Jungle Killer

attachment.php

"hey dad, we cut a donut, and skinned fluffy the cat (as you can see the tail there on the table)"... "can we keep it? i promise i won't use it on any one else nearby :>"

what an ... interesting knife ... what are the overall specs, length, weight, thickness (ETA: i see way above, some numbers, are those exact?)? must've missed that in the ugling. um. yeah. handle needs to be much longer. your basic machete handle in fact, would be fine. finger grooves or not. mmm. lose the cho, entirely. maybe a set of fullers (can't tell if it has those), might help with balance, dunno... the tip is interesting. keeps it from being an oversized bowie monster.

actually, if it had the room on the handle... me? i'd probably remove the handle outright, possible even the bolster, and slap on some bolt on slab handles - like from a becker knife. it's pretty much asking for it... mmm.

bladite

Bladite said:
...slap on some bolt on slab handles - like from a becker knife. it's pretty much asking for it... mmm.

bladite[/QUOTE]

That is a great idea and the exact kinda handle I envisioned as well. It would be like a Heavy Duty BK9 with a different tip.

No offense...but I'm sticking with my "Stick Knife".

Did I mention in my mini-review that the handle on *it* is *extremely* comfortable?

Fine kids Munk !
Made me feel like what my kids were young then ! Wish they were young and I'm no so old. :eek:

My older one's 17 now. Time flies. :eek:

Jungle Killer: Log test.
Pictures to follow.

I had a 7 - 8" seasoned pine log, dry and hard. Jungle Killer could not stick in this wood, it was so hard. Jungle Killer could chop. After digging in a for a minute, I brought out a 18" Samsher, 31 ouncer for comparison. I probably should have used the BDC because it too has a chiruwa handle, but no matter. The Samsher also could not stick. This wood was hard.

But the Samsher did cut deeper and faster. It just isn't in the cards for a non khuk to chop like a khuk. You have the angle and weight forward working overtime.

Yesterday with slightly green wood, though, I could tell very little difference in chopping between the Jungle Killer, the Samsher, and the 18" BDC (30 ounces) There seemed to be a an advantage to the khuks but not as much as you would think.

The finger groove reduction worked. I can work with the Banmara (JK) without pain.

What do I think? I think the finger grooves look neat, but I don't know with a handle this thick if we could ever have agreement on fit. I think a smooth handle might be an idea. WE could keep the botttom flair, it seems to work OK, but reduced diameter.

Handle specs: JK a little longer than 4.5" including that part of the bolster I use in my grip. I think this may be intentional- at least, that's where my forefinger and end of hand are with my pinkie in the first groove at bottom of the grip. And that groove? My Samsher is 1 1/4" width at pinkie, and 1 1/2" at top of grip near forefinger. It is 4 1/4" in length. The Jungle Killer, even with reduction of handle material, is 1 3/4" at pinkie and 1 3/4' at forefinger on the bolster end, and the bottom spec is bottom of the groove; if you go to the outside, its a whopping 2" at base and 1 7/8" first bridge.

I think that's probably too big. I have a medium hand and this is my outside limit.

Having said all that...I like the Jungle Killer, and so does Carter. It has a wow factor not readily apparent in my photos. And it does chop well. The balance, which I've not mentioned, is actually very very good owing to the short length and chiruwa handle. It does not carry or feel like a two pound knife. And it swung faster than the longer khuk of similar weight. Yes, it did.

I will carry the Jungle Killer with me on hikes.
For quick chopping, camp work, cougar defense, and perhaps best of all, adding another psychotic element to the wilderness experience.

Might be interesing to see how it does against the Munk Cleaver.

munk

Spine thickness about 5/16" inch, pretty uniform distance of knife. Little thinner in the handle. Blade width 2 3/8"

No deformations of any kind in blade or edge in extremely hard wood.

munk

Astrodada said:
Fine kids Munk !
Made me feel like what my kids were young then ! Wish they were young and I'm no so old. :eek:

My older one's 17 now. Time flies. :eek:

Yeah, made me kinda laugh seeing those young ones :)

My kids are like your kids, Astro, just about at the end of their High School years. Just like Munk did above, I had taken some photos when the kids were young holding some of my firearms and such as fun photo props (weopons were checked and rechecked to make sure they were unloaded many times before these photos were taken).

Anyhow, though most of us here would not find that to be a big deal, I could just imagine what the politically correct would say if seeing those photos! LOL!!! ;)

Boy would they cry foul!

The kids sure do get a kick out of seeing them whenever we occasionally go through our photo albums :)

Well I have pics of my boy kissing younger sister (younger by 3 years)
My boy loved babies and still do.

When I'd show them both the pics of Bro kissing sis...they both went EEEWWW ! :eek:. Well I still feel like giving a kiss on their cheeks but they feel like giving me a smack. :eek:

p.s. sorry for the off topic. :eek:

Astrodada said:
Well I have pics of my boy kissing younger sister (younger by 3 years)
My boy loved babies and still do.

When I'd show them both the pics of Bro kissing sis...they both went EEEWWW ! :eek:. Well I still feel like giving a kiss on their cheeks but they feel like giving me a smack. :eek:

LOL!!!
Yup, typical kids :)

As for calling this knife a Rhino, yeah, I can see why one would do so :)

That Rhino horn like blade tip, and that wide bodied blade, yeah, I can see Rhino fitting (Rhino's are not usually considered pretty either) ;)

Pics from Munk.:thumbup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2-jungle-killer-012.jpg
    2-jungle-killer-012.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 2-jungle-killer-005.jpg
    2-jungle-killer-005.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 2-jungle-killer-006.jpg
    2-jungle-killer-006.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 2-jungle-killer-007.jpg
    2-jungle-killer-007.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 2-jungle-killer-008.jpg
    2-jungle-killer-008.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 90
And More pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2-jungle-killer-009.jpg
    2-jungle-killer-009.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 2-jungle-killer-010.jpg
    2-jungle-killer-010.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 2-jungle-killer-011.jpg
    2-jungle-killer-011.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 88
I like the look of that khukuri in the top far left thumbnail photo, it has a "real" nice overall profile........... IMO :)

The khuk is a 18" Samsher with a nice leaf type shape.

The revolver is a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt that I've cut the grip frame and regripped myself using a hacksaw, files, sandpaper, steel wool, and at the end for the grip in final shaping, a rotary drill bit. I used a borrowed jigsaw to cut the grip shapes. All work accomplished with just my lap, two hands and some time. I included this to show I do not always marr wood and metal.

The pine log you can see resists chopping.

The Jungle Killer grip is smoother but still not done. I have to figure out where I want to take it.

The kid is some urchin that keeps wandering around here begging food.
btw, the camera is a JVC micro whatever- it'll do a still photo but not with the memory or resolution of the moving pictures.

munk

munk said:
The kid is some urchin that keeps wandering around here begging food.

munk

You know something, if the kid is just some unclaimed property, I think you should bait him with some food, scoop him up, and make some good money off of him by selling him somewhere down in South America.............. LOL! ;)

For those that could not decipher all of that, it was just a joke :)

Munk, thanks for the very fair, unvarnished review. I really appreciate that. I think the design has potential, but start with a longer chainpuri style handle that you can really use, without grroves, clean up the cho, get rid of that rise at the end of the blade, and pay a bit more attention to detail. Those tooling marks are just not acceptable, and I have worn out a couple of dremel polishing wheels cleaning them up off the tangs of the M43's and CAK's in my collection.

For my $ in this size I would go with a BK9 as some said, or a Becker Brute, or the Ontario RTAK!, which has a super comfortable micarta handle and a great coated 10" blade and sheath, and can be found for about $80 if you look around the Internet.

Funny, could have sworn I saw one of those posted _somewhere_ on BF the other day! ;) :D

Regards,

Norm

Man I can't figure out why I like that blade so much. Its like some wierd ass eastern bowie/bolo thingie. friggin cool. What is the story with that snub nosed handle. Rhino bowie seems to fit well as stated. I can't figure out why the handle seems to line up with the front edge rather than the spine. If it flowed down the spine we'd have a natural integral guard. Its almost like a dang sharpened length of leaf spring with a handle. Still pretty dang neat over all.

Oh just a weather update. Here in the beautiful south it is sunny and warm. Shorts weather. Thanks. A

With that hefty bent tip and long spine, I think you could probably lever-cut your way straight through one side of a truck and out the other.

I think Andy summed up my feelings pretty well - it looks like someone sharpened a leaf spring and put a handle on it. It's probably a brute of a knife like all HI products, but it's not one I'll ever spend money on. Just too ugly for me.

I think I'll get one! how much? :D and as to th cho:yep-ugly as hell,but if you just make a half circle you can "choke up" on it.;)

Also glad you all like the name rhino just popped into my skull at first sight :D I must say,like a rhino the last thing one wants is to irritate it! :eek:

Back