Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

We were particularly lucky to handle Stan's beautiful wee hammer Duncan, apparently he has had the same one all his working life, and reckons he knows the feel and weight of it so well that he'd be lost without it.

The pronged tool Stan is demonstrating here is called a Parser. Stan told us that at the time, but I forgot the name and had to look it up. Stan may be the last cutler in the world to be still using one.

Great detective work Jack! - I was trying to think of the word, but it went through the dense cloud of my mind :), the hammer was pretty cool - tiny and very light wasn't it! just imagine the amount of pins that wee thing has placed!!!

This is such a cool thread. Thanks Jack and Duncan for sharing with us.

That pic of Duncan and Stan and Charlie's knife has to be the Barlow pic of the year! :thumbup:
theres a couple good ones of you two too, thanks for the Jolly Good Show Mates!

I could not resist trying to zoom in on the photo with Duncan and Stan holding the Charlow, who took that one, Sue?
As I cant even begin to fathom the mans hands, much less the man breadth of character, Im just trying to see what he's holding LOL! (maybe Dunc will post a clearer pic of the knife the MasterSmith held in his legendary hands)

5ABA1E9F-09A0-434B-86A1-AEE7972FA168-9039-000004E023662432_zpsb224978b.jpg

Last edited:
Great detective work Jack! - I was trying to think of the word, but it went through the dense cloud of my mind :), the hammer was pretty cool - tiny and very light wasn't it! just imagine the amount of pins that wee thing has placed!!!

Thanks Duncan, the way Stan pronounced it was more like Parsee I think.

This is such a cool thread. Thanks Jack and Duncan for sharing with us.

:)

theres a couple good ones of you two too, thanks for the Jolly Good Show Mates!

I could not resist trying to zoom in on the photo with Duncan and Stan holding the Charlow, who took that one, Sue?
As I cant even begin to fathom the mans hands, much less the man breadth of character, Im just trying to see what he's holding LOL! (maybe Dunc will post a clearer pic of the knife the MasterSmith held in his legendary hands)

Thanks Jon, that's Duncan's special flat-belly Charlow in red bone :) The light was coming through the window pretty strong where we were standing.

Nice write-up. I enjoyed the read, thank you for sharing.

Wow, what a simply fantastic thread! Thank you so much for sharing your trip, you two. Looks like you had a ball. :D

A VERY memorable visit and so glad you were able to post such a great write up on it as well, really appreciate the both of you for doing so!
G2

Got a guy there I have wanted to meet someday, Duncan. You too Jack! I have always admired the work of Mr. Shaw. I am envious of you guys.

Thanks for the kind words fellers, glad our visit was of interest to everyone. Look forward to showing you round one day Brad :)

Knowing that Sue had taken a load of better photographs, and that most of the few I took myself were either very similar (and taken through a dirty window) or taken hurriedly and without flash (and so slightly blurred), I only posted a few pics with my original post. Seeming as there’s been so much interest in our visit to Stan’s workshop though, I thought I’d post the other pics here.

Wow- what a fantastic time Sue and I had, and meeting Stan with Jack was simply awesome! Thank you Jack my friend for that, and thank you for posting these extra photo's!!!!

Here is a very Famous Castle called Stalker Castle.......

And here is Stalker Jack peeking through Stan Shaws windows lol...

Last edited:
And here is Stalker Jack peeking through Stan Shaws windows lol...

LOL! Yes, I think that was at the point it was looking as if we wouldn't get any further!

Great to have some photographic reminders of a great day :)

Stan must have liked you guys. It looks like he could put a good dent in one's skull with the end of that boring stick.
Great shots of the great man at work, and I love those Scottish tower houses.

Back