1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Is the HI subforum going registered only?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by jdk1, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I'm going to chalk it up to me having a long day, so I'm going to step back. However, you're passive aggressive barbs don't sit well with me, personally. Perhaps I'm reading too much into things, and I apologize if that is the case. Just laying it out there...there is no "cooperation" owed to you by HI.

2. kookery

kookery

Oct 11, 2012
    No one "official" had posted anything in this discussion in the months since I posted my suggestions, so there was every reason to believe you considered the matter closed, and had lost interest in following this discussion. There is no deeper meaning to my choice of the word "cooperate". It just means the obvious - that I'd be willing to help that fellow set up notifications if HI is willing to help too, because I can't help do that without HI's cooperation.

I thought this through before I made my posts, and the fact that I had to think that hard about it means I probably shouldn't have posted, but I couldn't resist when someone pleaded for my help, which I am able to give. I would feel crappy if I said no, or if I just ignored him without any explanation about why I can't help him. You probably should have locked this topic and formally ended the discussion to prevent it from being dredged up again, especially when it unfairly makes you look like the bad guy.

I have no interest in butting heads with you in an inherent bad faith cold war thing, so if I can't avoid conflict, I think it's best if I leave again. I never had any intention to be anything other than helpful, but I'm a bold red type A do-gooder personality, so if I'm not in the lead, I will often unintentionally stumble out of line anyway. There are good times and places for that, but it's not always welcome (for good reasons), and it can be awkward in rejecting it. I don't envy your job here. Sorry for the trouble.

3. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Steely got it right; kookery's postings are a textbook example of passive-aggressive.

1. He loves the HI khukuris and their tradition. All he wants changed are the traditional designs and materials.

2. He loves HI and the openness of the forum. All he wants changed are the business practices so that HI can operate like the big corporations and become a money-making machine. Perhaps Donald Trump can be called in as an advisor. (That's my idea; kookery didn't actually mention Trump.)

3. He feels bad about this discussion being "dredged up again," but he's the one that did so. He couldn't help himself because one person asked him a technical question about RSS feeds. It never occurred to K to just send a private response to that person.

4. He's a "bold red type A do-gooder personality" who just wants to help everybody, as long as they agree with him and do what he wants. It's worth noting, along with my none-too-subtle sarcasm, that in K's original complaint he seemed mostly annoyed that he had lost the sharking advantage of using the RSS feed, which most others did not use.

5. K says, "f I can't avoid conflict, I think it's best if I leave again." Another form of passive-aggressive: stir up the pond and then say you're walking away because it's muddy and you don't like to get dirt on your boots.

My own first reaction to the registered-only policy was negative. However, I quickly found that I liked knowing who else was on at any given time. It adds a sense of community, especially when one begins to recognize the forum handles of regulars. Not the deepest kind of community, but a lot better than total anonymity. If this forum were only a place to buy knives, it wouldn't matter, but since it is a continuing discussion group with a shared interest, it's nice to know who is actually "there" when one reads or posts.

4. GregS

GregS

May 6, 2008
    You can make yourself invisible by editing your profile, this means nobody can see you at the bottom of threads or forums.