It followed me home (Part 2)

I think it’s quite common for the base/trunk of pine and fir trees to be full of sap. One more reason the old timers used spring boards to get above the the sappy wood when sawing.

Has anyone had experience using fatwood for wedges?
I have a small pile of it. Never crossed my mind to use it for wedges.

A few of the items I have come across lately

20181021-123357.jpg

That's a 4 1/2' (actually 5' when I put the tape to it) plain tooth felling saw...Disston or made by Disston is my best guess till I possibly uncover more of this etch

20181021-123922.jpg

I dont know any thing yet about this back saw but it's very intriguing...

20181021-123507.jpg

20181021-123510.jpg

Quite the splitting wedge there too.

Last edited:
The tree is a fir that was cut down 6 years ago and still oozes sap from fresh cuts! In all the 100 + or - pines I have seen cut down this is the first I have seen like this. I thought springboards were to get them above the huge swelling of the trunk that happens right above the stump to save cutting time? We could probably both be right though. I have used fatwood for wedges on what did you rehang today. Also there is one on this The cracked eye | BladeForums.com and this Fatwood Wedges? | BladeForums.com

Last edited:

20181021-123357.jpg

That's a 4 1/2' plain tooth felling saw...Disston made by Disston is my best guess till I possibly uncover more of this etch

20181021-123922.jpg

20181021-123507.jpg

20181021-123510.jpg

That's an interesting and different splitting wedge.

That is a beautiful E&S handmade. Gorgeous! Kind of gets lost how amazing it is you can find so much stuff just because you find it every day! Lol. Awesome. I'd be broke if i had access to that much... i also find it funny how many axes you find that are hung upside down. Hahaha.
Yeah, that's partly why I resell a bunch. I spent $17k last year on rust. No way I could keep it all. This way I get Christmas money and free keepers.

I wonder if those upside down axes were rehung by people that had no clue, or intentionally to compensate for a worn toe.

Here is my weekend haul. I am most excited about the pipe vice. After I make some soft jaws for it, it will be great for handles. I have been looking for one for a while and this is the first one I have found that has a table mount on it. And it was five dollars compared to the normal 15 or 20. The roofing hatchet is a Germantown and the other small hatchet is a globe master made in Japan. Then the larger ball peen hammer is in Excelsior. Thanks for looking. Oh yes and the little black and decker workmate Weiss will come in handy on small carving projects.

20181021-123357.jpg

That's a 4 1/2' plain tooth felling saw...Disston made by Disston is my best guess till I possibly uncover more of this etch

20181021-123922.jpg

20181021-123507.jpg

20181021-123510.jpg

good stuff miller

Here is my weekend haul. I am most excited about the pipe vice. After I make some soft jaws for it, it will be great for handles. I have been looking for one for a while and this is the first one I have found that has a table mount on it. And it was five dollars compared to the normal 15 or 20. The roofing hatchet is a Germantown and the other small hatchet is a globe master made in Japan. Then the larger ball peen hammer is in Excelsior. Thanks for looking. Oh yes and the little black and decker workmate Weiss will come in handy on small carving projects.

I really like that bench mount pipe vise. Great score and great repurpose on that.

I've thought the same thing for a while, have a couple and still haven't done it. But yes, I keep thinking that with leather wrapped around the handle one of those would be great for shave horse duties, if a bit slower with re-positions.

It is about 2 feet in diameter at the butt and 8-9 feet long and is 90 percent fatwood. It will supply kindling and wedges for 300 years probably. Everything that isn't ragged looking in the cut is pure fatwood.

Great score! You've got all of that you'll ever need. What species?

Reactions: A17
The second piece is a Kelly Works True Temper Flint Edge with a light rusty patina but lots of life left in it and should clean up nicely. It's about a 4 lb head on a beautiful 32 inch handle. The grain is near perfect and the wood is still strong. I hope to pull the wedge and reuse the handle. I like the feel of the handle and hope to get some use out of this little gem.

That's a sweet axe. It will likely become your favorite user.

73Kxzdd.jpg

If you can, please try to ignore the messy bench.
again, thank you very much brian,

this stuff comes from mr. brian rust, as a thank you for the birch handle i sent him a bit ago.

thewoodslasher is ridiculosly clean, the maple is beautiful and i expect to use these sharpening stones a bunch.

Tq33l0n.jpg

now wait just a cotton pickin minute here, brian i told you not to send these until i sent you something back!! it's gonna take me a good bit to find some stuff to send back to equal this.

Back