Kelly Axe Manufacturing Thread - Updated Dec 2015

Agent H - Sorry you feel that way - most of my collection will be on sale starting 8-1-16. More to come.

Thanks

I don't Operator. I enjoy all your posts and reviews. Also get a kick out of seeing the stuff you come up with - This adds to a community forum.

But I was just surprisingly put off by the apparent rudeness in the attempt to derail/sour your thread by "Who knows more".

Gben I appreciate you adding to the discussion here in regards to Kelly. I don't think it is appreciated you down right being rude and trashing people on a forum. If you have never made a mistake in your life, then you are entitled to it, but I seriously doubt that is the case. I realize people on here might not have the time accrued in years, use the internet more than you, and have better collections than you, and this seems to really bother some on here. Such is life. No reason to get all nasty on a forum. That in itself is weak. Please feel free to add comments that add to the discussion at hand, and refrain from doing it in a harrassing/bullying/idiot way. It will help out the forum in general.

That was better stated there.

Last edited:
I don't Operator. I enjoy all your posts and reviews. Also get a kick out of seeing the stuff you come up with - This adds to a community forum.

But I was just surprisingly put off by the apparent rudeness in the attempt to derail/sour your thread by "Who knows more".

That was better stated there.

thumbs up I agree

Pre 1904 Kelly NOS head.
file.php

Kelly prices from 1913

24146802515_4ffdcb4e28_b.jpg

Bob

P. S. I don't remember where I got this. If it was from this forum, I apologize to that poster for not giving them recognition for posting this.

I see they offered a "Hottentot" model. I spent some time in South Africa (early 90's) and thought that "Hottentot" and the word "Kaffir" were derogatory terms for the native folk there.

Would love to see a Hottentot Axe and what feature(s) earned it that name.

*Maybe I am reading the name wrong on the price list as well - only had one pot of coffee this morning. Thanks for the addition there Bob.

I see they offered a "Hottentot" model. I spent some time in South Africa (early 90's) and thought that "Hottentot" and the word "Kaffir" were derogatory terms for the native folk there.

*Maybe I am reading the name wrong on the price list as well - only had one pot of coffee this morning. Thanks for the addition there Bob.
I enlarged that and it's still hard to read, but I believe you are right. The name might also refer to "Hottentot Venus".

Bob

I believe those prices are per dozen. Nice axe.

I'm sure you're right.

I notice that a Perfect costs more than a Black Raven - they must have considered it a better axe. The 'Registered' is a big step up in price - their top line product. I don’t have one of those yet.

The Hotentot line is discussed by Tom Lammond in his booklet on Kelly. He states it was via Kelly in the 1920s, and the term described certain tenacious vines, and also a group of people in Africa. The axe name was combined with the image of a tribesman that was seen as intimidating in appearance. These axes were exported primarily it seems, and they did go to Africa, where they were not well received, and thus the name was switched to Cracker Jack Axe, which made it to the late 1920s.

Here's a little Demon I found stuck in a tree with about 1/3 of the broken handle left in the eye back in 92 or 3.
I believe it is a boys axe as it weights 2.35 lbs.
I'm just getting into old wood cutting tools and didn't even know what I had until I took it to a scotch brite wheel at work and took all the old paint, rust, sap and gunk off in preparation for a new handle.
I'm ashamed to say I abused the heck out of my little demon driving wedges and other unmentionable acts and you can see how mushroomed it was.
Any way, it cleaned up nicely and the eye and bit are sound so I'll be re-handling it for the third time and putting it to use this year (and years to come), and you can bet for now on I'll be taking better care of my Little Demon.:eek:

DSCN0451.jpg

Operator, your a gentleman. Thank you for putting up with some arrogance here and doing a good job of researching this brand of axe. Then posting all your good example pictures to show us. I appreciate this good effort. I have a 'Kelly Perfect'-- True Temper' with the 3 on it from 1950. DM

Great post Operator! I love your contributions and thankful for your hard work.

Please make sure those Sagers find a good home in August!

Operator, your a gentleman. Thank you for putting up with some arrogance here and doing a good job of researching this brand of axe. Then posting all your good example pictures to show us. I appreciate this good effort. I have a 'Kelly Perfect'-- True Temper' with the 3 on it from 1950. DM

Thank you sir!

. . .As I stated at the very beginning, I had the whole thing done and tried to post it, and it wiped it clean. So, in my angst and haste, when I was rewriting it, I mean to type one thing and wrote another. It happens. . .
It does happen, so don't take this as a criticism. FWIW in the OP:
. . .AmericanAx with True Temper on it - so that has to be post 1930 at least - (Kelly bought out AATCo in 1921) -

One side -

The other -

. . .

Those are two different axes. I've seen the other side (with the TT mark) of that double bit before in an earlier post.

Bob

Back