It followed me home (Part 2)

I like the looks of the handbillhawk under the blue plane.

That is a big slick too compared to some of the tools around it. Great score!

Ah, you must mean the tactical hawk. :D

Very much intended for a chuckle for everyone involved :)

I do like the looks of it though. You had quite a trip there JB- any interesting chats/characters or venues worth a story?

No jblyttle jblyttle but my haul from a recent trip to the coast.

Florence Or by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Older embossed handles for hammers:

Atlas "Tomahawk" Troy Michigan, USA"

Premium (have one of these on a Plumb Pulaski):

GBA’s
Swamping pattern:

GBA boy's axe

Craftsman hatchet sing song mark:

Woodslasher “house axe?” (18 inch)

True Temper Lathing Hatchet – original handleFlorence Or by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickrdle (cross wedge material)

No-name Red Ridge Eye Cruiser:

Stiletto/True Temper rafting head:

Florence Or
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Crab Race - good pulls.

Crab race Florence, Or
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

@ agent h, what's the story with that exceptionally long rafting head in between the double bits. Or is it a wedge?

@ agent h, what's the story with that exceptionally long rafting head in between the double bits. Or is it a wedge?

Beachlogger that one is a 5lb TrueTemper Kelly Works Stiletto marked rafting axe. I went back to the place on my way out of town and picked it up after initially passing on it.

When they became popular they started getting copied, hence 'Genuine Norlund'. At least that's what I've read and it makes sense.

Beachlogger that one is a 5lb TrueTemper Kelly Works Stiletto marked rafting axe. I went back to the place on my way out of town and picked it up after initially passing on it.
That a real prize and definitely worth going back for

I like the Stiletto brand just because it's one of the few west coast axe brands. Nevermind that they outsourced production.

As mentioned before the edge has seen a grinder but it is skin deep - nothing that sharpening it right won't completely make disappear.

It struck me as lonely and and unappreciated where it was. It was the right thing to do lol.

As mentioned before the edge has seen a grinder but it is skin deep - nothing that sharpening it right won't completely make disappear.

It would be nice to reshape that bit. Run the bit straight into your coarse bench grinder. It will remove material faster than it can heat up. With a Sharpie draw a new edge similar to the shape of that Woodslasher house axe - less rounded than it is now, heel fractionally shorter than the toe. Then reprofile.

You have some rafters already, don't you?

I do have some rafting axes - I have one that I've grown to like quite a bit - A Collins in a box. No cheeks to speak of but it is so thick that with a decent grind it scares wood apart.

I think I've passed on many of them for the same "First World Axe Issue" that I have just scanning past swamping patterns. This area and west to the coast seems to have been home to a few of them. How many I have now I would have to go out and see - I've set up and parted with several to fund my axeventures.

There are still places ripe with things to find but it is becoming less and less.

This weekend for example:

Axe Shop by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Axe Shop by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

There was way more than this but I got distracted when the owner said to go out back to the "Bone Yard". The enclosed lot behind their building is full of rusting fun - those rhino looking brush hooks, old axes, large saws, and peavey tools that all have lived the salt air coastal life, buoys, railroad hammers, blacksmith tongs, etc. Stuff that just hasn't made it inside I guess or maybe stuff that really doesn't sell given the import population, uptown tourist clientele, and locals who just see it all the time and it qualifies as junk lol. I have been leaving more stuff than I take - I do like to find it still and I think we all like knowing it's still out there. :thumbsup:

*I believe that axe on the left is a Plumb Cruiser with Permabond holding that handle in there. This guy's wife loves hatchets and he is into double bits. I think HickorynSteel would have liked the stack of half hatchets on the shelf behind me in that second picture.

Back