1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KAI-Kershaw Link M390- best knife ever

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by zito, Oct 27, 2017.

1. zito

zito Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2013
    So I recently picked up a Kershaw link in M390 after hearing about the exclusive run online. I got one here and another on EBay. I've been on vacation for this past week and these knives are in my opinion amazing.

Kizer paved the golden road to titanium frame lock S35vn over the past two years making CRK seem less of a mountain to climb to get a knife with those qualities. I'm not comparing just pointing out if I was a blind drunk man I might not tell the difference.

This is the rock bottom price I've seen for M390, aside from buying bar stock and making a blade yourself.

Big shout out to Kershaw - everyone should should buy one at $80 or less sell a PM2 cuz these won't be around forever.

Maybe we can get a small fixed blade with the same blade shape as the link but tiny for hunting.......or maybe I'll have to make one

mqqn likes this.
  2. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Now they have to make a Blur with M390 with Bule handle and Black CF insert .

BK14, Lapedog and Mo2 like this.
  3. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    @zito .........no pics?? I will be reporting this thread immediately!!:D

Great knife. I have one in s35 that I use as a work knife and it has held up very well! Love the blade shape.
    Enjoy it!
    Joe

Dallas T, danbot and Lapedog like this.
  4. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp The Looking Edge Sharpening Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 30, 2016
    I really wish they'd do an m390 knockout too.

5. SoCalEDC

SoCalEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I love my Link even though it isn't the M390 version. One of my fav blade shapes. Very versatile!

Ace Rimmer, DeadboxHero and Lapedog like this.
  6. maximus83

maximus83

Nov 7, 2011
  7. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I'm sorry, but the Link has to be one of the ugliest knives I've ever seen (leaving out the bizarre mall ninja crap). :( I admit that it looks very functional (which is, of course, it's purpose) but there are soooo many which are functional AND good looking! This post of mine is IMO a good example of why there are so many different knives (and other things). One man's diamond is another man's lump of coal. :eek: I'm truly happy for those of you who enjoy it. :)

Mike Large and 115Italian like this.
  8. JBradley500

JBradley500

Dec 23, 2015
    The Link is interesting. It’s one of the few Kershaws that I find to be nice looking. Kind of reminds me of a BM Amicus. I just feel like I don’t find any pleasure in owning an assisted knife anymore. The price is awesome though.

9. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    If the knife was 3oz lighter and not assisted it would be better in my opinion. I still like the knife. The 420hc version I have actually holds up pretty well.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  10. Nostimos

Nostimos Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2011
    "KAI-Kershaw Link M390- best knife ever"

[​IMG]

11. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    The Link is awesome.

12. SoCalEDC

Dec 4, 2015
    Believe it or not, I find myself EDC'n this thing more than my Protech lately. $40 knife and it's awesome! After owning a few flippers, thumb studs just don't add up with me anymore. I'm also liking the ZT 0095BK.
    Looks very similar to the Link in looks.

13. maximus83

maximus83

Nov 7, 2011
    Glad to hear that. [Updated to add: Forgot I have a Cryo that is speedsafe as well, but usually I avoid assisted openers]. But I've been looking to get a couple more M390 blades in a nice carry profile without breaking the bank, and this knife fits that.

Curious: Have other Link owners found the speedsafe system to be reliable over the long term? Always good lockup, reliable, and not frequently needing adjustments?

14. SoCalEDC

Dec 4, 2015
    Yes. I've opened and closed mine hundreds of times. Tension has not diminished in my experience.

15. Amurr

Amurr Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    any kersaws in m390 that are manual flippers?

Thanks
    Amurr?

16. Brusiedmeat

Brusiedmeat Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2015
    SpeedSafe assisted opening is where the deal was broken.. I would have a few otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  17. bad_juju

bad_juju Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2011
    The Link was never made in 8cr.

Its made of 420hc on the regular version, there is a s35v and The mentioned m390 in this post. The "glass filled nylon" model weighs in at 4 oz and the aluminum at 4.8 oz. How exactly are you going to knock it down to say a 1 - 1.8 oz knife?

mqqn likes this.
  18. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I made the correction in steel type, thanks for pointing that out. My knife weights in at about 6 oz. So its a brick for its size. And i bought the knifebat a sporting goods store and on the back of the blister pack were two languages. One in english said 420hc the other language, i cant remember, said 8cr for blade steel.

19. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I actually like the look. But assisted? No way. Should have known it being a Kershaw. Assisted knives are so popular and 'fun' or whatever but I can't be the only one who finds it hilarious how unnecessary they are. Weight is really getting up there to at 4.8oz my friend. Makes me happy you are happy but.... this looks like just another damn 'heavy assisted Kershaw' to me.

chiral.grolim and 115Italian like this.
  20. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    "best" is very subjective. The Link in M390 looks like a nice knife, but the best ever? Come on.