1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Is the HI subforum going registered only?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by jdk1, Nov 15, 2012.

1. kookery

kookery

Oct 11, 2012
    Please reread the part about RSS notifications. I'm telling you RSS doesn't work anymore. There should be no need to sit here all day clicking "reload" because that's what RSS is for, and it no longer works. One more time, RSS does not work now.

2. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I understood the RSS doesnt work. I'm sorry it doesnt work.

3. wroughndt

wroughndt Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2011
    I don't mind it. I understand why you would want to do it and it really doesn't effect me at all. I don't think it will cost any business either, the website is still there and anyone that would be interested in DOTD would or should be a member anyways. I will still be lurking either way.

4. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I understand why it was done. The calculation has been made that its worth it and it doesn't effect me at all because I always sign in, but I do see a down side.

I found this place by accident randomly wandering in the wilderness and it came to be my home. However, I would not have preregistered just to see if it was where I belonged. Its simply a decision; pros and cons.

5. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    This was a considered move, as i had as similar experience, Shann. But i took the chance to register and check things out. I was so impressed by the comraderie and friendliness here that i stayed and helped out as much as possible, buying what i could afford. The only constants in life are birth, death and change. Take a chance. Have hope. Essential ingredients to positive change.

6. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I hear you. We have to make considered decisions every day. On balance I certainly understand the decision. I'm eternally grateful that I found this little oasis and also grateful to you for moderating\helping with everything that goes on here. Thanks.

7. kookery

kookery

Oct 11, 2012
    This is how I found it too. Another idea would be to impose restrictions temporarily (like only weekends), or only as needed (when there are problems).

8. Shaggy

Shaggy

Jan 30, 2012
    Another possible option:
    separate out the Cantina forum and require no registration for that but include "stickied" information about registering for DOTD's and links to HI website...?

9. kookery

kookery

Oct 11, 2012
    Separate out the sales postings in an unrestricted forum so I can be notified via RSS again.

10. GoodStuff

GoodStuff

Oct 3, 2012
    Ditto that bro.
    I automated my DOD watch long ago.
    And now, I cant buy as many Kukries.
    Thanks a lot.
    :grumpy:

11. peak

peak

May 13, 2012
    Yup, this is super inconvenience.

12. kookery

kookery

Oct 11, 2012
    Another idea I just had is to make an announcement topic to post links to the newest sales postings. Then, I can just subscribe to it to get email notification about something new. It would also be handy for catching up on what I missed, in chronological order (as long as no comment posts are allowed).

13. PghMitchS

PghMitchS

Oct 13, 2007
    Whoa! My young(ish) heart had quite a shock when I did not see HI on the forums! Went to the website and was asked to sign in when I was bounced back here.

I can understand the reason for it, but "The Incident", as it has become known, is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. It is hard to belieb so many people could be inconvenienced by one person's actions. Yeah, I guess knowing who is at your door before you open it is better than moving to a new home. I do not envy the moderators for having to make this decision, but I glad the Forum is still here.

14. apapercut

apapercut

Nov 8, 2003
    Now I have lived with the changes for a while I support the new system.

15. Torm

Torm

Jul 12, 2007
    Seems fair enough that a registration is required, it's not like it costs anything for the basic membership anyways. I came here years ago because when I googled a blade-related question this site always came up first; it's likely the same for many others who find bladeforums.com. This doesn't seem to be hiding from customers at all, but rather simply requiring those folks create a profile in order to contribute.

16. mtnfalcon

mtnfalcon

Feb 24, 2006
    kookery, will you please teach us how to get RSS notifications or email notifications for new postings in the HI forum?

17. GregS

GregS

May 6, 2008
    I think it's a good thing, it's a good decision for many reasons. Whatever makes business easier and enables them to keep producing amazing tools is alright by me. AFAIC Yangdu and the moderators have made yet another good move.

18. kookery

kookery

Oct 11, 2012
    It's not a good move if there are a few very easy ways to work around the problems it caused, and they're not being done. I've already described some solutions, but I don't think anybody noticed.

19. kookery

kookery

Oct 11, 2012
    Sure, I'd be happy to. We just have to wait for HI to cooperate.

20. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Everyone noticed, and it was duly noted. It is just not what Yangdu wants at this time. HI is not just in business to unload knives quickly. We simply want people to to participate as well as purchase. It would be far cheaper, easier, and more profitable for Yangdu to dump knives on eBay, but that wouldn't really build community would it?

Nothing needs "fixed" right now.