It followed me home (Part 2)

Dang MrMiller that haul would make jblyttle jealous,do tell about them shovels and the jersey hatchet.

JB the legend! I am flattered.

The shovels are super cool. 2 Ames and the Molly shovel.
The 1942 Ames short T handle
The Oliver Ames (phone pole shovel squarepeg has identified) i thought might be some type of shovel for potatoes or a coal chute. X

The Jesey is a mighty worn stamped Kelly Works Woodslasher.

Wow, serious score!

There are still replacement handles available for that phone pole shovel.

Thank you. I always try to say no but in the end, i usually get nearly everything i see.
That Oliver Ames shovel is for telephone poles? Thats some great stuff right there. I had ideas for coal or potato farming. But the weight didnt seem conducive to that work.
Thank you

Any idea what the big spoon handle thing is ?
I dont know why but for some reason I think it's cool.

It totally is cool. I can't say no to something i haven't seen before and I can't seem to say no to a shovel.
Squarepeg has identified it as a telephone pole shovel which i am grateful for, as i was off on that and he mentions replacement handles are available for it. So cool!

Thank you! Putting together these hauls is so much fun! This haul all started with the Craftsman Tackle box style toolbox. Its in great shape, the interior is excellent.

Thanks again! I cant believe the fire nozzles!

It totally is cool. I can't say no to something i haven't seen before and I can't seem to say no to a shovel.
Squarepeg has identified it as a telephone pole shovel which i am grateful for, as i was off on that and he mentions replacement handles are available for it. So cool!
That thing next to the peavey style hook goes on a handle ?

20200416-124914.jpg

A few of the highlights, but not all of them. Certainly some of my favorites of the haul.
I am still sorting thru it all.

20200416-130020.jpg

20200416-125924.jpg

20200416-130010.jpg

20200416-130007.jpg

20200416-130222.jpg

20200416-130320.jpg

20200416-130322.jpg

20200416-130335.jpg

20200416-131435.jpg

Oh My I fell in love with this one here...fell hard.

20200416-141434.jpg

20200416-141442.jpg

20200416-141449.jpg

20200416-133827.jpg

20200416-133440.jpg

I hope everyone here, those i know, those i have spoken with, those i admire and those whom we recognize each others garages or shops. To each of you, please.
Be safe, stay kind and stay strong and smart.

Now lets show off those axes!!:cool::thumbsup::)
Nice score!
Any makers marks on that flat bar, pry bar, bottom right in your first picture?

Thank you. I always try to say no but in the end, i usually get nearly everything i see.
That Oliver Ames shovel is for telephone poles? Thats some great stuff right there. I had ideas for coal or potato farming. But the weight didnt seem conducive to that work.
Thank you

Also called a deep hole shovel. Handles started at 7' but most common are 8's and 10's. I've seen them up to 14'. Those are used for cleaning out manholes. They are often paired with a long handled spade that was called a 'banjo'. Banjo and a spoon.

I got this Underhill edge tool co. ice hatchet thinking it was a tomahawk. It is in fact unironically the "underhill pattern ice hatchet"!
I couldn't resist buying it as besides looking totally badass it has an inlaid steel spike and an overlaid bit!
MGtQCho.jpg

And it weighs just under 1lb. I chose a nice vintage haft for it but it had a step wedge in it prior. So I used a poplar wedge and two small lighter colored poplar pieces for the cross wedges.
P2N6D5S.jpg
fxGW3Qn.jpg

6MRGP8C.jpg

9dk5FqR.jpg

Here's the overlaid bit;
VUGBleQ.jpg

And the inlaid steel on the spike!
EHJRT92.jpg

Anyway I though you guys would get a kick out of it. Such a small tool but they put a lot of quality and craftsmanship into it! I'd never seen inlaid steel and overlaid steel on the same tool before.
udXJMyY.jpg

Screenshot_20200409-235144_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200409-235140_Instagram.jpg
Thanks for checking it out! Hope you all are in great health!

Last edited:
woah!!! Yankee Josh Yankee Josh , that thing is awesome!! totally sweet! I dig it.
Thank you man! :thumbsup:I think it's one of the coolest looking hatchets I've ever seen! I'm not usually a fan of tomahawks. I guess I just see them almost as a novelty. Which they aren't but that's just my attitude towards them. But this one has it all! :thumbsup:Haha.
TY!

Awesome Yankee Josh Yankee Josh !!! What a piece! I would call it a tomahawk all day long if I didn't know! Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it!
Ty man! Honestly I doubt I'll want to trade or sell it but I'll let you know if I do. I'm actually surprised but you are only the second person to ask. I think it's because I'm obviously so happy with it they just don't bother! Haha. Thx again bro! :D

That is a pretty cool one!
Appreciate it man thanks. I just couldn't let it pass me by and I had to get it. Some are just so fun to look at.:):thumbsup:

I knew there was a couple Hart trim hammers and a TT Tomahawk. I thought it was five apiece and was going through it, he wanted the box gone. A decent Miller Falls claw hammer was in there too.
Congrats, hart made an excellent hammer.
My very first hammer and very first rehab was an old Hart California farmer my dad gave me as a kid.
It's a shame what's become of that once great name now.
With some corporation owning it and Walmart now doing away with any remaining American made tools ( such as channellock pliers and Vaughan / Dasco pry bars) in favor of the new Hart brand Chinese garbage their pushing.

Picked these couple up a little while back, an old 3 3/4 pound Kelly Vulcan and what looks to be an older Gamble's Artisan cruiser, which has barely been used. Pre drop forge era by the looks of it though I haven't popped the old handle remnants out yet to get a good look. I tried without much success to locate info on the Gambles axes, would be curious to hear if anyone knows who made them. Of course it was probably Kelly or Mann.

Looking forward to some hanging after I get my new, old (early 1900s) axe shack organized and ready to rock and roll.
9GkU7K1.jpg

1VZZY6f.jpg

Picked these couple up a little while back, an old 3 3/4 pound Kelly Vulcan and what looks to be an older Gamble's Artisan cruiser, which has barely been used. Pre drop forge era by the looks of it though I haven't popped the old handle remnants out yet to get a good look. I tried without much success to locate info on the Gambles axes, would be curious to hear if anyone knows who made them. Of course it was probably Kelly or Mann.

Looking forward to some hanging after I get my new, old (early 1900s) axe shack organized and ready to rock and roll.
9GkU7K1.jpg

1VZZY6f.jpg
Both are beautiful! Great finds!!

Back