1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 12 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, March 23; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I've gone steel crazy

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ShannonSteelLabs, Jan 28, 2019.

1. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    I'm just disappointed that vanadis 8 has no nitrogen :( otherwise, it seems scary good at edge retention ... not even close to being stainless

Carbon 2.3
    Silicon 0.4
    Manganese 0.4
    Chromium 4.8
    Molybdenum 3.6
    Vanadium 8

2. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    Yea it's supposed to have high wear resistance AND High Toughness!!

DBK tested a pukko on their channel made by Dulo knives and the thing was a beast. Ut was way thicker than a standard Pukko to be fair. But it still held an edge Excellent even after all the abuse.

As for plans?
    I havent the slightest of ideas.
    One hopefully will be for me. The other for sale. But being a knife maker there is a good chance I will sell both.
    Maybe some kind of camp knife or a utility/fighter.

3. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    Vancron 40 has nitrogen. But I havemt seen any knives in it. Hell i havent even seen the steel for sale anywhere. Id love to mess with that too. As for the Vanadis 8 I'm not too worried about corrosion. 4.8% is more than M4 and 4V. I coat all my carbon steels with EDCi and rarely have issues. Only basic high carbon steels give me issues.
    Stuff like:
    80CRV2
    O1
    Those rust super fast.

4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    So, what is the problem?

5. navman

navman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    I finally ground a small hunter out of the VANADIS 8 stock. It is more difficult to work with than 10V. I will be sending it to Peters' aiming for 64 RC. The raw steel also doesn't seem to pick up rust as quickly as 10V for some reason, but this is pre-HT.

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  6. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Thanks!
    I use Peter's as well. And my target was 64HRC as well when I use it.

Post your results here!! Because I have no idea when I will get to mine.

navman likes this.
  7. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    if I had to guess at what @Larrin would say... it would be along the line of 'the really high carbon & V content forms the bulk of carbides, leaving more of the chrome and moly in solution, thus helping corrosion resistance more than you might expect'

hope he sees this and chimes in ; )

64 hrc AFTER temper is really high, I'd love to see a charpy test done for his thread on vanadis 8... it looks like it could be an 'm4 killer'

8. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    If it's as tough as I've seen or heard, it should be! Only problem is that its RARE. I've only seen it once and I grabbed a peice. But that could change if popularity increases.

It seems to have more alloy than M4. Namely 8% vanadium. Which should give it great edge holding and wear resistance.
    I'm excited to see how it performs.

9. Frozen Bear Trading

Frozen Bear Trading KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 22, 2019
    I have a scrap addiction

10. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    There are a few possibilities:
    1) Vanadis 8 has more molybdenum
    2) The surface is different (scale, ground finish, etc.)
    3) The difference is perceived and not real

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:30 PM
  11. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    You steel junkie you!

12. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    And I bet this is the crux of plenty of observations in the knife realm.

"In my experience, BlahBlah3750 is easier to sharpen than S&M69...." or:

"With the addition of whatevrium, this material should be tougher than M388-Blah Blah..."

I'm sure these perceptions are real, and those assumptions might hold some water. But I always take these observations with a grain of salt, simply because I think that perception many times is "good enough reality".

Not to derail your thread, Colin, but I just had to nod my head at this part of Larrin's post.

Larrin likes this.
  13. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    It sounds like it would make the ultimate pigsticker!

When you hunt pigs on foot you tend to take absolute minimum gear i.e. one gun, one knife and one headlamp (if going at night). So whatever knife you use as a sticker also doubles up for skinning / gutting / processing meat / prying joints apart. It needs to be thin and very sharp to get through the armor on a boar, but also good edge retention because hog hair is brutal on an edge. Also it might get roped in to hacking away at light vegetation like blackberry because that's where pigs run to. So basically very good edge stability at thin geometry combined with very high wear resistance. Vanadis 8 sounds like it has all these qualities.

So pigsticker is my vote! :thumbsup: :cool: :)

14. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Shit that's a Brilliant idea!!!!

It will be tough and hold an edge for al long time.
    No worries!!! This thread is a complete derailment of my sanity lol.
    I buy more and more and more and more steel. And my reasoning behind it is....well it's new, cool, rare Or awesome steel. So I buy it.
    I'll worry about selling it later!!

15. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Good on ya, Man.

Sometimes jumping out of the plane and building the parachute on the way down is the best way to proceed!