Kelly Axe Manufacturing Thread - Updated Dec 2015

I would definitely snag it if you can! I haven't seen another like it.
I hope it's still there and you can get it!
I know man that’s how I lost that Lincoln axe a while back not being able to go right away. But I’ll have to wait til I’m passing through next weekend I can’t justify driving 3 hours just for an axe lol. I will definitely pick it up if he still has it. I like the stamps the blue and the handle on it.

I read that as well but didn’t see any definitive answers or examples. My guess would be it’s earlier than the kelly works perfect. Either way It’s worth picking up.
Oh for sure, she's a beauty. I hope you get back in time!

I read that as well but didn’t see any definitive answers or examples. My guess would be it’s earlier than the kelly works perfect. Either way It’s worth picking up.
So after reading a little further into this and realizing what I was reading was the post you replied to. Were you able to locate the Steve Tall post that is mentioned as being posted a couple months before this one?

I don’t guess I can find it. I know the true temper name started in 1930 and the Charleston plant shut down in 83. With the wc stamp I would have to think close to 1930. :eek:

Thank you. The story of your axe got me thinking if the 1930 merger date was correct: Most likely there is simpler explanation.

It looks like AA&Tco was manufacturing some tools that were sold under True Temper name. I guess it means AA&Tco was supplier for AF&Hco. https://books.google.com/books?id=Oz08AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA202&dq="true+temper"+axe&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjj2-bZ9-rmAhXhUt8KHXwQCLgQ6AEwAHoECAIQAg#v=onepage&q="true temper" axe&f=false
Consequently Kelly Axe Co became AF&Hco supplier in 1919 when it bought out AA&Tco' assets. I wonder if your axe was supposed to have only True Temper maker's mark. I guess it wouldn't be anything unusual for Kelly to slap TT mark on their axes like it did under contracts with hardware stores. If that theory is true than some True Temper stamped axes could be older than we used to think.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...updated-dec-2015.1348864/page-4#post-19477929

Last edited:
I have a beautiful, original, "Catalog 30, True Temper, Kelly Quality, Kelly Axe & Tool Works of The American Fork & Hoe Company, Charlestown, West Virginia" I got this 50 yrs ago from a very old hardware store who kept old catalogs in their file cabinet. Some of the pages are great color prints. Now on page 50 it has "1925 Revised Standard Axe List"
When I brought this up in 2015, some people here said I was mistaken. How can I be mistaken, I am looking at an original catalog?
I have sent copies of the entire catalog to Operator 75 and Squarepeg. No, I can not make any more copies.
Make what you will out of this information.

The idea of the 1925 page being reprinted in Catalog 30 was floated before. I dont think so, for a couple of reasons:
-this catalog is very professionally done, I dont see a company as big as Kelly/True Temper making this kind of mistake.
-The catalog is "Catalog 30". This does not necessarily equate to the year 1930. Catalog 1 could have been published in 1895 not 1901.
-Most important to me is that the author of that article could have gotten his facts wrong. I can not tell you how many times dealing with historic buildings someone (mostly architects and historians) would show me "the original blueprints" for the building. And expect me to use these prints for a "correct restoration". And the actual physical evidence was not the same as the drawings. No nail holes or other signs that ,say, a wall was where the drawings showed a wall. I only considered hard evidence or historic photographs to be true. I was project supervisor so I always won with hard evidence. Besides, a lot of you guys also work in the trades. So, how many times did the owner come to you with a change that was not entered on the original drawings, and how many times did you, as the craftsman, have to make changes so it would work when following the prints would not work?

Bottom line for me--I believe Catalog 30 to be hard evidence that it was printed correctly, in 1925. But I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
I have a beautiful, original, "Catalog 30, True Temper, Kelly Quality, Kelly Axe & Tool Works of The American Fork & Hoe Company, Charlestown, West Virginia" I got this 50 yrs ago from a very old hardware store who kept old catalogs in their file cabinet. Some of the pages are great color prints. Now on page 50 it has "1925 Revised Standard Axe List"
When I brought this up in 2015, some people here said I was mistaken. How can I be mistaken, I am looking at an original catalog?
I have sent copies of the entire catalog to Operator 75 and Squarepeg. No, I can not make any more copies.
Make what you will out of this information.
That is a really special piece of history you saved there. Thank you for sharing and thank you for having the forethought to preserve it. Thank you also to Square_Peg for sharing again and to 42 for rotating :) . Great team work. Thank you all.

Negotiations looking to the sale of Kelly's property and assets to petitioner were opened early in 1929, and were continued until the sale was consummated on July 31, 1930. Negotiations were conducted on behalf of petitioner principally by G. B. Durell, its president, Winthrop Withington, its vice-president, manufacturing director and member of the executive committee, and C. G. McGhie, vice-president and general manager of the Welland Vale Manufacturing Company, Ltd., a subsidiary of petitioner. The negotiations were conducted on behalf of Kelly by W. C. Kelly, chairman of its board of directors, George T. Price, its president, and Duncan Bruce, its vice-president.

Findings of Fact
Petitioner is an Ohio corporation, having its principal office and place of business at Cleveland. The income and excess profits tax returns of petitioner for the years herein involved were made on the basis of a fiscal year ended April 30, and all of such returns were duly filed with the collector of internal revenue for the eighteenth district of Ohio, at Cleveland.

Prior to July 28, 1930, petitioner was engaged in the business of manufacturing forks, hoes and other miscellaneous articles, but did not manufacture axes or shovels. Kelly Axe and Tool Company, hereinafter called Kelly, was, prior to the last mentioned date, a West Virginia corporation engaged in the business of manufacturing axes and other tools, but did not manufacture forks, hoes or shovels; and Skelton Shovel Company, hereinafter called Skelton, prior to such date, was a New York corporation engaged in the business of manufacturing shovels. The Canadian Shovel & Tool Company, Ltd., prior to July 28, 1930, was a Canadian corporation affiliated with Skelton, and was engaged in the manufacture of shovels in the Dominion of Canada.

On July 28, 1930, pursuant to authorization contained in a resolution adopted by petitioner's directors and subsequently ratified by its stockholders, petitioner entered into a contract with Kelly and Skelton whereby it agreed to purchase, and the last named companies agreed to sell, all of the property, assets and business of each as a going concern, for a stipulated consideration, the assets of Skelton to include also all of the assets of the Canadian Shovel & Tool Company, Ltd. Pursuant to such agreement, petitioner, on July 31, 1930, acquired all the property and assets of Kelly, paying therefor on said date 12,000 shares of its preferred stock of the par value of $100 per share, and 154,541 shares of its common capital stock without par value, and, in addition, assuming all of the debts and liabilities of Kelly.

On July 31, 1930, the fair market value of petitioner's preferred stock was $100 per share, and the fair market value of its common shares was $251/3 per share, the aggregate fair market value on that date of 12,000 shares of petitioner's preferred stock and 154,541 shares of its common stock being $5,115,038.67. In addition to the stock paid as part of the purchase price of Kelly's assets, petitioner assumed liabilities of Kelly in the amount of $210,616.62, making the total cost to petitioner of the property and assets acquired from Kelly the sum of $5,325,655.29.

The assets acquired by petitioner from Kelly included (1) current assets, (2) investments, (3) accounts due from officers and employees of Kelly, and (4) deferred charges to operations. These accounts were worth face value, and, together with the liability accounts, were set up on petitioner's books in the amounts shown on Kelly's books at the date of transfer. The asset accounts mentioned amounted to $2,444,435.22 and comprised the following items: (1) current assets in the total amount of $1,970,992.27 (consisting of cash $461,982.44; notes and loans receivable $151,389.95; accounts receivable, less reserve, $261,529.34; merchandise, work in progress and materials, $1,068,133.52; accounts receivable, miscellaneous, $27,957.02); (2) investments $383,794; (3) due from officers and employees $69,462.53; and (4) deferred charges to

[2 T.C.M. 844]
operations (consisting principally of prepaid insurance) $20,186.42.
https://www.leagle.com/decision/19438442hvtcm8421615

It looks like Kelly took over AA&Tco in 1919 not 1921
Findings of Fact
Petitioner, as part of the purchase price of the assets acquired by it on July 31, 1930 from Kelly Ax & Tool Company, assumed all of the debts and liabilities of Kelly. In 1919 Kelly had acquired the assets of the American Ax & Tool Company. Thereafter, the Commissioner of Internal Revenue determined a deficiency in income tax against the American Ax & Tool Company for the year 1918 in the sum of $81,721.06, with interest, and asserted liability therefor against Kelly as transferee; the Commissioner further asserted liability against petitioner for such tax and interest because of petitioner's contract of assumption of Kelly's liabilities. Petitioner contested its alleged liability and filed a petition with the Board of Tax Appeals.
https://www.leagle.com/decision/19438442hvtcm8421615

Back