It followed me home (Part 2)

I do have some rafting axes - I have one that I've grown to like quite a bit - A Collins in a box. No cheeks to speak of but it is so thick that with a decent grind it scares wood apart.

I think I've passed on many of them for the same "First World Axe Issue" that I have just scanning past swamping patterns. This area and west to the coast seems to have been home to a few of them. How many I have now I would have to go out and see - I've set up and parted with several to fund my axeventures.

There are still places ripe with things to find but it is becoming less and less.

This weekend for example:

Axe Shop by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Axe Shop by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

There was way more than this but I got distracted when the owner said to go out back to the "Bone Yard". The enclosed lot behind their building is full of rusting fun - those rhino looking brush hooks, old axes, large saws, and peavey tools that all have lived the salt air coastal life, buoys, railroad hammers, blacksmith tongs, etc. Stuff that just hasn't made it inside I guess or maybe stuff that really doesn't sell given the import population, uptown tourist clientele, and locals who just see it all the time and it qualifies as junk lol. I have been leaving more stuff than I take - I do like to find it still and I think we all like knowing it's still out there. :thumbsup:

*I believe that axe on the left is a Plumb Cruiser with Permabond holding that handle in there. This guy's wife loves hatchets and he is into double bits. I think HickorynSteel would have liked the stack of half hatchets on the shelf behind me in that second picture.
You're probably right, but I do find a nice vintage scout hatchet to be pretty attractive as well.

I think the reason I have such an interest in types of half hatchets is because of my search for a riggers axe head to built what I think would be an sfa killer. I've discovered how many different types there are, and one of the coolest are those true temper square poll half hatchets ( pretty sure that what they've called them )

That looks I've a dream of a store to browse through, so thanks a bunch for sharing those pics.

My pleasure. That place really is a honey hole of sorts. I'll acknowledge that the reality is I take these pictures of this stuff to share here with you guys.

I am glad you get a kick out of it!

My pleasure. That place really is a honey hole of sorts. I'll acknowledge that the reality is I take these pictures of this stuff to share here with you guys.

I am glad you get a kick out of it!
That's the same reason I take pictures, if I need pictures to remember something I saw or experienced then it probably wasn't a big deal.

Geez Agent H that's a strange one. The 8 appears to be upside down and the whole thing looks to be backward to denote month and year of manufacture: 3/83.

Any guesses as to this marking on the GBA boy's axe? Looks like where there would normally be a weight - missing a digit?

GBA weight/mark by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Here's another one, a GBA with a 38-3 (so I think it's likely there isn't a missing digit, nor was it a one-time fluke, since this one has a dash and not a slash mark):

vintage-gransfors-bruks-gba-single_1_b2dec204d2a2ea30632b4c59501bd828.jpg

from https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-gransfors-bruks-gba-single-52636845

Regarding that Gransfors 38/3, here's something from an old GBA listing, FWIW:

The Model 38/3 Yankee was in productions from 1950-80. The reason its called "Yankee" is because its profile is that of American axes. The "3" stands for overall weight w/ sheath.

Thank you Steve! Uncle Pimpy really does have a noticeable style no matter what he makes lol.

The Gransfors 38/3 (or 38-3) might indicate the 3rd option for Gransfors' "No. 38 Camping" model, available in these three sizes:
1-1/4#
1-1/2#
1-3/4#

... as shown in this Gransfors document said to be from around 1980 (photo from wdmn):

rtqo8n.jpg

...Looks very similar to the "camping" axe in this advertisement (which also has a 1 1/4lb option) circa 1980:

rtqo8n.jpg

Thanks.

I'll have to weigh it when I get home. It feels 2+lbs or so.

I do appreciate you taking an interest and looking up resources Steve.

As mentioned before the edge has seen a grinder but it is skin deep - nothing that sharpening it right won't completely make disappear.

It struck me as lonely and and unappreciated where it was. It was the right thing to do lol.
Thanks for rescuing it and giving it a good home
And thanks for the pics

Jblyttle, I am counting 33 heads - did you trade on weight? That is equal to or greater than most fanatics collections :thumbsup:

Do you find Pulaskis much in your area?

Last edited:
A tough act to follow, my wife gets upset when I have more than a couple in my pack and continue to walk through the flea market looking at more. This Collins did in a manner follow me home, I looked at it and had walked away when the guy followed me offering to sell it for even less. I had already made up my mind I was going to buy it.
[url=

A tough act to follow, my wife gets upset when I have more than a couple in my pack and continue to walk through the flea market looking at more. This Collins did in a manner follow me home, I looked at it and had walked away when the guy followed me offering to sell it for even less. I had already made up my mind I was going to buy it.
That's the first jersey pattern house axe I've ever seen.

Back