It followed me home (Part 2)

I've been wanting to add a couple Maine wedge pattern axes but have to buy on the bay since there are none here. I found these two from the same seller who put them into a $5.95 box for a total of less than $35. A double with the diamond eye is a Snow and Nealley and the single bit boys axe has T B A in diamonds.

004_zpseb7e7674.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
005_zpse5088269.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stopped at Menards and found a curly hickory sledge handle.

001_zps263b8bed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Is it just me or is the temper line *much* deeper on one side than the other on that cool double?

Halfaxe,
Glad that double went to a forum member :)- I scored a couple from same guy/batch- honest seller!

Nice to see some heads coming out of Maine.

Bill

Is it just me or is the temper line *much* deeper on one side than the other on that cool double?

It might be laminated. I'm not sure on that, but it wasn't used much if any. The single bit axe is laminated for sure.
Halfaxe,
Glad that double went to a forum member :)- I scored a couple from same guy/batch- honest seller!

Nice to see some heads coming out of Maine.

Bill

Yes he has been posting some nice axe heads and not overcleaning which I like.

Things have been slow lately but I did manage a few things today. I normally pass on those handheld scythe things as I have a few and there isn't much market for them, but this one was in such good shape, from a rare maker and cheap that I had to buy it. I also got a really nice 10lb True Temper sledge, I love the old beveled shape and an unusual big hammer that I think is railroad related. It's a 5lb head and has a RR shield on it with a "K5L" in it. Also a 2.25lb axe head on a 19" straight handle, some other odds and ends.

I also stopped at a woodworking store and bought some new wood. I've been putting new handles on 2-4lb sledge heads and saw these. I picked up a 1.75x1.75x12 osage orange for $6.99 and 4 pieces of 1.75x1.75x13 cherry for $15.99. I'll work a cherry first as they are cheaper and I have 4 of them if I mess up. I have lots of hickory hammer handles that I get for $1 at yard sales, but I wanted to try different things.

Nice finds JB- that wood looks like a good time.

95Ch2yQ.jpg

0aiAgTR.jpg

Interesting boys axe. Swedish GAB. I've tried figuring out the different swede markings - have a nice SAW head here but this one is Gransford Bruks? Input appreciated!

I have acquired quite a few neat projects as of late but I do like a good boy's axe (Pulpwood for some).

Last edited:
A solid if not banner day.

A nice quality True Temper 3.5lb Dayton on a solid 29" handle
An awesome True Temper Flint Edge Connecticut on a cracked and firepit destined 34" handle
A superb Craftsman hatchet on a rock solid original handle
A really nice Grove Tool Works large 18" hatchet (very interesting)
A good full sized fire axe head
An unmarked but excellent 2+lb hewing hatchet head marked "DROP FORGED"

See what $60 can buy you?

Interesting boys axe. Swedish GAB. I've tried figuring out the different swede markings - have a nice SAW head here but this one is Gransford Bruks? Input appreciated!

'AB' is the Swedish equivalent of 'Inc.'. Gransfors used to use GAB instead of GBA. They exported a lot of axes to the US back in the 50's and 60's.

G%20A%20B%20Sweden%20axe.jpg

'AB' is the Swedish equivalent of 'Inc.'. Gransfors used to use GAB instead of GBA. They exported a lot of axes to the US back in the 50's and 60's.

G%20A%20B%20Sweden%20axe.jpg

Your axe (which is a looker) there came up several times in my search. Mine was used as a hammer at one point. I'm debating cleaning it up a bit but I'm not sure if I want to mess with the crown.

Also, the handle has some over-strike damage which makes me inclined to replace it but there seems to be some larger lettering on it - was it typical to ship them to the US with embossed hafts?

T B A (triple diamond) was an Oakland, Maine producer, I have a 3 lb Maine wedge, there should be a date under the poll. 'Twas my first axe, and what got me into the hobby.

T B A (triple diamond) was an Oakland, Maine producer, I have a 3 lb Maine wedge, there should be a date under the poll. 'Twas my first axe, and what got me into the hobby.

No number on my TBA. You know the name of the axe company?

JB, you seem to be dipping into an everlasting well of axes.

Its amazing. The county I came from had about 7700 sq miles and 11500 people, and that was after the building boom an a big influx of people. I think he has access to more axes than we have people here.

Might have been worn off with the mushrooming then, I think TBA was the actual company, the heads were painted and had a paper label I think as mine still has residue of blue and red paint, as well as a paper label. The few scraps of label came off when I cleaned the head up but it wasn't readable anyways. There were a LOT of small time makers in Oakland. Most Oakland Axes are fantastic axes with great steel, what I hate is driving through Oakland myself and seeing the few remnants of the factories, I can't help but wonder what happened to all those axe heads. Heard rumors of them getting dumped in the Kennebec river, might be worth a trip down to the bottom once it warms up.

Its amazing. The county I came from had about 7700 sq miles and 11500 people, and that was after the building boom an a big influx of people. I think he has access to more axes than we have people here.

Could be. There is such a history here, so many people, old farms, mills, big logging history, shipbuilding etc. I think that most of NH was cut down, and all of the big forests that stand today and cover most of the state is all new growth. Probably the same here in MA too, and we all know about ME. On top of that, there is nearly 400 years of history here, and millions upon millions of people. Luckily for you all, there is a new and efficient way of exporting and redistributing our history! ;)

Back