public that lives in NYC... I am pro 2A... without a doubt... :thumbsup:

I am not trying to get in to any type of argument, my statement was just my observation on the matter...(opinion) and to answer you question.... considering your even asking me about "not the type of people to walk around with a gun or knife"...

pretty much tells me you have never spent any real time in New York City or the other boroughs and havn't gotten to know many people here... If you have you would understand what I meant...

remember.. the laws aren't there because the majority of people don't want them there... You'll find that the majority of people here in NYC have no problem with knife and guns being illegal.... the majority of the people here (especially the younger generation... and those in college) are extremely anti 2A... and are not afraid to make that known...

P.S. I am not saying thats how I feel.. just my observation on the general public that lives in NYC... I am pro 2A... without a doubt... :thumbsup:

"No True Scotsman..." Eh?
Lol
its okay.
I understand what you meant.
The answer is "free men."
And yes, there aren't many left in NYC.

Always remember:
Rights are like muscles. If you don't exercise them you will lose them.

sgt244, while I agree with a lot of what you say, there are parts of the NYPD that actively go after knife arrests no matter how the person behaves, or their lack of priors. I sense you were a former MOS and if so you understand the numbers game. Many of these collars are end of month, need that last few numbers, or the transit guys.....

the majority of the people here (especially the younger generation... and those in college) are extremely anti 2A... and are not afraid to make that known...

That is sad that they trust the government that much.
The government can't seem to balance a checkbook.
It's also sad that they are uneducated on their own rights, and the constitution.

Anti 2a means you want to increase government control over citizens.

2A doesn't grant any rights. It limits Government authority to infringe on freedom.

NYC's crime rate rose as a direct result of empowering criminals and restricting honest citizens rights to self defense and protection.
Criminals don't obey laws, only good people do.

sgt244 sgt244 , there is always a fine line between public safety and the protection of citizen’s rights.

I’m a life long New Yorker. Born in the Bronx in 1951, raised in Manhattan and Queens, went to schools in Brooklyn. I learned young to stay off the streets and out of the bars. Go straight from point A to point B and don’t hang out on street corners or parks at night. Two days of the year I rarely left the house were New Year’s Eve and St. Patty’s Day.

Different administrations policed the City with different policies. I got a Business Permit when Kelly was Commissioner. Wouldn’t have happened with the administrations immediately before or since. What message does that project? Politics is the only answer I can come up with. Governors are the same story. Cuomo is a bully in all things visible.

Many enthusiasts on this forum bemoan the charge NYPD has in it’s mission not because it deters or doesn’t deter crime, but because our natural rights as citizens are infringed. @BadNinja is 100% correct in saying the Bill of Rights does not grant those rights. It protects them as naturally given to us by God in the Constitution. (I’m not preaching. See John Locke for 18th century context.)

Self defense aside, knives are tools used to cut things. As a chef I worked in Midtown for more than three decades. As a young cook in the 80s I’d carry my work knife roll home after midnight on the 7 train or through Penn Station placed squarely across my lap prepared for anything bad. I even turned all the blades aoutward before rolling them up in the thin canvas. I’ve carried an SAK since my tween years. Now I’m just as likely to slip a flipper folder in another pocket. It’s more convenient to use.

Therein lies the conundrum. I have no solution, only concern for my rights.

sgt244, while I agree with a lot of what you say, there are parts of the NYPD that actively go after knife arrests no matter how the person behaves, or their lack of priors. I sense you were a former MOS and if so you understand the numbers game. Many of these collars are end of month, need that last few numbers, or the transit guys.....

I agree with you, 100%... I guess I was referring to the NYPD as a whole--patrol wise, sure you got your spec op teams like crime doing their thing but today i'd say that makes up a very small percentage of the police work that is going on... Especially now, with the hands-off policing that has been pushed on to the dept. by the politicians in recent years, nobody on patrol is jumping out and tossing anyone like they once were in years past. Today they want the police to be reactionary as opposed to proactive it seems...

That is sad that they trust the government that much.
The government can't seem to balance a checkbook.
It's also sad that they are uneducated on their own rights, and the constitution.

Anti 2a means you want to increase government control over citizens.

2A doesn't grant any rights. It limits Government authority to infringe on freedom.

NYC's crime rate rose as a direct result of empowering criminals and restricting honest citizens rights to self defense and protection.
Criminals don't obey laws, only good people do.

I agree with ya bud (even liked your post!)... hopefully you understand that I am on your side!

The thing is...I am a native New Yorker born and raised... Gone from pre-school to graduating college here... and I have always been the ONLY person in the class to hold this stance (that you and I share).... Especially in college, we would have conversations about gun control ALOT in many classes and it was usually me versus the entire class AND the professor as sad as that seems!

It always rubbed me the wrong way that a professor would openly address the class with THEIR beliefs and opinions on things... as opposed to sharing both sides of the argument and allowing the student to decide for themselves...
I never once had gotten any support from any student besides 1 my entire 4 years at college on the matter of the 2A... everybody "attacked" me --including the professor and I'd have to try and defend my stance against 20-30 people at a time... ---this is a BIG reason why I said some things that I did in the above posts.

A part of it is that society (especially) in a big city like New York is so disconnected from guns... The only time people here see one is if a police officer is around, or in the movies... People don't raise livestock here, they dont go hunting here, they dont go fishing here, they dont go camping here... (sure some people do these things but it is probably like 2 or 3% of the population of NYC)...

My point is, people here don't quite understand guns/ the 2a and only see what the media pushes out at the 5o'clock news time... which is always heartbreaking stories about some child getting shot in the crossfire of a shootout between gangs...and a out-cry for more gun control...

The news has never shown a law abiding citizen defending their life with a legally owned firearm ... which happens all the time as well...

My above posts were merely my observations of the people as a whole that live in NYC... I love new yorkers... and I love New York itself... but some things I absolutely hate.... Can't have it all I presume.... and the grass isn't always greener

sgt244 sgt244 , there is always a fine line between public safety and the protection of citizen’s rights.

I’m a life long New Yorker. Born in the Bronx in 1951, raised in Manhattan and Queens, went to schools in Brooklyn. I learned young to stay off the streets and out of the bars. Go straight from point A to point B and don’t hang out on street corners or parks at night. Two days of the year I rarely left the house were New Year’s Eve and St. Patty’s Day.

Different administrations policed the City with different policies. I got a Business Permit when Kelly was Commissioner. Wouldn’t have happened with the administrations immediately before or since. What message does that project? Politics is the only answer I can come up with. Governors are the same story. Cuomo is a bully in all things visible.

Many enthusiasts on this forum bemoan the charge NYPD has in it’s mission not because it deters or doesn’t deter crime, but because our natural rights as citizens are infringed. @BadNinja is 100% correct in saying the Bill of Rights does not grant those rights. It protects them as naturally given to us by God in the Constitution. (I’m not preaching. See John Locke for 18th century context.)

Self defense aside, knives are tools used to cut things. As a chef I worked in Midtown for more than three decades. As a young cook in the 80s I’d carry my work knife roll home after midnight on the 7 train or through Penn Station placed squarely across my lap prepared for anything bad. I even turned all the blades aoutward before rolling them up in the thin canvas. I’ve carried an SAK since my tween years. Now I’m just as likely to slip a flipper folder in another pocket. It’s more convenient to use.

Therein lies the conundrum. I have no solution, only concern for my rights.

Well as far as your argument about the bill of rights protecting the naturally given rights given to us by god... I may understand this as a christian man, but how would you explain this to an atheist? Religions have been on the decline for many years now, and far fewer people are religious today especially the younger generations....so it will only get harder to explain as time progresses.

Besides that, Its cool that I have found a fellow NY'er on the forums.. so hello! =D

Also... about people "bemoaning" the charge of the NYPD as you stated...
People are ignorant and too moronic to understand the NYPD isn't in charge of making/creating the laws they enforce -- that would be their politicians... and i can guarantee you one thing, if you asked anybody who was in charge of their district or if they've voted they'd look at you puzzled because people are not involved in politics AT ALL...my favorite line is "my vote doesn't matter anyway"!LOL. They don't understand how the system works, they dont care how it works, they just want to sit around and play on their new Iphone and complain about it and expect somebody to fix it for them... the ONLY time people have anything to say about politics is usually uniformed/misinformed nonsense when a new president is being voted for... but again they don't quite understand that other elections (on a local level) are just as important as the bigger national elections...

Whats the conundrum? What do you not have a solution for?? You can have plenty of concern for your rights, but what have you done to try and bring about change???

Well as far as your argument about the bill of rights protecting the naturally given rights given to us by god... I may understand this as a christian man, but how would you explain this to an atheist? Religions have been on the decline for many years now, and far fewer people are religious today especially the younger generations....so it will only get harder to explain as time progresses.

Besides that, Its cool that I have found a fellow NY'er on the forums.. so hello! =D

Also... about people "bemoaning" the charge of the NYPD as you stated...
People are ignorant and too moronic to understand the NYPD isn't in charge of making/creating the laws they enforce -- that would be their politicians... and i can guarantee you one thing, if you asked anybody who was in charge of their district or if they've voted they'd look at you puzzled because people are not involved in politics AT ALL...my favorite line is "my vote doesn't matter anyway"!LOL. They don't understand how the system works, they dont care how it works, they just want to sit around and play on their new Iphone and complain about it and expect somebody to fix it for them... the ONLY time people have anything to say about politics is usually uniformed/misinformed nonsense when a new president is being voted for... but again they don't quite understand that other elections (on a local level) are just as important as the bigger national elections...

Whats the conundrum? What do you not have a solution for?? You can have plenty of concern for your rights, but what have you done to try and bring about change???

TV and media is a terrible way to educate...especially in today's environment.
History is the best teacher.

"God given rights" isn't a religious statement.
It mean there are certain inalienable, natural rights we are endowed with at birth, as human beings. You don't need permission from government, and the government doesn't have the right or authority to infringe upon them in any way.
Government is tasked with securing and protecting these rights.
That's why this great country was founded, and why we are free men (and women).

We are granted the right to bear arms so that we can excercise our right to be free from a tyrannical oppressive government.

Schools used to teach history and explain this.
Today they dumb down the populace so that they are easier to rule.
But that's not their job. Free men don't need rulers.

I could go on, but let's not drift too far off topic.
I support Law enforcement, probably more than most.
I have many family members who are active law enforcement and first responders.
We take a different approach, and our local LEOs are highly respected for it.

Dont get it wrong....They are very hands on here, but they don't treat the average citizen like a suspect, and would defend our rights with passion.
Citizens here will also defend the rights of our officers.
Many of our local LEO are former military, and take our rights (especially 2A) very seriously.

I'm 50 year old. In high school we carried knives, and had long guns in our trucks in the school parking lot.
There was never a stabbing or shooting.

Remember there are tons of legal guns and great hunting/fishing in New York State, just a short drive outside the bubble of NYC. ;)

Back