It followed me home (Part 2)

I found this in a friends shed today and he let me take it home. I was hoping it was some kind of strange wedge for splitting wood but I am sure it isn't.

Had a search around is this a bolster chisel designed to crack apart bricks?

If so.. (as I currently have no bricks in my life) has anyone ever tried to drive one of these into a round of wood?

nibX7og.jpg

I found a couple axes i wanted locally. So i bought em. I knew the Hartwell bros. made handles but i was not aware they sold axes as well. I guess it makes sense. Looks like a Kelly to me. And a genuine Norlund as well. First one!
3tRtXPH.jpg
rPY7wkw.jpg

I think i can glue the haft under the tape. It's a nice one with awesome grain. I'l give it a shot!
g15eA1a.jpg
w4s8oNC.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I found a couple axes i wanted locally. So i bought em. I knew the Hartwell bros. made handles but i was not aware they sold axes as well. I guess it makes sense. Looks like a Kelly to me. And a genuine Norlund as well. First one!
3tRtXPH.jpg
rPY7wkw.jpg

I think i can glue the haft under the tape. It's a nice one with awesome grain. I'l give it a shot!
g15eA1a.jpg
w4s8oNC.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Those are a nice score!

Found interesting things today:
Piece of Ash 2”x6”x10’

Ash2”x6”x10’
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Stopped to chat and ended up with things following me home:
Sager Chemical 1929 with an interesting handle swell, 10” L. & I.J. White cleaver, an unabused 3 1/2lb Made in W. Germany double bit head, and a nice 13” Hewing/Broad axe 8lb 12oz. The broad axe is marked, looks like something rounding the upper part of a circle with “Rochester” going along the bottom. It has a lot of bit.

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy,

Piece of Ash 2”x6”x10’

Ash2”x6”x10’

Sager Chemical 1929 with an interesting handle swell, 10” L. & I.J. White cleaver, an unabused 3 1/2lb Made in W. Germany double bit head, and a nice 13” Hewing/Broad axe 8lb 12oz. The broad axe is marked, looks like something rounding the upper part of a circle with “Rochester” going along the bottom. It has a lot of bit.

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy,
That is some nice stuff... that broad axe I'd say takes the cake though. That thing is really nice. Is that something that you'll keep? If you ever decide to sell it I'd be very interested!

D R Barton Rochester ny Real nice

FC610-F42-756-E-4-E9-D-83-E5-9-D00-F8-E4-ACF8.jpg

The head I found doesn't have the scalloped markings on the bit but the listed Bench Hatchet does have some sort of circular marking that looks similar.

That is some nice stuff... that broad axe I'd say takes the cake though. That thing is really nice. Is that something that you'll keep? If you ever decide to sell it I'd be very interested!

Josh, I encounter larger broad/hewing axes from time to time but I'm leaning towards keeping it. The circular stamp with Rochester might help date it. That stamp is quite worn but what caught my eye are the stamps in the bit - I have another and have seen a few of them with those deep letters/numbers and wondered if that was specific to a certain maker.
3wlFthx.jpg

FC610-F42-756-E-4-E9-D-83-E5-9-D00-F8-E4-ACF8.jpg

The head I found doesn't have the scalloped markings on the bit but the listed Bench Hatchet does have some sort of circular marking that looks similar.

Josh, I encounter larger broad/hewing axes from time to time but I'm leaning towards keeping it. The circular stamp with Rochester might help date it. That stamp is quite worn but what caught my eye are the stamps in the bit - I have another and have seen a few of them with those deep letters/numbers and wondered if that was specific to a certain maker.
3wlFthx.jpg
I don't blame you one "bit"... forgive the pun. I'd keep it too. In fact, you'd have to prize it from my cold dead hands. Haha. It's so rare to find one in practically unused condition like that. The one i finally found and purchased was barely used but sorely neglected. Plus it has a curve from toe to heel and another curve from poll to bit and i think it's actually harder to use than a flat one. That's why I'm still in the market. Anyhow you made some great finds! That sager, the ash, the broad axe... you had a good day!

I've got a question for you guys. I'm trying to decide which haft to hang the Norlud on. It came on the original so i have that, a nice curved ash and a short stocky hickory one. I just wanted to ask what you guys think. 20190217_111241.jpg 20190217_111351.jpg 15504204256296243180990828712734.jpg
15504205456707826979873241565436.jpg I've never asked for opinions on a haft before so I'm curious, which one do you all like?

Piece of Ash 2”x6”x10’

Ash2”x6”x10’

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Sagatron1929
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy

Broad&White
by Agent Hierarchy,

That's a helluva score, Agent H. It pays to get talkative with the oldtimers.

I don't blame you one "bit"... forgive the pun. I'd keep it too. In fact, you'd have to prize it from my cold dead hands. Haha. It's so rare to find one in practically unused condition like that. The one i finally found and purchased was barely used but sorely neglected. Plus it has a curve from toe to heel and another curve from poll to bit and i think it's actually harder to use than a flat one. That's why I'm still in the market. Anyhow you made some great finds! That sager, the ash, the broad axe... you had a good day!

I do want to stress that I followed responsible hunting practices. I left some strong herd members there for others:
8-BAD0309-03-E3-4-A3-A-BB78-19-EF642-B868-C.jpg

79-BD86-F2-856-D-4930-8710-0-E697-F3-A5512.jpg

E3-BE0114-8-BB0-4290-B97-E-B48-B7-E45-A6-F4.jpg

*The purple tape is holding together a self-inflicted 3lb hammer wound.

That's a helluva score, Agent H. It pays to get talkative with the oldtimers.
Absolutely.

Back