Jack Wolf Knives - Back on Track

Jack Wolf Knives

Benjamin Belkin - Owner/Operator
Fellas! After what felt like forever, I have this project back on track. I am more excited and motivated then ever before!

Since the last thread about my project became long in the tooth, I decided to start a new one. If you are interested, the previous thread can be found here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/jack-wolf-knives-the-wolf-den.1787328/

New prototypes are rolling in and they look and feel amazing. These are from my new manufacturer, the name of which I agreed not to disclose. No promises yet but I am aiming to start sales at or before Blade Show in June. Thanks for your patience! šŸŗ

Here is the revised prototype for the Little Bro Jack in Black Micarta. This slipjoint knife has a closed length of 3.5ā€ (90mm), and features a hollow ground, swoopy clip point blade that is 2.7ā€ (68mm). The fluted bolsters and liners are integral titanium. I am happy to answer any questions you may have. -Ben

Last edited:
Will all the models be the same or do you have to be changes with the new maker?
Hi Ernie, All the models are the same as the previous prototypes, other than some tweaks I implemented to improve them based on my experiences with the first prototypes.

New prototypes are rolling in and they look and feel amazing. These are from my new manufacturer, the name of which I agreed not to disclose.

It's nice to see that you are back on track to fulfill your vision - I look forward to your success.

However, what I have bolded in the quote above concerns me. There is not enough transparency in the knife industry, even on the best of days, so it always gives me pause when I come across a lack of it. You can have the greatest designs in the world but at the end of the day, I still want to know who made my knife and if it's a manufacturer that I am willing to support with my dollar - indirectly or otherwise.

I understand that you have your reasons to keep it to yourself but until such a time that it does become public knowledge, I might have to look on from the sidelines. I mean no offense by this and for what it's worth, I had no issues with your previous OEM manufacturer.

Hey Ben I have been watching from the sidelines like many others for the production start of your endeaver. While you use a modern approach to your designs, and that is fine, do you ever plan on offering any design in carbon steel?

It's nice to see that you are back on track to fulfill your vision - I look forward to your success.

However, what I have bolded in the quote above concerns me. There is not enough transparency in the knife industry, even on the best of days, so it always gives me pause when I come across a lack of it. You can have the greatest designs in the world but at the end of the day, I still want to know who made my knife and if it's a manufacturer that I am willing to support with my dollar - indirectly or otherwise.

I understand that you have your reasons to keep it to yourself but until such a time that it does become public knowledge, I might have to look on from the sidelines. I mean no offense by this and for what it's worth, I had no issues with your previous OEM manufacturer.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this, I do appreciate it. I also understand and respect your point of view. I can share that they are of Chinese origin. I can also share that it is a manufacture with much experience making knives. The request for confidentiality was made by this manufacturer and in order to do business with them I had to accept it. They quality they presented and their timeframes were exactly what I was looking for, so I chose to make the concession and move forward. I will always be as transparent as reasonably possible, without giving away trade secrets or violating agreements. One day I hope to have my own in house manufacturing and I am working towards that goal. Until then, I lack a certain amount of control and this is a prime example of that. I appreciate your support whether financially or as a cheer leader, and as always appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Hey Ben I have been watching from the sidelines like many others for the production start of your endeaver. While you use a modern approach to your designs, and that is fine, do you ever plan on offering any design in carbon steel?
That is a great question! I have had some requests for K390, which I understand will take a patina. I do want to have knives that stain, regardless of which steel I choose, but I need to be up and running first before I take that leap of faith. I know us slip joint junkies will appreciate it. It's the modern folder guys who I hope to bring into the slip joint world that I am not so sure about. I'm thinking I have to ease them into it, one slip joint at a time. So the answer is: I definitely want to and let's see how it goes!

- it could be, just me speculating, that some of these very high-end knife manufacturers in China are now so in demand from high profile designers and would-be-collaborators, that in order to retain a higher kudos, the Chinese manufacturers don't disclose/wish to disclose who else they're also making for...

- it could be, just me speculating, that some of these very high-end knife manufacturers in China are now so in demand from high profile designers and would-be-collaborators, that in order to retain a higher kudos, the Chinese manufacturers don't disclose/wish to disclose who else they're also making for...
That is a very sound theory.

I know I asked this previously on fb, but with a new manufacturer are you planning on using more traditional, ie. wood/bone/etc. handle materials at some point?
Hi Nick, I will consider it but only with extensive testing. I know that recently Pena did a run of his front flippers with Ebony Wood and he had some problems with them. Which only gives me more pause when considering materials that can shrink, swell or chip more easily than Micarta or CF. That being said, I love the natural materials as much as the next guy, so I am not saying no. It is just a big risk I am not yet comfortable with.

Fellas, when I post on Instagram I have the opportunity to upload short videos. I wanted you guys to be able to view them, so I setup a YouTube channel in order to post the same videos here. One of these has no sound, because I created the video along with music provided by Instagram, and when I downloaded it, they stripped the music for copyright reasons. If this isn't working for you, please let me know. Thanks!

PS: Make sure to adjust the video quality setting on the YT video to the highest available for best results.

Back