It followed me home (Part 2)

These followed me home a couple of days ago but the power was out so I couldn't post them. I have put the little collins swamper on the handle the cruiser's on and put the cruiser on its own N.O.S. handle. You can see a preview of coming attractions in the one photo. The hardware is from the cruiser eye. It was TIGHT though. Also, I'm making a new handle for the 4.5'? warranted superior crosscut out of an ipe decking cutoff. A log that had some hardware in it along with a huge sapwood vein gave part of the wedges for the two double bits.
IMG-0557.jpg
IMG-0561.jpg
IMG-0562.jpg
IMG-0558.jpg
Redneck photoshop.:D
IMG-0559.jpg
IMG-0564.jpg
IMG-0565.jpg

Last edited:
These followed me home a couple of days ago but the power was out so I couldn't post them. I have put the little collins swamper on the handle the cruiser's on and put the cruiser on its own N.O.S. handle. You can see a preview of coming attractions in the one photo. The hardware is from the cruiser eye. It was TIGHT though. Also, I'm making a new handle for the 4.5'? warranted superior crosscut out of an ipe decking cutoff. The log it's on will possibly replace the milled mantle shown previously due to powder post beetles:mad:. The replacement log had some hardware in it along with a huge sapwood vein that gave part of the wedges for the two double bits. The hardware is what saved it from a chainsaw for 5-7 years.
IMG-0557.jpg
IMG-0561.jpg
IMG-0562.jpg
IMG-0558.jpg
Redneck photoshop.:D
IMG-0559.jpg
IMG-0564.jpg
IMG-0565.jpg
beautiful saw, lots of life left

Reactions: A17
Brian Rust, the double is probably a WV as there is a double bit exactly like that with the same "board" design handle near me. Really nice haul either way.

I had a later than normal shift at work today, which gave me time to stop at an antique store on my way into town. Turns out they were having a 20% off end of summer sale today! Scored these for $11.

1vR5T7y.jpg

Union Tool Co. Charleston W VA USA. Boys axe weighing in right at 2.5#. I cant find much info about Union Tool, but it seems that they were affiliated with Kelly. Regardless, it will clean up real nice :)

VGGcdAa.jpg
KWGo7QO.jpg

The Stanley Four Square block plane looks to be in good shape, I’m excited to clean and sharpen this, and put it back to work. I’ll post some more pics in the Stanley thread.

Union Tool Co. Charleston W VA USA. Boys axe weighing in right at 2.5#. I cant find much info about Union Tool, but it seems that they were affiliated with Kelly.

The 1938 catalog of True Temper Tools has the Union Tool Co. brand listed with their "Special Low Price Axes", "drop forged tools of reliable steel, carefully inspected and tested...", and the boys axe with the Union Tool Co. brand has "Plain Shape -- Rough forged, ebony finish, labeled -- stained handle."

BookReaderImages.php

https://archive.org/stream/TrueTemperToolsCatalog1R1938/True Temper Tools Catalog 1-R 1938#page/n181/mode/2up

Mr Tall, as has been said time and time again here on these pages: THANK YOU!!
The 1938 catalog of True Temper Tools has the Union Tool Co. brand listed with their "Special Low Price Axes", "drop forged tools of reliable steel, carefully inspected and tested...", and the boys axe with the Union Tool Co. brand has "Plain Shape -- Rough forged, ebony finish, labeled -- stained handle."

BookReaderImages.php

https://archive.org/stream/TrueTemperToolsCatalog1R1938/True Temper Tools Catalog 1-R 1938#page/n181/mode/2up

rrMb3cX.jpg

had a nice day today, got everything here for about $11, $5 on the Pliers.

Went and had a fancy sandwich from an amish owned place and they were selling those kutztown sodas, so obviously i grabbed one. when we got to the flea market i was talking with this real old fella, nice guy. we got to talking about drill bits and such (they were on the ground) so i knelt down to take a look, setting that soda on the table. came back to talk with the guy and walked off, few booths later i remembered the soda so i started back. now i got about 100 foot from the booth and i saw him drinking something,

now he didnt have a drink when i first came up to him...

A log I dragged home as a source for a heartwood mantle turned out to be something much better. It is about 2 feet in diameter at the butt and 8-9 feet long and is 90 percent fatwood. It will supply kindling and wedges for 300 years probably. Everything that isn't ragged looking in the cut is pure fatwood.
IMG-0610.jpg

I got lucky at a garage sale today. Brought home a 15 lb Monster Maul that will take up residence in my collection but is way to heavy for me to ever swing! The second piece is a Kelly Works True Temper Flint Edge with a light rusty patina but lots of life left in it and should clean up nicely. It's about a 4 lb head on a beautiful 32 inch handle. The grain is near perfect and the wood is still strong. I hope to pull the wedge and reuse the handle. I like the feel of the handle and hope to get some use out of this little gem. The two pieces set me back $8 which made my day!
'
'
'

I'll post photos when I get the Kelly put back together. T-A

A log I dragged home as a source for a heartwood mantle turned out to be something much better. It is about 2 feet in diameter at the butt and 8-9 feet long and is 90 percent fatwood. It will supply kindling and wedges for 300 years probably. Everything that isn't ragged looking in the cut is pure fatwood.
IMG-0610.jpg
What type of tree is that ?

IMG-0610.jpg

My understanding is that fatwood forms at branching locations, in roots and at damaged sites. How do you think the entire tree became fatwood?

Back