It followed me home (Part 2)

Yankee Josh-- I agree with Muleman about pounding wedges with your Norlund. I bought that very same Norland when they first put it on the market. I carried it for many years while felling with chainsaws to--drive the felling wedges! Still have it in case I start logging again (yea sure that might happen)
As for your broad axe hewing, I have talked about both the historic American hewing and my own experience in other posts. If you have never watched the US Forest Service training video "These Old Cabin Logs" you will find a section on broad axe hewing. It takes a lot of hewing to get comfortable and good with it. Keep at it and let us follow along.

Agent_ H-- I sometimes forget that the Canadian pattern broad axes tend to have flatter backs than Penn., New Orleans, or Western patterns. Of course everything depends on who the maker was. It is the reason The Canadian pattern is my least favorite and why I no longer own any. I dont care much for the New England or Ship Carpenters patterns either, for other user reasons.

20190218_165624-jpg.1076072

That is an improvement in my opinion - nice work :thumbsup:
Heartwood or it just took to being re-hydrated?
Thank you! I like it much better this way.
It's sapwood it's just caramel colored. Tomorrow I'll post up some pics in the rehang thread. I'm starting to regret not keeping it original and selling it. There are an awful lot on the 'bay right now. Who knows maybe someone will want it with an improved original haft. As has been mentioned it's nothing special... modern, flat cheeked, mono steel. Only thing fancy is the the letter N in the stamp!
Yankee Josh-- I agree with Muleman about pounding wedges with your Norlund. I bought that very same Norland when they first put it on the market. I carried it for many years while felling with chainsaws to--drive the felling wedges! Still have it in case I start logging again (yea sure that might happen)
As for your broad axe hewing, I have talked about both the historic American hewing and my own experience in other posts. If you have never watched the US Forest Service training video "These Old Cabin Logs" you will find a section on broad axe hewing. It takes a lot of hewing to get comfortable and good with it. Keep at it and let us follow along.
I've watched that and "an axe to grind" 2 or 3 times all the way through and parts of them several times as well.
I was fortunate with my broad axe. Took me HOURS to file the pits out though. It has some pretty serious curves...
wiZ5C2V.jpg
to5wPMR.jpg

The Norlund only weighs 2 pounds. Personally i like a little more weight for pounding wedges. I don't carry them on me in I just take it with me.

I had no way to tell the weight of your Norlund. It looks just like mine, but mine weighs 2 1/2 lbs. 2 1/2 lbs is still a little light when felling larger sticks. But when I was packing the chain saw, gas can, oil can, wedges, tools, peavy, and water and lunch, I made do with a 2 1/2 lbs wedge driving axe.

I got these last week and meant to get photos up sooner. 5 new handles from Whiskey River and they are amazing! 4 - 32" single bits and one 44" double bit.

All are made from the finest hickory and have excellent grain. I'm especially pleased about the massive swells on these single bit hafts. They measure 1-11/16" to 1-3/4" thick in the narrow dimension! You just can't find handles like that anymore. I've been looking for years.

They still need a little slimming and customizing but I expected that. I'm just excited to have enough material in the swell make the swell I really want.

And the 44" DB also has excellent grain and is nice and straight. I've got a really nice TT Flint Edge Puget Sound pattern that is just dying to go on this handle.

Big shout out to Brandon for getting these!

WR1.jpg

WR2.jpg

I got these last week and meant to get photos up sooner. 5 new handles from Whiskey River and they are amazing! 4 - 32" single bits and one 44" double bit.

All are made from the finest hickory and have excellent grain. I'm especially pleased about the massive swells on these single bit hafts. They measure 1-11/16" to 1-3/4" thick in the narrow dimension! You just can't find handles like that anymore. I've been looking for years.

They still need a little slimming and customizing but I expected that. I'm just excited to have enough material in the swell make the swell I really want.

And the 44" DB also has excellent grain and is nice and straight. I've got a really nice TT Flint Edge Puget Sound pattern that is just dying to go on this handle.

Big shout out to Brandon for getting these!

WR1.jpg

WR2.jpg
Wow those are frigging gorgeous! I'm so envious. I'm struggling to hang an axe right now and I just don't have the correct haft. I will definitely checkout whiskey river... can't wait to see what you do with them SP!

Is Brandon someone who works there? If no, would you mind sharing how i can find Brandon??

Whiskey River Trading. Brandon Roost is one of the proprietors. I think he's Craig Roost's son. Craig is username 'Roostermod' on these forums but he's not here often. He runs the Axe Junkies group on Facecrooks. Father and son are good folk.

Got it guys. Love it!
ln7HX8M.jpg

58VEm8a.jpg
VuDeuIN.jpg
nYhA85v.jpg

I've since removed it from the haft. They really don't make handles like this anymore. Well evidently some folks are and i think that's awesome! 15511322922307193878503820242806.jpg
15511323653677421110050945388256.jpg
The head weighs #3-9.4oz. It has a number 7 encircled under the poll. Still has some original black paint in the eye and some in other places too. Did ravens, or any Kellys for that matter, come from the factory with metal cap wedges? I thought this might be the original haft but it did have a cap wedge. Sucker was hard to get out! 15511327268756765284591271177706.jpg
Anyhow thanks for looking. I'm stoked!
I forgot to add that it is welded with an overcoat bit. Wish i know when AF&H switched to mono steel axes. That would at least place this one between 1930 and 19??

Last edited:
Got it guys. Love it!
ln7HX8M.jpg

58VEm8a.jpg
VuDeuIN.jpg
nYhA85v.jpg

I've since removed it from the haft. They really don't make handles like this anymore. Well evidently some folks are and i think that's awesome! View attachment 1080658
View attachment 1080659
The head weighs #3-9.4oz. It has a number 7 encircled under the poll. Still has some original black paint in the eye and some in other places too. Did ravens, or any Kellys for that matter, come from the factory with metal cap wedges? I thought this might be the original haft but it did have a cap wedge. Sucker was hard to get out! View attachment 1080667
I forgot to add that it is welded with an overcoat bit. Wish i know when AF&H switched to mono steel axes. That would at least place this one between 1930 and 19??
Thats a grail! Congrats!

Got it guys. Love it!
ln7HX8M.jpg

58VEm8a.jpg
VuDeuIN.jpg
nYhA85v.jpg

I've since removed it from the haft. They really don't make handles like this anymore. Well evidently some folks are and i think that's awesome! View attachment 1080658
View attachment 1080659
The head weighs #3-9.4oz. It has a number 7 encircled under the poll. Still has some original black paint in the eye and some in other places too. Did ravens, or any Kellys for that matter, come from the factory with metal cap wedges? I thought this might be the original haft but it did have a cap wedge. Sucker was hard to get out! View attachment 1080667

Well, that's a nice one alright. Even came with a decent head. Bonus! :)

Back