Photos Kepharts...They just Work

I think the original Kephart had a flat grind along the straight portion of the blade and a convex grind near the tip. That is very difficult to achieve in a production knife. I suspect that a solid grinding wheel was used to finish or near finish the straight portion of the blade and the tips were done with a belt sander. Belts are more expensive to replace I believe and don't last as long. These were not expensive knives in the day. But everything is relative to typical earnings.

Colt revolvers were priced about the level that an accountant would earn during a typical week during that time.
Here's some chatter with regards to the one I hope to buy. I've been on a waiting list since last year with this dude.

I did change the set-up somewhat vs. what I usually do. I used the grinder with platen to profile the blank, distally taper the blade end and start all 4 bevels. I marked a line lengthwise where I wanted the thickest cross section, then beveled from the line toward the cutting edge and the spine on each side. I removed the platen to convex those bevels on slack belts. I put the platen back on to taper the tang.

Here's some chatter with regards to the one I hope to buy. I've been on a waiting list since last year with this dude.

I did change the set-up somewhat vs. what I usually do. I used the grinder with platen to profile the blank, distally taper the blade end and start all 4 bevels. I marked a line lengthwise where I wanted the thickest cross section, then beveled from the line toward the cutting edge and the spine on each side. I removed the platen to convex those bevels on slack belts. I put the platen back on to taper the tang.
Sounds interesting set up, you did a lot of the shaping and he is doing the rest of it?

No sir, it's all him. I believe this dude was able to get his hands on the one that Ethan has. He trying to duplicate it as closely as possible. I believe it'll be worth the wait.
If I able to acquire one, I'll be fortunate.

Sorry uncle Timbo, I assumed that you were quoting yourself, but it is the chatter you mentioned you heard from the maker. Thanks, and we do get pics once it's done, correct? :D

I wasn't trying to confuse everybody. I had a lot of input in my first Kephart inspired knife. This one, is all on the maker. He had the vision.
Sure I'll post pics. I'll be glad to.
I have a dilemma now, not only do I want this one but now I want one of Scott's!

Well, April is here and my knife is almost here also. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.
I found something I thought I'd share with the Horace Kephart fans. This is a 12.5 hr audio version of his Camping and Woodcraft book. If you find some extra time on your hands...

Thanks lodd. I'm not the only fortunate one to receive one of these beauties. I'm hoping he posts up as I think he has better camera skills than this poor ol hillbilly has. Either way, I'm getting ready to go to work again. Yes, on Easter. I only hope He understands.

Thanks lodd. I'm not the only fortunate one to receive one of these beauties. I'm hoping he posts up as I think he has better camera skills than this poor ol hillbilly has. Either way, I'm getting ready to go to work again. Yes, on Easter. I only hope He understands.

Thanks, Uncle Timbo! I usually take a parting shot of each knife I send out but I don't have a finished shot of yours for some reason. Here are some WIP shots. A little preview I guess...

gGjqGCm.jpg

I'm late to the party here, but this thread is a Kephart gold mine.

Last edited:
Good looking from what little I can see of the knife.
I received my Kephart from Mike a couple days ago. It's the truest museum replica there is. I'll write a more extensive post with photos soon.
So you have held that and Becker's original Kephart side by side to compare?
Not being snide - merely interested?

So you have held that and Becker's original Kephart side by side to compare?

Bless your heart. I read everything I could find on the originals beginning with Ethan Becker's descriptions here and in the article posted below. Mike describes where he veered from the Colclesser original. His is the closest.

HjYIjLU.jpg

2Cnctm3.jpg

Hey Wayne,

I'm glad you got it today and I'm really happy you are pleased with it. I've spent a good year and a half trying to fine tune the knives. I made the sheath also. It's a fair representation of the sheath Ethan's original Colclesser wears.For me, it all started in June 2017. Here's an article about the original Colclesser unveiled a the Blade Show 2017, shortly after Ethan Becker acquired it. You've probably already seen it.

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2017/06/the-original-kephart-knife-examined/

I remember reading at and watching some videos from Blade and thinking how I'd like to get my hands on it. Then, I first saw the knife at a gun show here in Knoxville shortly after the Blade Show and immediately began working to recreate it. My first attempt wasn't all that close to the original but Becker still said it was the closest to the original that had ever been made (up to that moment). Dan Eastland (Dogwood Knives) actually took the micrometer to the original but Ethan shared the numbers with me. I'm sure other makers have seen it by now but for a good while, Eastland and I were the only makers who had seen it up close and personal. I worked on 5 different prototypes for about a year before offering the first batch for sale. I received plenty of critique and feedback on my progress from Becker, other makers, and other knife industry guys. Yours is one of the last blades from my first batch of a dozen knives. I just got 12 more back from heat treat - Batch #2.

One of my knives from batch #1 appeared in a recent Knife Magazine article about Kephart knives.

If you haven't seen the issue. the article covers Kephart's personal knife, Becker's Colclesser Kephart Sheath Knife, several production versions from Ka-bar, Condor, etc. and mentions two custom makers. Dan Eastland (Dogwood Knives) and I are the only two makers with access to Becker's original Colclesser. The Knife Magazine article calls our versions "closer to a Kephart than anything that's been made in the last century." Becker has called them "near-as-dammit" to his original. That's not me being a salesman, that's what they said. Haha.

thumbnail

So mine are O1 tool steel heat treated by Paul Bos, Rockwell 59c. Blade is 5" long, handle is 4 3/4" in length. Steel is 1/8" thick at the hilt, the tang is tapered down to 1/16" thick at the butt end. Black walnut scales are stabilized by Wood Dynamics, 3 nickel silver pins are 3/16" diameter. The original Colclesser weighs about 5.5 oz. I think yours weighed in a little closer to 6 oz. As for the cutting edge, I finish it on a slack belt - like the convex bevels - so I am unsure of the angle.

I believe the grind sets mine apart from the production versions and the offerings from many other makers. Most every Kephart, including what I made a few years back, is based on a rendering from and old Colclesser Bros. advertisement showing the knife with a full flat grind. Becker's Colclesser knife has a dual convex grind and so do my reproductions. I had never done convex grinds prior to this project so I practiced on a number of blades to fine tune my grinding. The thickest cross section of the blade is about 1/3 down the blade's width from the spine and 2/3 up from the cutting edge. From that thickest portion, the blade is convex ground both toward the spine and toward the cutting edge. The convexing toward the spine relives some friction or drag and allows the blade to pass more easily through the material being cut - much like a boat-tail bullet cuts better through the air. My friend, Mr. Becker, called me masochistic on Blade Forums for wanting to grind the dual convex bevels.

So there you have it - took over a year and a half to get where I am now with the project. Thanks again for supporting it and thank you for your kind words! Feel free to post about it.

Best regards,

Mike

Last edited:
I stand by my comment
Well, since you chose to send me a highly agitated and insulting PM, I take it the answer to my question is a 'no.'
It was a very natural query, since you chose to deal in absolutes:
It's the truest museum replica there is.
Personally, I recently went with a custom 'tweaked' Kephart but am severely tempted by the designs closest to the original as well. Ive looked at ML, BK62 and a few others and want to purchase one close to the original, which Becker own. Itll be interesting to see the tweaked Kephart design work alongside a more traditional Kephart.

Thanks, Uncle Timbo! I usually take a parting shot of each knife I send out but I don't have a finished shot of yours for some reason. Here are some WIP shots. A little preview I guess...
@Hard Knocks
Dave, didn't you want to see this Kephart?

gGjqGCm.jpg

I'm late to the party here, but this thread is a Kephart gold mine.
Mike I can't thank you enough. I managed a photo of your masterpiece. More to come.
Heirloom quality for sure. You my friend are a Master Craftsman. Not many hold a candle to you.

Last edited:
Back