Photos Kepharts...They just Work

Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo it's looks familiar. Just don't recall when I may have done it. I've worked on a lot of knives over the years.
Scott
Let me jog your memory. It was severely 'bellied' out from someone sharpening only the sweet spot and the stacked leather handle was loose. You drilled out the pommel, reglued the stacked leather and ground out the blade and put a beautiful straight edge and grind on her. I then had a sheath made for her.
I can never thank you enough. I've had her since the early 70's and will never part with her. Just like I'll never part with one of your knives when I'm fortunate enough to acquire one.

Last edited:
So I've finally had some time to go outside and put the BK62 through its' paces for an hour or two.

First, I tried a feather stick or something like it. I'm a bit out of practice, but the knife performed just fine.

nUNSLSs.jpg

Then I tried carving a spatula. I also happened to be carrying a Spyderco Native 5 in S35VN and fluted titanium which I tried a few times, just for the difference between traditional and modern (more on that later).

VtmPNWq.jpg

This is the view:

fZ9fNpe.jpg

I managed to finish the spatula in about 2 hours. The wood was too hard, but eventually I made it work.

LVdB5m6.jpg

B3goj0j.jpg

So... first impressions:

Before doing this, I used this knife in food prep a few times. Barring dedicated chef's and kitchen knives, this is by far the best knife for food prep I have (that doesn't belong in a kitchen).

When carving the spatula, at first the knife and I didn't get along. But as we went along it got better and at the end it was pretty great.

I've also use the spyderco native a bit. It's really fun to see the contrast between modern and traditional. It became apparent to me that along the way, we've discarded some of our 'best practices' in knifemaking. (for example: the tapered tang). On the other hand, when you go fully traditional, you miss out on some great innovations of the past few decades. The S35VN really seems to want to cut and outperforms the simple carbon steel on the BK62 in a few areas.

The BK62 really hit home when it comes to things like blade shape, blade length and geometry. The ergonomics were quite decent: at first there was some discomfort between the thumb and indexfinger, but it didn't get any worse. The handles are a bit too thin for me, but the balance is quite exquisite. It's like this knife actively invites you to approach your cutting task from different angles.

The swell in the blade doesn't really get in the way. The knife works just fine in different grips, like 'chest-lever' and such.

What holds the knife back in my opinion is the blade steel. The simple carbon steel might be the traditional choice, but it has its' drawbacks. Obviously there is the lack of rust-resistance. Aside from that, it seems this knife has been heat-treated for toughness rather than hardness. It doesn't keep its' edge for very long. Thankfully it sharpens quite easily. (I sharpened it once on a very fine stone and stropped it afterwards).

Switching to a modern knife in S35VN really makes the contrast in steels stand out. Compared to the BK62, the S35VN in the Native seems to bite and slice into the wood with gusto.

All in all, the BK62 won't replace my favourite knife, but I think it could very well end up in my top 10. It's a very good general purpose knife. However, I think this knife would really shine with a dash of modern innovation. Primarily the steel. Secondarily: slightly thicker handles. Maybe with a liner in between. (The walnut feels fine, though. I think G10 or something would feel too 'hard' on this knife). Definitely keep the size, shape and tapered tang though, those ingredients make it a winner. Such a knife would be a sight to behold and a wonder to use.

I consider the price point fair, but it is also at a point that it will target people willing to spend some money for a quality knife. Personally speaking, I would be willing to spend a few dollars extra for the upgrades I mentioned above (maybe even up to $50 extra, although that's pushing it).

Sorry for ranting, I hope you found something interesting in this post.

So I've finally had some time to go outside and put the BK62 through its' paces for an hour or two.

First, I tried a feather stick or something like it. I'm a bit out of practice, but the knife performed just fine.

nUNSLSs.jpg

Then I tried carving a spatula. I also happened to be carrying a Spyderco Native 5 in S35VN and fluted titanium which I tried a few times, just for the difference between traditional and modern (more on that later).

VtmPNWq.jpg

This is the view:

fZ9fNpe.jpg

I managed to finish the spatula in about 2 hours. The wood was too hard, but eventually I made it work.

LVdB5m6.jpg

B3goj0j.jpg

So... first impressions:

Before doing this, I used this knife in food prep a few times. Barring dedicated chef's and kitchen knives, this is by far the best knife for food prep I have (that doesn't belong in a kitchen).

When carving the spatula, at first the knife and I didn't get along. But as we went along it got better and at the end it was pretty great.

I've also use the spyderco native a bit. It's really fun to see the contrast between modern and traditional. It became apparent to me that along the way, we've discarded some of our 'best practices' in knifemaking. (for example: the tapered tang). On the other hand, when you go fully traditional, you miss out on some great innovations of the past few decades. The S35VN really seems to want to cut and outperforms the simple carbon steel on the BK62 in a few areas.

The BK62 really hit home when it comes to things like blade shape, blade length and geometry. The ergonomics were quite decent: at first there was some discomfort between the thumb and indexfinger, but it didn't get any worse. The handles are a bit too thin for me, but the balance is quite exquisite. It's like this knife actively invites you to approach your cutting task from different angles.

The swell in the blade doesn't really get in the way. The knife works just fine in different grips, like 'chest-lever' and such.

What holds the knife back in my opinion is the blade steel. The simple carbon steel might be the traditional choice, but it has its' drawbacks. Obviously there is the lack of rust-resistance. Aside from that, it seems this knife has been heat-treated for toughness rather than hardness. It doesn't keep its' edge for very long. Thankfully it sharpens quite easily. (I sharpened it once on a very fine stone and stropped it afterwards).

Switching to a modern knife in S35VN really makes the contrast in steels stand out. Compared to the BK62, the S35VN in the Native seems to bite and slice into the wood with gusto.

All in all, the BK62 won't replace my favourite knife, but I think it could very well end up in my top 10. It's a very good general purpose knife. However, I think this knife would really shine with a dash of modern innovation. Primarily the steel. Secondarily: slightly thicker handles. Maybe with a liner in between. (The walnut feels fine, though. I think G10 or something would feel too 'hard' on this knife). Definitely keep the size, shape and tapered tang though, those ingredients make it a winner. Such a knife would be a sight to behold and a wonder to use.

I consider the price point fair, but it is also at a point that it will target people willing to spend some money for a quality knife. Personally speaking, I would be willing to spend a few dollars extra for the upgrades I mentioned above (maybe even up to $50 extra, although that's pushing it).

Sorry for ranting, I hope you found something interesting in this post.
Dont worry, it didnt really come across as a rant.

Why dont you just add a liner yourself, the scales looks like they have screws?

I might, one day. I've never done such a thing before and I'm usually not very adept at these things. Could be an interesting project though.

I might, one day. I've never done such a thing before and I'm usually not very adept at these things. Could be an interesting project though.
Should be a simple fun project and doesnt have to be fancy. Simple liners made from a plastic container or bottle should do nicely. Would also give you an idea of how thick you want the handle, should you desire to have more fancy liners fashioned at a later point.

Yes I remember that one now. Here's a trench knife I re-worked the handle for someone. Re-shaped the stacked leather and made a new guard and pommel.
Scott

View attachment 1097553
View attachment 1097555
Scott, you definitely are the man. You are a wizard with steel. You can turn a lump of steel into a heirloom that's fully functional and ready to give one a lifetime of usage...and look damn good at it.

....So... first impressions:

Obviously the handmade stuff takes care of the blade steel issue. I believe BK-62 was made to be a factory recreation of the original Kephart with a similar steel and one that Kabar uses on their Beckers. I think the Becker is a good knife. If I have any suggestions to other makers, I would keep the blade steel as thin as possible (and still maintain strength) and the grind either flat or convex. I'm fine with the handles being walnut.... the BRKT in walnut catches my eye. But I'm not buying any more Kepharts for the time being.

Thank you for your honest review.

Actually, I haven't ever sold off a single knife from my collection, not even the terrible ones. So I'm not sure if that's a good indication of how I feel about a knife.

Although lack of storage space might force me to start selling off some of my knives, I don't think I'd start off with the BK62. I have a few other knives I would get rid of sooner.

Is the knife so hard to buy these days? My go-to webshop still has it in stock (Netherlands).

Really like the looks of those Beckers.

How do the grinds effect use on these Kephart variations? I like a full flat on my big knives but does it matter as much on the smaller, thin stock knives? What is the original Kephart grind? Thanks!

Really like the looks of those Beckers.

How do the grinds effect use on these Kephart variations? I like a full flat on my big knives but does it matter as much on the smaller, thin stock knives? What is the original Kephart grind? Thanks!

The full flat grind on a smallish, thin knife like the BK62 makes it super slicey. I really like it.

The original Kephart had a convex grind. Difficult to achieve on a production knife priced where the BK62 is.

Can't beat the full flat.

I'll see how this Dozier turns out. Before using it, I have already retired a few outdoors knives. These Kephart handles are crazy comfortable.

Hard Knocks Hard Knocks - Dave, Scott's got a couple for sale a few posts back. @91bravo

Hi Tim. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but your above post showed up on my newsfeed. Thanks for the heads-up, those Gossmans are beauties. I just got a WTK of his from another member here that I really like. Here's a custom in the kephart pattern from maker redsquid2 IIRC. It's in AEB-L and it has performed very well for small game cleaning and food prep around camp. Cheers brother.

wP4Pptq.jpg

Hi Tim. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but your above post showed up on my newsfeed. Thanks for the heads-up, those Gossmans are beauties. I just got a WTK of his from another member here that I really like. Here's a custom in the kephart pattern from maker redsquid2 IIRC. It's in AEB-L and it has performed very well for small game cleaning and food prep around camp. Cheers brother.

wP4Pptq.jpg
Thanks Dave. That knife looks like it'd dress that Turkey out.

The full flat grind on a smallish, thin knife like the BK62 makes it super slicey. I really like it.

The original Kephart had a convex grind. Difficult to achieve on a production knife priced where the BK62 is.
I think the original Kephart had a flat grind along the straight portion of the blade and a convex grind near the tip. That is very difficult to achieve in a production knife. I suspect that a solid grinding wheel was used to finish or near finish the straight portion of the blade and the tips were done with a belt sander. Belts are more expensive to replace I believe and don't last as long. These were not expensive knives in the day. But everything is relative to typical earnings.

Colt revolvers were priced about the level that an accountant would earn during a typical week during that time.

While not a knife, my Grandad bought an LC Smith double barrel shotgun back in the early 40's and if memory serves me well, he paid every bit of $44 for it.
He gave it to my Dad and Dad passed it along to me. Seeings how I have no kids, I prolly give it to my brothers boy.
Talking about the price of a Colt revolver back in the day, got me thinking

Back