Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Thanks for taking the time to post those, Elliott. What a wonderful collection! They are all great but the Lock back Whittler, wow!

Thanks, Gary. I'd been dreading going through everything since I let my subscription lapse to FotoTime. But it wasn't too terribly painful and it was fun to look at the images (even though the real McCoy's are close by).

Thanks for the pics Elliot (one T or two? - I forgot). Nice of you to bring them back. Some stunners in there!

Charlie and Elliot, great collections of Ken's work, very impressive. He is on of he best tradiotional makers out there. I'm happy to own a few of his pieces also, which I will get together for a group shot. He is always a pleasure to work with and seems to have a feel on how to get an idea right!

Thanks for the pics Elliot (one T or two? - I forgot). Nice of you to bring them back. Some stunners in there!

It matters not...but for the record it's two t's. Just don't call me late for dinner.

Charlie, I don't know how I missed your posts. That's some fine looking cutlery!

Well............ :rolleyes:

Charlie,
is the top right knife in the last picture you posted inspired by an old Schrade knife? I believe I proposed that same pattern for the 2016 forum knife. I'ts very interesting to see Ken's take on it.

Elliott,
three reasons to thank you. First, because your posts and contribution to this subforum are less frequent than in the past, but just as valuable and welcome (if not more). Second, because your Erickson knives are a wonder to see. Third, because these knives are the product of something way deeper than a "normal" maker-customer transaction...and that's exactly why you, without knowing, inspired me to decide to join his waiting list and get an Erickson knife someday (no matter when it will happen).

Amazing knives gentlemen.

Fausto
:cool:

Elliott,
three reasons to thank you. First, because your posts and contribution to this subforum are less frequent than in the past, but just as valuable and welcome (if not more). Second, because your Erickson knives are a wonder to see. Third, because these knives are the product of something way deeper than a "normal" maker-customer transaction...and that's exactly why you, without knowing, inspired me to decide to join his waiting list and get an Erickson knife someday (no matter when it will happen).

Fausto

Thank you, Fausto for your very kind words. I have no doubt that when Ken builds you the knife you desire that it will be everything you had hoped for and more. I am very pleased that my friendship with and admiration for Ken as both man and knife maker led you to his doorstep.

Here is a bit more retrospective of Ken's work. A collage of knives from the master's hands!

KenEricksonCollage%201_zpsqb5q9ats.jpg

I was cleaning up the safe, and re-arranging things so I can find them. Since I had these out, I plunked them on the scanner for your enjoyment. Most were made for me, with a couple acquired in trades or secondary purchases.

I feel blessed!

Fantastic collection Charles. Not a single one is alike. That's what I like about Mr. Erickson. He challenges himself to do the difficult.

From Ossian in Sweden, a mailcall: Was waiting for this one the entire week, almost thought I'd have to wait another week since it was stuck in two of the lowest rated USPS facilities with bad reviews..lo and behold, it was here this afternoon.

Ken Erickson Dogleg Jack
3 1/2 closed
ATS-34 blades and springs-flat ground
Ebony covers
2 1/2 oz.
.093 thick master .078 pen

Ken is the master of 'vintage' custom traditionals in my book
The ebony wood on these covers are the perfect shade with a tight linear grain.

tumblr_oaqzt5Vmfu1rzq6m9o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_oaqzt5Vmfu1rzq6m9o6_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oaqzt5Vmfu1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oaqzt5Vmfu1rzq6m9o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_oaqzt5Vmfu1rzq6m9o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oaqzt5Vmfu1rzq6m9o3_1280.jpg

From Ossian in Sweden, a mailcall: Was waiting for this one the entire week, almost thought I'd have to wait another week since it was stuck in two of the lowest rated USPS facilities with bad reviews..lo and behold, it was here this afternoon.

Ken Erickson Dogleg Jack
3 1/2 closed
ATS-34 blades and springs-flat ground
Ebony covers
2 1/2 oz.
.093 thick master .078 pen

Ken is the master of 'vintage' custom traditionals in my book
The ebony wood on these covers are the perfect shade with a tight linear grain.

Wonderfully executed Tim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- hey, congratulations, Tim.........that's a beaut, you must be chuffed t' bits :D

So great to see pics of the knives Ken has made for Charlie and Blues and some come with great memories, especially that stag locking whittler.

So great to see pics of the knives Ken has made for Charlie and Blues and some come with great memories, especially that stag locking whittler.

Thank you, brother. :cool:

Charlie, I don't know how I missed your posts. That's some fine looking cutlery!

Thanks Gary!

Well............ :rolleyes:

Charlie,
is the top right knife in the last picture you posted inspired by an old Schrade knife? I believe I proposed that same pattern for the 2016 forum knife. I'ts very interesting to see Ken's take on it.

Amazing knives . . . . .
Fausto

Yes, Fausto - it was modeled after a "square-bolstered Schrade I have - also a beautiful knife!

Here is another of Ken's knives, which just arrived in the mail!
Thanks Mike R!! It's my turn to look after it for a while.

I remember this knife when it was made. At 3 3/8" plus a little, it is amazing that Ken got so many blades and such detail into this smaller knife!
Ken's hand-jigged and dyed bone, and a rendition of a Curley-patent Manicure blade (the nail-file works!), plus Sheepfoot and Pen blades.
All snap perfectly at about 5+ pulls, this is a nicely balanced Gent's knife!
Erickson%20Norfolk%20Pen%203_zpsgdy5uajt.jpg

Erickson%20Norfolk%20Pen%204_zps3yczk7bg.jpg

Erickson%20Norfolk%20Pen%202_zpsha50tidl.jpg

Erickson%20Norfolk%20Pen%201_zpsaxw60wve.jpg

Lovely. It's gone to a good home. I would call the one blade a wharncliffe pen.

Back