It followed me home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen a pick on the back of a mortising axe, either! :D

Mann Quickcut Axe. $10. Cleaned up real nice. I'll post after pics when I get a chance.

I had no intention of buying a 28" cruiser handle today but when we met she fell for me right away and jumped in the truck. What could I do?
smirk.gif

Then I get home and find a couple surprises in the mailbox, a Lansky Puck fresh off of Amaz_n for just $7.58 shipped! And some beeswax to mix with BLO and turpentine to finish a couple of other hafts which are waiting anxiously to get hung.

IFMH1.JPG

Nice grain in the cruiser handle.
IFMH2.jpg

Then I stopped by a local industrial tool supplier and lo and behold I find a 'new' old stock Multi-Kut file! This one has a 'Lenox' stamp on it but it's made by Simonds - the dealer confirmed that. I couldn't believe my good fortune.
IFMH3.jpg

Hey S*Peg
About that file is it a good all arounder?

My beekeeper friend just sent me a jug of honey and two pucks of beeswax and I am finding all sorts of uses for it.
Vaseline and beeswax together for treating my sheaths and lip balm. So far it looks good. I swore I wouldn't buy another tin of turpentine after the last can was finished
The smell is still in my yard and van. However you caught my interest with the blo,turps, and bwax. What's your recipe for?
thanks
cattledog

Howard's Feed and Wax is very similar to the mixture, but more expensive. It works fantastic as well. I like to mix it or Howard's paste wax with BLO too.

Hey S*Peg
About that file is it a good all arounder?

I have 3 old Multi-Kuts, 2 Hellers and 1 Simonds. They're my favorite files, the best at cutting hard steel.

http://bandsawblade.com/SimondsFiles/americanpattern.htm
"Multi-Kut® - Known as the world's most versatile file because it combines the uses of flat and mill files. The coarse teeth allow material to be removed fast (like a flat file) and the double chip-breaker design generates a smooth finish (like a mill file)."

Also:
http://www.simonds.cc/files/bms-multikutflat.php

Simonds acquired the design when they bought out Heller in 1955.
http://www.simondsinternational.com/company/history14.php?menu=../mnu/mnuCompanyHistory

However you caught my interest with the blo,turps, and bwax. What's your recipe for?

I haven't made it yet, I'm just going by what I've found online. Supposedly the beeswax makes for a grippier handle than BLO alone. You mix equal parts of the 3 ingredients. Start by melting the beeswax in a double boiler. Remove from heat and slowly stir in the turpentine and then the BLO. I've heard of adding the last 2 the other way around, too, i.e. BLO first. I'm thinking turp first as it should help dissolve the wax. Once mixed, let it set overnight to cool. You end up with a paste that supposed to be great for wood, metal and even leather. Rub it one, let it set awhile and then remove all excess or it will become gummy-sticky. I guess it's been used for centuries.

I haven't made it yet, I'm just going by what I've found online. Supposedly the beeswax makes for a grippier handle than BLO alone. You mix equal parts of the 3 ingredients. Start by melting the beeswax in a double boiler. Remove from heat and slowly stir in the turpentine and then the BLO. I've heard of adding the last 2 the other way around, too, i.e. BLO first. I'm thinking turp first as it should help dissolve the wax. Once mixed, let it set overnight to cool. You end up with a paste that supposed to be great for wood, metal and even leather. Rub it one, let it set awhile and then remove all excess or it will become gummy-sticky. I guess it's been used for centuries.

I've used it after it's cooled, but I like to use it hot on wood because it soaks in more/faster. Also, the only way I've done it so far was to throw the BLO, turp, and a chuck of wax in a bowl and throw it in the microwave awhile...not the classiest way to do it, but fast.

I might have to try your microwave method. I thought about that but was a little concerned about putting a flammable liquid in the microwave.

I had no intention of buying axes today, but for some reason the scout store an hour South was clearance-ing two new China made S&Ns for 22 bucks (and Truper's for 30 :rolleyes:)... the three quarter versions... do I need to get pictures?

I've used it after it's cooled, but I like to use it hot on wood because it soaks in more/faster. Also, the only way I've done it so far was to throw the BLO, turp, and a chuck of wax in a bowl and throw it in the microwave awhile...not the classiest way to do it, but fast.

I wimped out and used the double boiler method. Just seemed safer to me.
sleepy32yt.gif

Double_boiler.JPG

thanks for posting, will this mixture stay in solution form or become a solid when cooled?
I think thats a little safer the fumes can escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back