KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

I was under the impression that The FIN came in 4 versions

5554 - Spear point plain edge - don't have
5555 - Spear point partially serrated - which I have
5556 - Tanto point plain edge - which I have
5557 - Tanto point partially serrated edge - don't have

Now I have to modify my notes... apparently the 5557 is NOT serrated, per this picture. Need to dig my 5556 out to see how the 5556 and 5557 differ.

This year's buck got field dressed with the Globetrotter.

GTGSiLsh.jpg

DHd4yZCh.jpg

I just got this in the mail today, KaBar fin 5557 to get a sheath made. This is pretty cool. First time I've seen or heard about it.

710, that KaBar FIN 5557 is killer... I would love to get my hands on one of those... Too bad they're discontinued!

I just got this in the mail today, KaBar fin 5557 to get a sheath made. This is pretty cool. First time I've seen or heard about it.

Dude, I deeply, deeply crave one of those knives... That is one of the coolest designs I have ever seen. I know this is a reply to an old post, but when I saw that thing of beauty, I had to say something.

all right, google turned out zip, and several searches here didn't help. Did not want to open a thread for that, just a simple question: anybody knows what is the steel on the Ka-Bar 1205? I'm doing a computer inventory and am being stumped on this one. All I've found is guesstimate of year, but not much else. It's a pretty shiny flat ground thin blade, very similar to a Marbles Expert in profile but wider, with a stacked leather handle and alum (?) pommel.

There are a couple things I would like to go over regarding the kabar line.
I would love to see the aluminum handled survival knives brought back into production, but with a stamp on the blade that shows they are new, not old production vintage knives. These would be a great addition to the kabar line, I would personally buy one.

Another good addition would be a bringback of the Victory Plastics and B.M. co N.O.R.D scabbard that was used for the 1219C2 / 1217 that was used in WW2. It would make a great aftermarket addition for the kabar line. (even a model to be sold with the knife(s). I suggested this for the remake of the EK dagger and it worked perfectly when it hit production. They are great sheathes. I am impressed with Kabar for doing this. Kudos.

I would like to see Kabar make a version of the 1219C2 with a thicker more robust tang like that of Cold Steel's 1217 (Leatherneck)

Another great addition would be a theatre style handle with plexiglass or other kinds of materials in a pattern that is recognizable.

I would like to see Kabar make a version of their fighter knives with Damascus instead of 1099 cvm. It would sell, maybe for sale with wade barret or russel knives or someother magazine so it will sell fast.

Kabar should also make a line of rough use, well made liner lock knives. I would like to see that. I am not a fan of some of the linerlock/non traditional folding knives that kabar sells. They are not practical. The handles of some are a glass nylon? or polypropylene material that slips in the hand. They should make this with a clip point blade like on the Emerson Sheepdog with a G10 or micarta material for the handle. (if its micarta it should be green,yellow,black color patterns that are contoured with a file to help with grip) I would like the kabar knives to be sturdy and with an integral frame like on the emerson sheepdogs, or Kershaw emerson 6ks.
A thick phillips head style pivot screw without any cheap looking embelishments. (perfect one would be like that of a CRKT M16 14M. (the CRKT M16 14T is my favorite knife) Lanyard hole would be great on the back of the knife.

A disc or punyo silat knife style opener (I know the emerson opener is patented, s perhaps modified to be a bottle opener on the back of the blade) or tapped (like a punyo silat knife) for a piece of wire or rod so it opens/deploys out of the pocket.

I would like to see THICK liners 6/16+ , but I know that linerlocks will develop play after a while so I am not sure if it would be a good move to do so or not.

Ideas?

Today I'm going to check out the eroded cliff\hill sides of a river valley for arrowheads and or buffalo skulls. Just packing water and a multi tool. I packed a Ka-Bar yesterday, but I don't eat the same meal every day. :)
That's way cool, id love to see some pictures

this thread needs more traction.
what's your idea of a practical "dream kabar" -- a CPM154 dog's head outdoors knife?
mk1 blade on a mk 2 handle?
a kabar version of the 225Q?

this thread needs more traction.
what's your idea of a practical "dream kabar" -- a CPM154 dog's head outdoors knife?
mk1 blade on a mk 2 handle?
a kabar version of the 225Q?
Everything you just listed vik. A Mk1 blade on a 1211 handle would be sweet to me.

Back