It followed me home (Part 2)

A lot of the farming communities are new growth here, but quite a bit of what I've explored either hunting or hiking is old, I like the vibe I get from trekking old woods vs new growth for some reason.

Could be. There is such a history here, so many people, old farms, mills, big logging history, shipbuilding etc. I think that most of NH was cut down, and all of the big forests that stand today and cover most of the state is all new growth. Probably the same here in MA too, and we all know about ME. On top of that, there is nearly 400 years of history here, and millions upon millions of people. Luckily for you all, there is a new and efficient way of exporting and redistributing our history! ;)

Heck ya JB, Rescue all you can. Your good at it! I always look forward to seeing what you have found, even when its not axes.

A vintage axe on an older but like new Link handle, a 6lb Plumb hammer, a huge old pair of cutters made in Boston, an unusual Wilton vise, an Atha 3lb sledge, 2 splitting wedges, 3 Stanley planes including a No 5 1/2 and a 7, a full set of large lathe gouges, assorted small stuff.

Nice score of goodies JB! I bet that spokeshave cleans up well. They seem to command decent prices now a days. There aren't too many retail places around that carry new ones in store.

Lots of cool stuff on this thread.

Here's a 19th C ice skate made from a farrier's/wood rasp. Note the blade in 2nd photo. Picked this up this last weekend. A great piece of repurposing.
Picture133_zps3c748ddb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Picture134_zps6362a487.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's a nice find, a great head and a nice size.

My finds today, $35:

A Snow and Neally Bangor Maine full sized head on a 28" original handle
A full sized very nice but so far unidentified head on a busted handle
A boy's axe head, very nice marke "GARANT"- a new name to me
A NOS 36" double bit handle
A hand forged fire poker thingy
A Prentiss Bulldog Vise No 522/512
Two 24" huge wrenches
A wood grenade
A 3.5lb lump hammer stamped Drop Forged Steel Italy
An almost new 4 in 1 file
A 10lb Hubbard sledge head
An 8lb Woodings-Verona US95 Maul head
A small cast iron pan
An old working flint like from chemistry class
A big old HEAVY leather bag to be cut up
A very large and heavy hand forged tool that looks like a bark spud but isn't turned up at the edge, it's just straight

That fire poker and larger spud type thing are probably for Blacksmith's forge. Moving coals in fire etc.

That fire poker and larger spud type thing are probably for Blacksmith's forge. Moving coals in fire etc.

I agree with the small one, but the big one is far too heavy to use holding out. The consensus is that it's an ice-cutter, designed for straight up and down movement.

Slow day, all I found was one lousy hatchet. ;) It even has a price sticker on it that identifies it as being sold by Blacks of Greenock, a UK camping/scouting/outdoors type of store. I found this in an antique store in Cambridge MA for $22. When told the price I just said OK.

Last edited:
I agree with the small one, but the big one is far too heavy to use holding out. The consensus is that it's an ice-cutter, designed for straight up and down movement.

I've seen similar being described as a tool to remove slate shingles. But the blade is serrated on those examples.

the SAW stamp is wetterlings I believe.

Yes, it looks like I found an old version of this: http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/wetterling/scout-hatchet-49386

I wonder when they stopped enamel/epoxying the eye. Also, the handle on the new one looks thicker. Mine looks cleaner too, very smooth surface- the new one is covered with forging marks. The new ones advertise Rockwell hardness of 57-58. The metal does sing whenever touched by other metal like my ring or one of those rivets on the sheath.

I wasn't looking to buy wedges, brush axes or pick heads, but they came as a package with the boy's axe and full sized axe for $15 off of Craigslist. The brush axe is unmarked and has a weld mark- it's scrap but the handle is very nice. The wedges are bent and broken junk. The boy's axe is very clean and marked only "FSS", and the big one is a Collins 4lb Legitimus. It's in great shape too.

The other 4 pieces came from one of my antique store contacts that keeps an eye open for me. I paid $40 for these 4. Two large hatchets, A True Temper Kelly Works Red Warrior, and a Warren Tool Forest King. The hatchet head is a Hults Bruks and the double bit is a 2 3/4lb head, probably some sort of Kelly/True Temper. There is a partial foil label, first letter K, and it has those ridges in the eye.

What sort of shape is the brush axe in?

As a tool its in fine shape. A good edge, a nice thick piece of steel. One of the pieces that holds the wood looks welded on but if not original its looks super strong. I haven't cleaned it looking for a makers mark. I have 4 of these already and there isn't much of a market for them around here so I only get them when they are free basically. If you are interested I'll take better pics.

Its no wonder I can't find axes anymore. 5,6,7 years ago I could find them everywhere. Now that the cool thing to do bug has hit I am struggling to find axes. Damn internet.

Its no wonder I can't find axes anymore. 5,6,7 years ago I could find them everywhere. Now that the cool thing to do bug has hit I am struggling to find axes. Damn internet.

I promise I am only trying to suck up all of the axes within 50 miles of me. :D

Back