It followed me home (Part 2)

/Newaxes2015012_zps5c7298c3.jpg[/IMG][/URL[URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/sluicebox1/media/Newaxes2015008_zps799520fc.jpg.html]
Newaxes2015010_zps4c6fe341.jpg
[/URL]]
Grabbed these all pretty cheap I think. Going to strip the paint off the 3 and rehang the small double bit. The large broad axe is stamped Pacific and I am trying to find info on it, as well as the draw knife. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking..

Thanks for the info. That should be a good place to start my search. I do like your location Pac North Wet lol it sure has been today. I took a bunch more loose heads out to take a pic in the light outside and it just started dumping on me. Over 2" now in just over 24 hrs. So spent the last hour oiling em up and putting them away till sunny out (July?) Any way thanks again.

I picked up some more today and one of them is a Shapleigh DB. Stamped "Diamond Edge" "4" and "crucible steel" I will try to get a pic up tomorrow once the monsoon stops here. I was hoping the crucible steel stamp would somewhat date it. Thanks for your time. Pics soon to follow.

Two new axes to the collection, I have hewed four 3 meter pines with the 1900, it's a real pleasure to work with. I picked up the Wetterlings at their factory, as usual I'm not very impressed with their axes, but it performs pretty good at log building, notching joints and corners.
ChBTguc.jpg

Yeah, they sure do look good. I bought a Small forest axe for a friends birthday, he never uses it. It hangs on a wall, brand new.. Now that's a shame! :D

Wow! I'd be your friend, my b-day is coming up lol. I'd use it though, I'm surrounded by big Douglass Fir Trees and they would all be in jeopardy. What a nice guy getting that for your friend. It is out of respect for you that he hangs it on his wall. I hope you realize that. Probably one of the nicest things any one has ever bought for his Birthday. Kudos to you.

This thing followed me home yesterday. Flint Edge Dynamic hatchet/hammer.

A3PqxTo.jpg

Last edited:
It would have followed me home for that price.

It was actually a little less on checkout. Kind words to the owner is always allowed.

He also had 6-7 loop style handles in a pile of "junk" - great stuff to me. They are beautiful. I passed them over purely cause I though they were old fish net tying gear. Our crosscut saws had the bolt style. I might have to pick them up. Never know when you might need them lol.

Don't know how they stand up against the bolt style though.

This followed me from the mailbox. I have done nothing to with its current state of urestoration with exception of filing out the top of the eye where it was a bit mashed over.

Weighs 3lbs. It looks like a Kentucky or Kentucky/Baltimore? There is a definite pitch from the top of the eye to the toe of the bit.

Duquesne is a mark I'm unfamiliar with- any experience or knowledge would be appreciate.

z0rDbJ1.jpg

L0aZRUT.jpg

vZHDAW6.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say it's more of a Baltimore-Jersey, but it's got a real hard-earned patina to it that I like.

Last edited:
I haven't been putting up any of my finds recently, but here are some buys/finds from the last couple moths. I've really been trying to add more Walters axes/hatchets to my collection. A nice Walters hatchet it still has a small bit of the original "chief" paper label, what I think is a walters cruiser head 8 1/4" long and 2 3/4lb both off the big auction site. A really nice Sater Banko cruiser 2 1/4lb that I got a couple months ago at an estate sale, a funky bladed pick axe spike hawkish thing I found at a junk shop. The last ones aren't bladed but cool none the less I think. I found them in a box of junk my inlaw's neighbors were throwing away while moving to a new house, a nautilus shell, what I think is a scrimshawed sperm whale tooth, and another big tooth from what I would guess was a good size predatory cat (lion, tiger idk)

Not the best picture. But my dad gave me my great-great-grandfathers double bit to restore. Here is my son with it before I begin.

Lr2GYSd.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a bit dry here, bad time of year, plus we have had about 100 inches of snow in the last 6 weeks, lots of barns and garages hard to access, plus people are just busy (me too) cleaning off roofs, chopping out ice dams etc. I saw a guy today that has been a blacksmith for the last 35 years and he has so much iron and steel in the form of tools that the biggest pickup could not carry it. He wanted to clear out some duplicates or stuff he never uses. This represents $150.

Lots of hammers, all cool ones, I love the 8lb crosspein sledge. A REALLY nice Connecticut, bad handle and have not cleaned to identify yet. An old Craftsman boys axe in great shape, plus a matching head, a few carpenter hatchets including a nice Plumb offset hewing hatchet with glossy permabod, drawknives, spokeshave, lots of good chisels including a 1.5" Witherby, an old but just dirty Stanley Number 5 plane etc. I'm happy. Really getting warmed up for yardsale and fleamarket season. Spring, when everybody's junk comes out into the light!

Back