It followed me home (Part 2)

I see that little spoke shave hiding! Hopefully it cleans up good! And those green label Nicholson files!!! Very nice!!

Hi all, I am new here from Australia. Seen some beautiful axes here.
I have recently purchased these two and am completely unsure of what they are. I am currently in the post so this is the best image I have of them. Any suggestions on what they could be?

Thanks, Todd.
Untitled-3.jpg

ykV4o9s.jpg
Ut41h1A.jpg
Ty20I4Y.jpg
CMXBcys.jpg
KnhZLRc.jpg

this plane, was one of the things i inherited recently, see my CC saw post for details.

this plane is a fulton, no. 28 i believe (mark in the casting i found while cleaning) and is like new, there was only surface rust and VERY heavy dust. the cap i find lovely, it has a small raised section on it and it is incredibly chunky. the iron is at least twice as thick as any plane i'v dealt with second only to my solid wood plane. at least 95% of the paint is intact and there are still tool marks in the throat. from what little i know i'd guess it to be around turn of the century. as with the other tools, it's seen hardly any use

Thanks for the reply mate. The seller said they could be military but I didn't pay that much attention. Got them both for $22, thought it was worth a gamble!
22 is a good deal for the kent. You might find a brades stamp under all that rust.

Well that is news to my ears! When I get them I shall give them a quick scuff and see what I find, I will post what I uncover :)

it's the 20", thank you steve

That is a transitional plane. It before they wen to all steel. Very cool! Make sure the bottom is completely flat with some sand paper and it will work like a charm!! I love using wooden planes and transitionals because as the pull shavings they also barnish the wood! Leaves a very nice surface! When you are pulling fine shavings at least.

I wouldn't coun't the the last one out so quickly: It is cheap, but not always hardware store. Just after the second world war these sort of axes where produced by the bucketloads for the rebuild afterwards in Europe. Not many are left nowadays. The one pictured looks like one from that period judging by the looks of the rivets. Nowadays they then to use pull to fasten rivets, and these are clearly the press to fasten rivets from days gone by.

Rivetting in itself is centuries old. The first I know of axes dates back to ancient Greece on "Labrys":
Bronze_Ax_Messara_Crete.jpg

Hardware store or not it's a cheapo axe.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/plumb-axe-with-two-piece-head.1219412/

I don't think I have to tell you the probable history on that US hatchet, but whatcha got on the Hudson?
Actually, tell me. I figure that it is military issue, probably WW2 or earlier, but I'm just making assumptions. The HB is a S&N I believe, it has the 1-3/4 stamp under the poll. You can PM me if interested.

Actually, tell me. I figure that it is military issue, probably WW2 or earlier, but I'm just making assumptions. The HB is a S&N I believe, it has the 1-3/4 stamp under the poll. You can PM me if interested.
ah no i'm in a pinch on money as always, i just couldnt make out a marking.

i figure the same as you on the US hatchet, the only specifics i know is that mann hatchets had a big US mark on that side

Back