KAI-Kershaw Link M390- best knife ever

Bingo! I am a huge fan of the Leek and the Dividend is similar and slightly better in my opinion. I think the Link is well designed and a huge value in M390, just a bit too beefy for my Kershaw tastes ;). I did buy several Links as gifts though and the guys I got them for loved them.

Yep. See, this is similar to my thinking on getting a second, cheap Link in 420HC with the grippy synthetic handles. I swap handles, put the synthetic ones on the M390. Now I lose nearly an ounce of weight (from 4.8 down to about 4.0oz), and I have more grippy handles, AND M390. The cheaper knife can have the aluminum handles, which I could care less about.

Yep. See, this is similar to my thinking on getting a second, cheap Link in 420HC with the grippy synthetic handles. I swap handles, put the synthetic ones on the M390. Now I lose nearly an ounce of weight (from 4.8 down to about 4.0oz), and I have more grippy handles, AND M390. The cheaper knife can have the aluminum handles, which I could care less about.

FWIW: this works. The handles between the 2 Links swapped fine. Now the M390 has handles that I want: they're wider (0.6 vs 0.5), grippier than the aluminum, and knife sheds over half an ounce in weight, which is noticeable. Probably will keep the 420HC with the (now) aluminum handles for backup, or just sell on exchange.

don't own either, was gonna eventually get a dividend but now looks like I need it in M390, sort of a no brainer.

I really wish they'd do an m390 leek too.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Not saying it will happen but if we could make it happen would you want it in a certain color or a frame lock?

I would be a day one pre-order for a frame lock Leek in m390, just sayin'. If it was a Leek with the Flat grind instead of the Hollow grind... All the better.

And congrats on the first big exclusive! That m390 Knockout sure is tempting. I don't own any sub-frame lock knives at the moment...

Last edited:
Not saying it will happen but if we could make it happen would you want it in a certain color or a frame lock?

No frame lock. It's silly on the Leek. Strength isn't really one of it's selling points. I'd be most interested in it if it was the aluminum scaled liner lock version that matched the blue on your knockout with a satin/stonewashed blade.

Seems like it'd be the cheapest to do as well. Just a color change on the aluminum and a steel swap on the blade.

I'd be in for a matching Skyline too... and a Dividend... and the Launch 2... and Launch 4. You could have your own line of exclusives. Like BladeHQ with the Jade/M4 combo or CS with the Orange/s90v.

Frame lock. Not against the liners but having the liner leek compared to a shallot frame (I know they're different but came out around the same time), the frame just feels classier and the choice I would go with, all other things being equal. Pure preference.

I think your standard silver or black would probably sell the best but I'm going to say that gold or desert sand handle with a black blade would be sexy and different. Or stick with the same colors as the knockout, maybe run with the american flag colors and think of more for a collector's kit (red, white, & blue seems to be the color scheme of the website).

Frame lock. Not against the liners but having the liner leek compared to a shallot frame (I know they're different but came out around the same time), the frame just feels classier and the choice I would go with, all other things being equal. Pure preference.

I think your standard silver or black would probably sell the best but I'm going to say that gold or desert sand handle with a black blade would be sexy and different. Or stick with the same colors as the knockout, maybe run with the american flag colors and think of more for a collector's kit (red, white, & blue seems to be the color scheme of the website).

How does having a big cutout on one side seem classier?

Not trying to squabble as I'd buy either, it just seems an odd observation. The asymmetry of frame locks has always bugged me. Some pull it off better than others, the mnandi comes to mind, but I've always found liner locks more attractive.

How does having a big cutout on one side seem classier?

Not trying to squabble as I'd buy either, it just seems an odd observation. The asymmetry of frame locks has always bugged me. Some pull it off better than others, the mnandi comes to mind, but I've always found liner locks more attractive.

I think it's a cleaner design as in less parts. From my view point, a liner lock is like a frame lock but with a liner and a cover, frame locks tend to integrate the too, thus why it was named an integral lock originally. I also find monolith designs more appealing, like the cold steel drop forged knives, though I don't think I would own one because at the fixed blade level I expect that I'll abuse it more. Not sure it's practical.

Don't get me wrong, I like liner locks a lot too, probably up there as a 2nd fave behind that axis, tied with the frame lock, and then the back lock... then probably a slipjoint/no lock (like the feel of opening a nice W&T slippie).

Very close for me and a personal preference, I guess it really comes down to the metal sides I've seen of every leek I've handled and that to me seems like it should be a frame lock. If it's a plastic handle, like my millie, liner all the way. However, can't deny I've lusted over the frame lock variants either.

I guess the asymmetry doesn't bother me much because I view both frame and liner locks as "one-sided" carry-only, even though you can carry it on the left. It's just that the locks are optimal for right or left handing lock manipulation. I've actually thought about doing something similar with a BM custom shop where the inner scale is a bright orange (HS and college school color) and the outer is black for discrete carry. Give it subtlety and flare in the same piece. I feel like that was some of the allure so come of the CF/ti frame lock knives that have been out recently, usually flippers unfortunately, from ZT and spyderco (I'm sure there are plenty of others). I have some odd tastes, I like assisted flippers but not standard flippers. Symmetry isn't a requirement. I want practical use first, and then aesthetics. I like simple design (less parts) even though assisted adds parts, and slippies seem more complicated than a basic lockback or liner as you add more blades, though I have limited myself to two blades because 3 is too much.

I do find fixed blades the nicest but I can't deny the convenience of a folder for work where it's been recommended I don't carry a personal knife at all and stick to using the provided utility knife (which are never around when I need one, like tape guns).

Sorry for the book, hopefully you have some of my perspective on this.

It is a great value for sure. I do not normally like assisted knives though. That said, I would buy a M390 Leek in a heartbeat.

The link is a great blade design. I've got a damascus bladed one as a work knife.

I like the blue for the leek with aluminum handles . You should keep all your exclusive kershaw the same color handles . This way you gain in advertising . Like the Blue PM2 , PM3 , and the Domino . Also the Jade by BHQ.

Back