It followed me home (Part 2)

We went to a flea market Sunday. There was a vendor selling antiques who had a pretty good selection of axes and hatchets. I picked up a Kelly Flint Edge Pulaski that is in need of some tlc but should make a good user. I got the handle off and I believe I'll be able to rehang it. Worst part is the Tommy Axe I didn't buy. It's been haunting me ever since.

ok, ... I know it's not an axe, tomahawk, or hatchet...but, it does have an edge. For
the sake of completion will share what I learned with this kitchen tool....

1) when working with this it is not the time for multi-tasking... I was nervous. A simple
error could end in an E.R. visit. ( but, then, I tend to run nervous). Focus ! Charles
2) this steel sure seemed hard... I'm guessing an HRC in the mid 50's or above... seems
like a fella would need a diamond stone on this stuff... took me a long time to get "sharp".
3) the prior owner laid out his sharpening stone at too fine an angle and marred up the blade
face... lot's of work to get the scars out (bilaterally),not good on stainless...and,
truthfully...some still remain.
4) have already had a pass thru with the bride.... demonstrated how sharp this is... re-inforced
the need for safety first.
5) reminded myself...when is enough, enough. Hard to tell when to quit fiddle-ing.

I like this one....Appears to be better than average quality...but, I have no frame of reference.
Test tonight on cutting a brisket (in the crock now).

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/pdttCQr

This morning was a good morning.

IMG_20180502_100206 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Wow... the thing that kills me is all of these could have just been melted away to nothing.... if these are from the scrapyard at least. Apparently Oklahoma has some kind of stupid law about selling to individuals. At least that’s what the three biggest scrap yards told me...

That jersey next to the council tool looking ax is saaweeeeet!!

Looks like red paint in the eye... didn’t council tool use 1/2 marks for a while? Maybe not but TT wouldn’t have placed it there. When they did it they put it right under the True Temper stamp with lines on each side.

Who is ready for some crazy time? Some of you are going to hate me...

This was all from one yard sale, and my mind heard Ode to Joy when I started looking around. Once I had my pile ready I made a mental note of what I hoped they would say and what I would be willing to pay ($100 and $200). They said $60. That's about 80 cents per item.

IMG_20180505_125554 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180505_125706 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180505_125655 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180505_125715 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180505_125723 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180505_125731 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180505_125759 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180505_125858 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180505_130025 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Wow.
All that for $60, what a steel.
I can see more than one item that's worth $60 by itself.
Obviously not the tramontina machete however awesome it may be, but man that's a great score all the way around

Back