Kelly Axe Mfg Co/Tool Co/Tool Works/True Temper

I have been shopping for a Kelly Perfect Jersey pattern. While browsing that big auction sight, I have noticed eye ridges in these. Well some of them with 6 some with 4 and some without. Just curious if this could be a way to better date them. Also what some of you more experienced axe men prefer with or without the eye ridges.

Thanks

i may be wrong, but i dont think the dating via ridges has not quite been nailed yet. I read a thread about it the other day, and off the top of my head i THINK the ridges were patented in something like 1953 or 1963 (off top of head here). So we know that the ridges were available around that date, but we dont know if the ridges were an option, or if they were on all heads after that date. and then the different number of ridges is also another mystery, as I think the patent referenced 6 ridges. (maybe the axes from other manufacturers, and kelly, with different numbers of ridges were "test" products/ while they were still trying to figure out what was the best number.)
the above is just off the top of my head from a thread I read a week or so ago, so dont take my word for facts and at the very least my dates are probably off :)

Edit; disclaimer, that's just what I think I know, and I don't know very much! iv only been trying to learn about these axes for a few weeks.. so what your asking may well be common knowledge and im just ignorant..:foot:

Last edited:
I have been shopping for a Kelly Perfect Jersey pattern. While browsing that big auction sight, I have noticed eye ridges in these. Well some of them with 6 some with 4 and some without. Just curious if this could be a way to better date them. . .

. . . I read a thread about it the other day, and off the top of my head i THINK the ridges were patented in something like 1953 or 1963 (off top of head here). . .
I think this is probably the thread referred to:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1332341-Axes-with-eye-ridges
(True Temper's patent for the eye ridges was filed on 7/2/59)

Bob

image.json

Does this axe have a high centerline or flat cheeks?

Place something flat across the blade and parallel to the handle. If the flat object rocks considerably you've got high cheeks/centerline, if it's relatively flat then you won't.

Place something flat across the blade and parallel to the handle. If the flat object rocks considerably you've got high cheeks/centerline, if it's relatively flat then you won't.

I am asking if that axe(tazmanian pattern) has a high centerline or flat cheeks. I am aware of what a high centerline, ( I refer to it as convex heel to toe cheeks) is. I have never handled this particular axe and am curious. I have seen a Tazmanian pattern with phantom bevels as well. Probably on thi forum. I would love to get my hands on one.

A few of my favorites.

early Kelly Axe co. Jersey.
928ef3ce1938da3b82a206f9d7ce796b.jpg

TT Kelly Works flint edge jersey
7f8850de820896835532ebdc62b6bf26.jpg

Kelly's Flint edge. Owners name and address etched on the opposite side.
f0f46c3b40468512f14c7ab55f8fdce5.jpg

Kelly Tasmanian pattern
492c7f54606e1822ab6a3efdb4fb2efd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does this tassie have a stamp on the back side that says 001 or 002? These came in 3 types. 001 002 and 003. I have the 001 and 003 but can't find anything on the 002.

I just bought a axe from an antique store and it says true temper flint edge Kelly works. How old is the axe?

I just bought a axe from an antique store and it says true temper flint edge Kelly works. How old is the axe?
kelly works, if i recall correctly, they stopped marking them Kelly axe and tool in 1940 and switched to True temper in the Kelly factory marked kelly works and stopped using kelly works in 1945

I have a 3.5 Michigan pattern double bit marked true temper Vulcan and Kelly works I can fairly reliably date to 39 or 40. I broke the handle on it throwing it at a tree when I was around 13-14 years old. My dad was chewing me out when my uncle Ray reminded him of the fact that he had broken it when he was the same age. That would put the first handle being broke in 41 or 42 . They said the axe was a couple years old then . Uncle Ray was very good with dates so I have no reason to believe other wise

You mean like army picks? I've never seen one.
https://flic.kr/ps/434y1j
The first 10 pics on the roll are of a pick I bought a while back. Hung a new handle on it and wiped it down. In the first photo you can see the bronze filigree reminants. On the sides of the pick you can see BLACK written. There is what appears to be ravens on the tops and bottoms of the blades. I’ve never seen one like it and to be quite honest I just noticed the etchings after I bought it. I called it the “Gensing Hog”. Any knowledge/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

https://flic.kr/ps/434y1j
The first 10 pics on the roll are of a pick I bought a while back. Hung a new handle on it and wiped it down. In the first photo you can see the bronze filigree reminants. On the sides of the pick you can see BLACK written. There is what appears to be ravens on the tops and bottoms of the blades. I’ve never seen one like it and to be quite honest I just noticed the etchings after I bought it. I called it the “Gensing Hog”. Any knowledge/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Cool interesting tool there! Way back before power tools— hand axes and Carving tools of every imaginable form were created on the Anvil. My uneducated guess is it Looks to be a small Adze of some sort. I love those interesting old ones like this. I eagerly snatch em up if I stumble upon them.

Back