It followed me home (Part 2)

I bet someone can Identify that makers mark. even on my crappy laptop, I can kind of make out some of it. I can clearly read AXE which is proceeded by what looks like OO or 00 and followed by definitely an M and maybe it says MIDDLE ? also after that there is a 10

I do know that the 4 with the little 3 means that it weighs approximately 4 and 3/4 lbs. so its a hefty one.

also, the three with eye ridges are possibly (though certainly not definitively) true temper/kelly from the '60-'80 (approx) date range. and I also know that the kelly woodslashers were painted red, so the bottom one of those three might be a woodslasher?

no idea on that last head, looks kind of like a plumb, but could be anything I guess.

nice score!

I bet someone can Identify that makers mark. even on my crappy laptop, I can kind of make out some of it. I can clearly read AXE which is proceeded by what looks like OO or 00 and followed by definitely an M and maybe it says MIDDLE ? also after that there is a 10

I do know that the 4 with the little 3 means that it weighs approximately 4 and 3/4 lbs. so its a hefty one.

also, the three with eye ridges are possibly (though certainly not definitively) true temper/kelly from the '60-'80 (approx) date range. and I also know that the kelly woodslashers were painted red, so the bottom one of those three might be a woodslasher?

no idea on that last head, looks kind of like a plumb, but could be anything I guess.

nice score!
Thanks. I thought it might be plumb but cant really be sure. Unfortunately that double bit has been worn back pretty far and has been attacked with a grinder more than once. All three with ridges show some red paint.

The bottom double bit has a faint marking i cant make out.
Oox2z52.jpg

Oox2z52.jpg

The top line looks like it could include
____T & CO AXE MFD BY

...and at the end of the line below that, by the 10 in a circle, it looks like it says
PA
(for Pennsylvania)

... and all this, including the circle at the end, is consistent with the following example that's also stamped AmericanAx:

vintage-american-ax-lippington-co-axe_1_307546b94ce05b330d2cb44a4b7e500c.jpg

from https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-american-ax-lippington-co-axe-458125544

I think it's likely that the stamp is:
LIPPINCOTT & CO AXE MFD BY
HUBBARD & CO PITTSBURG, PA

and an axe with a similar stamp was discussed in this earlier thread:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/who-can-id-this-axe.1390349/

An article from 1898 says that John Lippincott tried to stop Hubbard & Co. from using the brand "Lippincott and Co." on Hubbard's axes, etc., but the court ruled against him. Hubbard was part of A.A.&T. at this time, according to YesteryearsTools.

Plumb Connecticut 3.5 lbs, weight on my scale is 3 lbs 5 oz. It had minimal pole damage. I slightly reprofiled and thinned the bit. It’s hard.

The handle (hickory I think) was old and weathered but never had been hung, the head was just slipped on when I got it. Scraping reviled solid but stained wood (especially stained on the upper half). The fit was perfect, I did nothing to the toung, just set the head and wedge.

Still need to do the final edge, then test.

free image hosting

Oox2z52.jpg

The top line looks like it could include
____T & CO AXE MFD BY

...and at the end of the line below that, by the 10 in a circle, it looks like it says
PA
(for Pennsylvania)

... and all this, including the circle at the end, is consistent with the following example that's also stamped AmericanAx:

from https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-american-ax-lippington-co-axe-458125544

I think it's likely that the stamp is:
LIPPINCOTT & CO AXE MFD BY
HUBBARD & CO PITTSBURG, PA

and an axe with a similar stamp was discussed in this earlier thread:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/who-can-id-this-axe.1390349/

An article from 1898 says that John Lippincott tried to stop Hubbard & Co. from using the brand "Lippincott and Co." on Hubbard's axes, etc., but the court ruled against him. Hubbard was part of A.A.&T. at this time, according to YesteryearsTools.
Thanks steve it is definately the same mark as you showed. I guess its an oldie.

Would that be a MILLERS FALLS #67?
Stanley perhaps?

Can you share who that is on the shorter nob handle and if the handle is still good, no cracks?
Thank you
The plane is a Stanley No 71.

The axe is excellent, super convex, overcoat bit, great handle. No name that I can see, but the weight stamp is on the poll.

Last edited:
It's got a nice drop in it, doesn't it? I bet it has excellent balance.

It's a beauty...and I would love to copy that handle!
2 1/2 - 3lbs maybe, 24-26" nob...I bet it runs hot:thumbsup:

If only we could carefully fold handles for flat rate :D

Looking at it again...I think that set up...could match maybe out do the craftsman oval I have bucking:cool:

that handle:p

Back