It followed me home

Status
Not open for further replies.
If ebay snags count, I kinda went crazy tonight... got mad at the lack of yard sales 'ere.

A gambling axe head. I really think it'll be a Snow and Nealley, probably just pre china, lots of little things catch my eye. :)
345n28p.jpg

Another gambling axe head. Did some measurements, lines up relatively well with most of my three quarters axes so I'm thinking it'll weigh in around 2 1/2 or 3lbs. Really wanted a plumb boys axe in the traditional pattern, so worse case scenario I grab a hack saw and take a little off the bottom.
ozcb8.jpg

Can't wait for these to come in, I think the best part of restoring axes is putting the first coat of oil on them in decades.

Last edited:
P1070743.JPG

Are you going to work this one?
Thought this thread needed a bump.
You can cut in in half diagonal and maybe make a hawk out of it . Beer talkin lol dont mind me

There actually was someone on here, he bought 8 dollar hatchets from Northern Tool (?), and forged / drifted them into some nice looking hawks. I bet a good forger could do that easy.

If ebay snags count, I kinda went crazy tonight... got mad at the lack of yard sales 'ere.

A gambling axe head. I really think it'll be a Snow and Nealley, probably just pre china, lots of little things catch my eye. :)
345n28p.jpg

Another gambling axe head. Did some measurements, lines up relatively well with most of my three quarters axes so I'm thinking it'll weigh in around 2 1/2 or 3lbs. Really wanted a plumb boys axe in the traditional pattern, so worse case scenario I grab a hack saw and take a little off the bottom.
ozcb8.jpg

Can't wait for these to come in, I think the best part of restoring axes is putting the first coat of oil on them in decades.

That's a nice HB is the handle good?

I don't know yet, where I got it off ebay I'm still waiting for it to come in. The Plumb was about 800 miles further away than it, and it already arrived (and is hung / sharpened for that matter). :grumpy:

I don't know yet, where I got it off ebay I'm still waiting for it to come in. The Plumb was about 800 miles further away than it, and it already arrived (and is hung / sharpened for that matter). :grumpy:

Plumb looks great nice score! I had a cooper tools plumb and sold it wish I never did mine was ugly but a great chopper.

What is the weight of the plumb?

Speaking of the Coopertools plumb, my father has one of the newer ones that had stickers instead of stampings. It killed two files before I put it back in the corner, still wondering if I should try and finish the restoration. He mushroom'ed it pretty bad in the 40 years he's had it.

And 2 lbs 7 ounces, I think it lost an ounce somewhere or another.

Did it kill the files with the bit or with the poll? I'm assuming the bit as polls generally aren't hardened. Mushroomed polls are a good candidate for the grinding wheel.

Hey Crazyotter
I checked a couple of snow and neally images and they have a curved bit. Your hb is straight. Maybe a vintage true temper? Did you find any marks on it. Just curious cause I like hb's

Speaking of the Coopertools plumb, my father has one of the newer ones that had stickers instead of stampings. It killed two files before I put it back in the corner, still wondering if I should try and finish the restoration. He mushroom'ed it pretty bad in the 40 years he's had it.

And 2 lbs 7 ounces, I think it lost an ounce somewhere or another.

You may want to switch to profiling that one with a sand paper based tool like a belt grinder or flap disc.

First, tonight I'll post pics of a ice axe that followed me home. Hate to derail a great thread.

Cattledog, just got the HB in the mail. A lot of the older pre-china S&N's were in the "Maine" pattern which had a barely curved bit and really thick cheeks. Comparing this to the mint S&N axe head I have, the bit lines up perfectly along with the profile in front of the eye. Beyond that and a few other things, I'm as certain as I'll ever be without a stamping that this is S&N.

Edit: Handle is stamped Snow and Nealley. Should of checked that, kind of spaced it.

M3mphis, I never thought of flap discs. :)

Last edited:
Forgot the HB, but heres a few pics of the ice axe. Lots of original paint and just starting to rust, though the handle is shot. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or flip it, but either way I couldn't leave it. Blade has nicks, but they're minor. Oh, its stamped W.M. Twood & Co. BA name, but I've never heard of of it before.

zmysub.jpg

fbca5y.jpg

10qgtbl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back