It followed me home (Part 2)

You picked a nicer one than you know, I think. It is an American Axe & Tool large hatchet, unbelievable condition. Not my work, but rehandled and finished by the previous owner and forum member. He did quite nice work, it is excellent. No really, head and handle are REALLY nice. Maybe I have something good but not that good for your friend and you will keep this? :D I can't hawk stuff here, but you can ask. I should just get a gold membership to take any question away, but haven' had the time. I think that I will just do it. Anyway, send me a note.

It sounds like something you may want to keep yourself! I envy you having stuff like that at your finger tips. Just doesn't happen in my neck of the woods.

It sounds like something you may want to keep yourself! I envy you having stuff like that at your finger tips. Just doesn't happen in my neck of the woods.

This was the first time that a big batch came looking for me rather than the other way around. I'll still hit yardsales and flea markets because I love the thrill of finding even one hidden gem- in general though, I have had more success with another strategy that saves time and effort. There are just some people that seem to accumulate things for many different reasons. To sell, to collect, maybe they are in the cleanout business or just hoard things. I try to find those people, and also buy from people that find those people.

I'll post detail pics of that hatchet. Even if you don't want it, I think that people will enjoy seeing it. Not a common thing I think. It is may favorite sized axe/hatchet- that is camping/backpack/fireside sized. But, it may be that it is nice and rare enough that I would find myself unable to use it. I have lots of great candidates for users.

Last edited:
This was the first time that a big batch came looking for me rather than the other way around. I'll still hit yardsales and flea markets because I love the thrill of finding even one hidden gem- in general though, I have had more success with another strategy that saves time and effort. There are just some people that seem to accumulate things for many different reasons. To sell, to collect, maybe they are in the cleanout business or just hoard things. I try to find those people, and also buy from people that find those people.

I'll post detail pics of that hatchet. Even if you don't want it, I think that people will enjoy seeing it. Not a common thing I think. It is may favorite sized axe/hatchet- that is camping/backpack/fireside sized. But, it may be that it is nice and rare enough that I would find myself unable to use it. I have lots of great candidates for users.

If you find yourself not wanting to hang onto it, please let me know. I have found something for my friend, but might want it for myself!

I picked this out of a junk shop. Most times I won't even look at a claw hammer. Its a Hartwell Bros Grey Gorge.
I have only seen this type of handle on peen hammers. Makes me wonder if those are also Hartwell bros hammers. I will pay more attention.
Any one know what the name of this handle treatment is?

P1010035_zpsosl6c8l0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010036_zpsznsfuhai.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010043_zpsrmjuybqg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I forgot to add this picture. Its a factory wooden cross wedge, also a first that I have seen on a claw hammer.

Last edited:
This is a Fulton house axe. It has a bigger eye than a hatchet and smaller than a boys axe. The head is heavier than a boys axe but not sure what it weighs. I am pretty sure the handle is original.

P1010039_zpsah3kqcxx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010040_zpskuahoshj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For size comparison. Boys axe on a 18" haft on the left, Fulton house axe 19" haft in the middle and a scout axe on a 14" haft.

This is a Fulton house axe. It has a bigger eye than a hatchet and smaller than a boys axe. The head is heavier than a boys axe but not sure what it weighs. I am pretty sure the handle is original.

P1010039_zpsah3kqcxx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010040_zpskuahoshj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For size comparison. Boys axe on a 18" haft on the left, Fulton house axe 19" haft in the middle and a scout axe on a 14" haft.

I would guesstimate a half pound for that handle plus or minus an ounce or two. The left most axe is my personal favorite size. That's a beauty of a Keen Kutter hatchet.

I picked this out of a junk shop. Most times I won't even look at a claw hammer. Its a Hartwell Bros Grey Gorge.
I have only seen this type of handle on peen hammers. Makes me wonder if those are also Hartwell bros hammers. I will pay more attention.
Any one know what the name of this handle treatment is?

I don't know the name of the treatment, but it is quite common on floor nail hammers... the hammers that are used to strike the floor nail gun...

I don't know the name of the treatment, but it is quite common on floor nail hammers... the hammers that are used to strike the floor nail gun...

Your right. Those are the big rubber mallets. I had forgot all about them.

I would guesstimate a half pound for that handle plus or minus an ounce or two. The left most axe is my personal favorite size. That's a beauty of a Keen Kutter hatchet.

I think you are real close on the handle weight.
It weighed 3lb 0.7oz. So it is probably a 2 1/2 pound head or 40oz. It is surprising how obvious that extra 1/4 pound is in size compared to the boys axe.

It does not feel bad at all. Not something I would carve with, but a work hatchet.
I wonder how bad it would show up a boys axe in head to head comparison. :D

Its got me thinking of an old saddle cruiser that my uncle has. If I put a cruiser head on a 19" haft I would just have a saddle axe on steroids.

Short handle and heavy bit. Makes it a bit dangerous. I have seen miner's axes that have heavy heads and short hafts for underground work.

Short handle and heavy bit. Makes it a bit dangerous. I have seen miner's axes that have heavy heads and short hafts for underground work.

Like this? I really like the look of this old beast. 18 inches, 4lbs total weight.

Or this. A 4lb head on a 19" haft. I actually got this off that action site hoping it had the hardened poll. I have not checked it yet but I suspect I struck out. They were popular with fellers for driving wedges.

P1010044_zpsqhpzakjm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My Dad gave these to me today. I can't see any marks on the axe. The hatchet has Kelly Quality on it. The axe handle is still tight and solid. I might just clean up the head on it. The hatchet is loose and needs replaced. Should I soak them in vinegar over night to get the rust off?

SDC17313.jpg

SDC17314.jpg

SDC17315.jpg

SDC17317.jpg

SDC17319.jpg

Is that a TrueTemper mark on your double bit handle? It looks like a Woodslasher.

That Kelly hatchet is probably my favorite of all time. If you ever need a design you can't get or want to get rid of it let me know.

Since I probably can't talk you out of it, please don't go with the vinegar. You need a soft wire cup brush on an angle grinder, drill ect.

Beautiful Kelly Quality.

Or this. A 4lb head on a 19" haft. I actually got this off that action site hoping it had the hardened poll. I have not checked it yet but I suspect I struck out. They were popular with fellers for driving wedges.

P1010044_zpsqhpzakjm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks like a full sized Council Tool from NC, still in production. I don't believe they have hardened polls.

My Dad gave these to me today. I can't see any marks on the axe. The hatchet has Kelly Quality on it. The axe handle is still tight and solid. I might just clean up the head on it. The hatchet is loose and needs replaced. Should I soak them in vinegar over night to get the rust off?

SDC17313.jpg

That hatchet looks very familiar.

16248039970_0d497b32f7_k.jpg

I think your head is in better shape, but what interests me is that the handle looks the same as well. When I got mine it didn't have a kerf only an I shaped wedge. Curious if yours is the same. Keep the handle if you can, it's a nice one.

... Any one know what the name of this handle treatment is?

P1010035_zpsosl6c8l0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

"Vacuum Cup" according to this site:
http://hickoryhandle.blogspot.com/2013/08/handle-manufacturer-of-past_8255.html

By the way, that site has a Plumb catalog from 1965 available for download.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJxodHACRRuVXYyTDdZaWM2WTQ/view?pli=1

I didn't know the difference between these hatchet types until I read that catalog:
Flooring Hatchet
Car Builders Hatchet
Box Hatchet
Barrel Hatchet
Produce Hatchet
etc.

Is that a TrueTemper mark on your double bit handle? It looks like a Woodslasher.

That Kelly hatchet is probably my favorite of all time. If you ever need a design you can't get or want to get rid of it let me know.

Since I probably can't talk you out of it, please don't go with the vinegar. You need a soft wire cup brush on an angle grinder, drill ect.

Beautiful Kelly Quality.

Its not a true temper. Its a mark for the hickory handle. It says its good for 2-4 lbs I think. I don't think its original to the head. I plan on keeping the Kelly. I'll skip the vinegar. Thanks.

That hatchet looks very familiar.
I think your head is in better shape, but what interests me is that the handle looks the same as well. When I got mine it didn't have a kerf only an I shaped wedge. Curious if yours is the same. Keep the handle if you can, it's a nice one.

It does have the I shaped wedge. The handle has some damage on the bottom and is very loose. It falls out if you hold just the head. I'll probably make a new one the same shape as the original. Thanks for posting the picture. I hope mine cleans up as good as yours did.

Just kidding, no way for that right now. But look at this bunch of fine tools including a Legitimus Dayton that still has red paint and a set of 15 ATHA blacksmith tongs of various types.

Back