Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Ken has jigged some of the most amazing bone. The jigging on his navy knives is some of the all time best I’ve ever seen.

I’m not at my computer where I have pictures of them.

View attachment 1189028 View attachment 1189024

I wish I had more than one of Ken’s knives to draw conclusions from. However, it seems to me that he has a unique way of making knives that are tough but not clunky. This Sowbelly is completely traditional, yet it somehow manages to have a contemporary sophistication at the same time; similar to my Seamster Pro. I realize that is probably an oxymoron, but I don't know how else to say it.

I would love to hear what the rest of you think. Thanks LastRodeo LastRodeo and Blues Blues . Your knives show exactly what I am trying to explain. There is something completely unique in his execution. Well done @ken erickson !

Last edited:
This is the one that started my journey with Ken back some years ago. I told him what I had in mind for the blades and the pattern and he did the rest. Even way back then he was a hell of a knife maker. Every one I own is a favorite.

Erickson Bone Hunter2.jpg Erickson Bone Hunter1.jpg Erickson Bone Hunter.jpg

after the last clearance, im back down to one custom traditional and I am glad it is a Ken Erickson!

My avatar is a Ken Erickson that he most generously collaborated with me on some number of years ago. I call it a Baby Cattle. It is described earlier in this thread. It has been in my pocket every since delivery except for a couple of fluff and buff returns to Ken. BTW Leslie, I wear am Omega as well. Quality loves company!

View attachment 1189182

Well that’s too funny. I guess I should not be surprised. Omega is a lot of watch for the money. Just like Ken’s knives are a hell of a knife for the price. They are not cheap by any means; just a huge bang for the buck. I wonder if that makes Tony’s knives the Rolex’s of the knife world? I don’t think he would like that comparison, but Bose knives are definitely investment quality. Heck, even at what they cost, I cannot say that Bose knives are overpriced. I have a feeling that one day they will sell for as much as Loveless knives, but I hope that day is far, far away, for our sake and Tony’s!

I have noticed that Omega watches seem to be the extremely popular with traditional knife collectors. ptradeco ptradeco

Blues Blues , my background is also in federal law enforcement. We will have to compare notes one day. BTW, that blue dial Seamaster is a classic. Beautiful! Congratulations on picking that one and having the insight to hold on to it.

LastRodeo LastRodeo , sorry you missed the Omega Seamaster giveaway. It was limited to the first 50 Erickson knife purchases.

Blues Blues , my background is also in federal law enforcement. We will have to compare notes one day. BTW, that blue dial Seamaster is a classic. Beautiful! Congratulations on picking that one and having the insight to hold on to it.

It was an easy decision. (I actually do have a couple other nice watches but not automatics.)

At least my plaque referenced my legacy agency and work...

Can you say pot metal?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks, Leslie Tomville, for allowing me to take custody of this Ken Erickson Sowbelly!! (see LT's posts above on this page!) I thought I might never see another of this great maker's works of Art in my hand!! The magic in this one is taking a standard traditional, and making it special, and Ken certainly did that!!:cool:
Beautifully shaped knife, hand-jigged bone handles, smooth and firm action,
I'm in awe!!:eek:
Sowbelly A.jpg Sowbelly B.jpg

Has any one heard from Ken lately?

Ken and I corresponded last week about this and that, but not related to knives. He is well.

And for those of you who know Jerry Halfrich, (who I had the pleasure of introducing to Ken some years ago)...I spoke to him the other day and he is also doing well, and slowly getting back into the knife making game after a few rough years.

You're welcome, Jeff. Always happy to share good news about two good friends.

Back