Introducing the ESEE DPx H•E•S•T /F (Hostile Environment Survival Tool / Folding)

Well I must confess I dont get what all the excitement is about. A 3 inch, thick folder does not strike me as the best slicer around or good for much of anything really and what's all this about survival? If you're really worried about surviving you'd surely have a fixed blade with you....

I am sure that ESEE are capable of producing a really fine folder, possibly even a legendary one, but I'm not at all certain that this is it.

Well I must confess I dont get what all the excitement is about. A 3 inch, thick folder does not strike me as the best slicer around or good for much of anything really and what's all this about survival? If you're really worried about surviving you'd surely have a fixed blade with you....

I am sure that ESEE are capable of producing a really fine folder, possibly even a legendary one, but I'm not at all certain that this is it.

Bro , it's a cool folder that obviously a lot of folks are looking forward to.

I dont get what excites a lot of people about a lot of different knives but that is like anything else in life... some like their steak rare , some like it well done and then you got your vegetarians.....

Ya see now !!? :)

Tostig

and you know what?
there's nothing wrong with that attitude/opinion.
Both RAT & RYP have stated that this isn't the knife for everyone -but for those that want/need something this stout, it should work fine.

It DOES look cool and I am interested, I check the ESEE site now and again and last I knew this was TBA so a post here is great.

Didn't see much on this rotoblock people are talking about, can anyone explain why it's err, the RAT's ass?

Allows the hinderer lockstop to lock the lockbar in place.. essentially making it a bent fixed blade rather than a broken one...

Hinderer and Lionsteel worked something out... it is essentially a locking hinderer lock-stop... where the original hinderer version merely prevented the lockbar from overextending, this one can be "locked" in, holding the lock-bar in the locked position and preventing it from disengaging, essentially making it a fixed lock.

Ahh , clarified. I recall this info back when the Lionsteel folder was in the works , thanks for the reminder.

Tostig

this one can be "locked" in, holding the lock-bar in the locked position and preventing it from disengaging, essentially making it a fixed lock.

I imagine this is what the additional multi tool is for, when the SHTF whip out the multi tool and BAM fixed blade.

I don't know if I'll go on a pre-order, especially since this is a brand new design & run. However, I do think this will be a nice folder.

I don't necessarily think it's an expensive folder, especially considering what it is.

1. It's made by a small production company that does not turn out high volume.

2. It is a Ti frame-lock.

3. The Rotoblock is innovative & while it isn't a FB, should be close to one. The mechanism also seems much more compact & easier to use than that blocking system on an Extreme Ratio (Forget the name of the folder).

As for its size, my guess is that this is made for an international market & the 3" blade length was possibly a design consideration. I could be wrong here, but it's a thought.

Considering that it's made by a small company, the price doesn't seem bad. Ti frame-locks seem to be around $150 & up, so this one's right in the thick of things & when your add ESEE's incredible warranty (I'm assuming that's included), it's not so bad.

... However, I do think this will be a nice folder.

I don't necessarily think it's an expensive folder, especially considering what it is.

1. It's made by a small production company that does not turn out high volume.

2. It is a Ti frame-lock.

3. The Rotoblock is innovative & while it isn't a FB, should be close to one. The mechanism also seems much more compact & easier to use than that blocking system on an Extreme Ratio (Forget the name of the folder).

As for its size, my guess is that this is made for an international market & the 3" blade length was possibly a design consideration. I could be wrong here, but it's a thought.

Considering that it's made by a small company, the price doesn't seem bad. Ti frame-locks seem to be around $150 & up, so this one's right in the thick of things & when your add ESEE's incredible warranty (I'm assuming that's included), it's not so bad.

+1

I see some strange comments in this thread.

If this exact knife had the Strider logo and was selling for $500 I'm pretty sure there would be 6 pages of posts praising them for bringing a hard use, Rotoblocked, Ti/G10, framelock "at an affordable price" to market.

Jeez, there are Benchmades :barf: in the same price bracket as this knife!

What am I missing? Did the people at ESEE steal a trademark, are they stolen valor ex-cons, do they make obnoxious promotional DVDs, or is D2 simply no longer an IN steel with the cool kids?

Surely the knife proposal they have presented with RYP looks AT LEAST as good as the dozens of other $175-$200 knives out there.

BTW, I don't own an ESEE, not even the $25 Rat1. :)

Last edited:
this is an awesome folder. I didn't realise it's 3 inch, thought it was 3.3-3.5". I'm gonna get it, that's for sure. I love the way it looks.

is it going to be $175 street price? I wish it came down to $150, I'd get 2. one to keep, the other to abuse the shit out of.

Back