Kelly Axe Manufacturing Thread - Updated Dec 2015

Here's one in rehab at the moment.

Can you fill me in a bit? These were called cruisers? The numbers 3 with subscript 2 means 3.5 pounds?

Several double bits posted here have paint or is it chemical dye. Red, green, black. Were those colors original?

Thanks in advance.

Cruisers have smaller eyes and proportioned smaller from the get-go.

3.2 is a "full size" double bit. You might see worn 3.5#dbl bits called cruisers. I think most of the time that people don't realize that and call them cruisers. Wishful thinking, not knowing the difference, or assumption.

Also, I've seen evenly worn, well-cared for full-size dbl bits that might do well with 30"-32" handles but cruisers they aren't by definition of sorts.

I've got one similar that still has red paint in the lettering.

Zingy, Yours looks like a winner either way. :thumbup:

...I've got one similar that still has red paint in the lettering.

I would bet that the red paint was added after purchase, because all the references I recall seeing about the finish color on Flint Edges said they were black from the factory. Woodslashers, on the other hand, were red from the factory.

"Cruiser" double bits are typically around 2.5 pounds.

Thanks Agent_H and Steve.

The Kelly steel is certainly tougher than the Collins Homestead's that I've just rehabbed.

I would bet that the red paint was added after purchase, because all the references I recall seeing about the finish color on Flint Edges said they were black from the factory. Woodslashers, on the other hand, were red from the factory.

"Cruiser" double bits are typically around 2.5 pounds.

Popular end user color for visibility you think?

I've been trying to discover how those double bit Kellys were painted so I can do mine, in post #41.

It has ribs in the eye so that makes it 1963 or later I gather. The only thing close offered up by Google was painted black right up to the bevels.

Can anyone help me with this?

Hello all, I need some help trying to figure out the age and any info on an axe that was give to me.

My 94 year old father in-law gave me the old doubleheaded Axe. The axe is in great shape it just need some TLC. The only stamping on it is the numbers 3.2 on one side and (Kelly Axe&tools co Charleston w va USA) on the other side.
There is nothing else on it, nor does look like anything has been sanded off over time.

Any info would be great
Thanks

1904-1930 is what it looks like. 1904 is when they moved to Charleston and 1930 is when they changed their name to Kelly Axe and Tool Works, not co. Pics would be nice. How's the handle on it? The axe sounds like it will serve you as well as it served your F.I.L. unless all the hardened steel has been used up.

The handle did survive. It has a bow in it. More then likely I’m going to switch out the handle. I’m going to try and restore the blade. And tips on how to start the process. I hear a grinder will take the temper off. People say a steel brush wheel is less aggressive. How can I tell if the hardened steel is going

L7319OZ

Z24VvSt

55FHnR5

zsVLY5g

b13BSzs

Last edited:
Reactions: A17
Try weighing it. If it is 3-3 1/2lbs I would say it looks fine from what I saw. The only real ways to tell would be to nick it with a file near the eye and nick the bit and see if the bit feels harder. The other way would be a vinegar soak which would wreck the patina it has. I'd just wire-wheel it, sharpen it, haft it, and call it good.

I looked through this thread and didn’t come up with the answer I am looking for. Forgive me if I over looked it. Do any of you know the time period this one could be. I have another that says true temper kelly works. Would this be newer or older than that?
5-AE4425-C-5-F20-48-E6-A57-D-95-C967953485.png
CA70-BA76-2465-4-F7-E-B14-D-30422-FFAAF69.png
D0-E7-CFF0-A7-EC-4-BB3-BF91-97507-FEEB67-E.png
For comparison.
F2-A36790-79-DD-444-D-B919-9-FC2-F5-C7608-C.jpg

Older maybe when they started adding true temper to the mix.Never seen that before probably pretty rare have worlds finest and a flint edge with true temper on the other side and believe them to be older than the Kelly works stamped ones.

I looked through this thread and didn’t come up with the answer I am looking for. Forgive me if I over looked it. Do any of you know the time period this one could be. I have another that says true temper kelly works. Would this be newer or older than that?
5-AE4425-C-5-F20-48-E6-A57-D-95-C967953485.png
CA70-BA76-2465-4-F7-E-B14-D-30422-FFAAF69.png
D0-E7-CFF0-A7-EC-4-BB3-BF91-97507-FEEB67-E.png
For comparison.
F2-A36790-79-DD-444-D-B919-9-FC2-F5-C7608-C.jpg
That's a nice KP double bit with blue bevels! The deep bevels do make it appear older. I'm not an expert on this stuff because I just cannot retain the relevant info even though I've read it many times. What I can add is another example. Seemingly older with deep bevels. Same KP stamp on one side, TT on the other.
15780545441175468328252350307199.jpg 15780545702136926861430202085111.jpg 15780545968965641399184690474134.jpg
Can you take two side shots of it in full view? I'd like to see it from that perspective. Nice axe man!

That's a nice KP double bit with blue bevels! The deep bevels do make it appear older. I'm not an expert on this stuff because I just cannot retain the relevant info even though I've read it many times. What I can add is another example. Seemingly older with deep bevels. Same KP stamp on one side, TT on the other.
View attachment 1258465 View attachment 1258466 View attachment 1258467
Can you take two side shots of it in full view? I'd like to see it from that perspective. Nice axe man!
Josh, I don’t own this axe it popped up on my local craigslist and caught my eye. I’ll be in that area next weekend and if it’s still for sale it will be coming home with me. I will post pics if I’m able to get it.

Josh, I don’t own this axe it popped up on my local craigslist and caught my eye. I’ll be in that area next weekend and if it’s still for sale it will be coming home with me. I will post pics if I’m able to get it.
I would definitely snag it if you can! I haven't seen another like it.
I hope it's still there and you can get it!

Back