It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    From the looks of it yours was quite rusty at one point. They did a soak and then sanded it to look better. It appears that way anyhow. The good news is you know what it is... It's very high quality. And it's easily recognizable as an export legitimus. So it's value is diminished but not lost.

Meek1 likes this.
  2. Pdr206

Pdr206

Feb 11, 2020
    I washed it in evaporust and wiped it down with 00 wool then a dry towel. Then used BLO on the head. It was only then that I saw grind marks in the exact location that your legitimus stamp is. Why would someone do that? So strange.

Meek1 likes this.
  3. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I zoomed in on your photo and it looks to me that yours was a paper label...
    Screenshot_20200223-212506_Gallery.jpg

But I own axes that I swear people deliberately ruined the stamps on. Tiny little hammer marks completely obscuring the markings... uber frustrating! But yeah I think yours was a paper label. If you poke around online you may be able to find another label. Or just feel stoked you've got such a good quality axe! And one that is a user and you don't have to worry about keeping it mint. It's a great find man!

Meek1 likes this.
  4. JLRubicon

JLRubicon

Sep 3, 2019
    Cleaned up the other two and didn't see any stamps on them. Kind of a bummer but they seems to be good quality.

Meek1 likes this.
  5. rjdankert

rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
  6. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    rjdankert, Meek1 and Yankee Josh like this.
  7. Pdr206

Pdr206

Feb 11, 2020
    Can't find any information on this. Heavy head on a short handle. Head measures 6 1/4" long, 4 3/16" tall at edge, eye is 1 7/8"x 7/8". No makers mark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meek1 and Hairy Clipper like this.
  8. Pdr206

Pdr206

Feb 11, 2020
    Got two more today. The blank is stamped 4 1/2 lbs and on other side of head is stamped Cast Sill. Rather thick head, like it. Any ideas on manufacturer? 2nd is my first Flint Edge. Love my TT's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    A few new things... First one has been on my list for a long time.. My Kelly stable is really filling up!
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot_20200226-154625_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200226-154613_Instagram.jpg
    I just got it yesterday but I've already hung it. Couldn't help myself. A few more.
    A pre-1930 Kelly Axe & Tool co. DB stamped F.S. I think this is my favorite patina...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A 4lb Council tools Jersey. Nice n rusty! I'll be able to make it look pretty cool I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And my first Wards Master Quality stamp. On a nice full pattern hatchet. I've since polished and hung this one too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I just have to throw in one photo of the hatchet finished...
    20200228_154704.jpg
    And one of the registered hung... Thanks for checking them out!
    20200229_095758.jpg

10. Pdr206

Pdr206

Feb 11, 2020
    Great work!

Had a shot at a Ward, a William Mann and a blue juniata today. Was too pricey unfortunately.

Meek1, Hairy Clipper and Yankee Josh like this.
  11. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    The Registered is over-the-top cool! What a sweet axe.

12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Did you buy that registered in that condition or did you work on it ?

13. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Thanks guys! It was already restored. But he sent me some before pics before I agreed to buy it.
    Screenshot_20200226-161319_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200226-154601_Instagram.jpg
    He did a good job with it. All I did was polish and hone the bit. Only thing I'd have done differently is polished more of the scratches out of it prior to cold bluing it. Otherwise it looks like it would've had I done it myself! I'm happy with it! It was pricey but not as pricey as a lot of them are.

14. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    That thing is seriously bad ass!:cool:

15. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I cajoled this NOS Forest Service Supply, True-Temper from Freebee. It came out of a forest service locker and was never used.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Pdr206

Pdr206

Feb 11, 2020
    McKinnon* fell in my lap today. Is cool to find something made not far from where I grew up! Thought it was a no name at first. What's with the B96 on the bottom of poll?

*dang autocorrect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  17. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Very nice! If you ever want to get rid of that please let me know... I've been after one for awhile! I don't know if there's any particular axe (or several) that you may want for a trade perhaps but I've got a lot of very nice ones to choose from and I'd treat you really well.
    I know 96 is the year 1896 and I'm quite sure the B is the Initial of the man who made it. But don't quote me on the initial part that's just from memory...

18. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    To me it looks like it was made in 1916 and "B" supposedly stands for J.H. Blanchard

19. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    It does say 16! I can't zoom well at all with postimage for some reason..

Meek1 and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  20. Pdr206

Pdr206

Feb 11, 2020
    Thanks all. I'll take a better picture of it in a bit. Putting kids to bed. YankeeJosh we can definitely discuss working something out, just kind of enjoying the shock of finding
    it still!