Kershaw knives-I prefer them to Spydercos

Spydercos are great knives, but Kershaws just appeal to my eye more and fit my hand better. Speedsafe is great. Comments?

rycen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
What do you think about the spyker?

DSCF0506_edited.jpg

There are a lot of great production knives out there, and some fantastic customs. My preference is for Kershaw, too. Other than a few customs, that's all I've been buying in production folders. Hunting for the missing gems that are out there is a lot of fun, too!

Their introduction of the composite blade is a milestone in manufacturing, and combined with the exclusive deal with Sandvik for a proprietary steel will continue to separate them from the rest. Not to mention having Ken Onion, Tim Gaylean, the Hawks, R J Martin and Lee Williams designing for them!

That, and they've got great people working for them! :thumbup:

Both are fantastic - I love my leek and delica.

Great companies, great knives.

kershaw makes some nice knives. i have a needs work that i like very well. its on loan to my friend who is the chief of police. he likes it really well too. one of these days i'll get it back and carry it for a while.

I understand the technical appeal of Spydercos, but not the aesthetics. They just look fugly to me. IMHO.

i'm not really into alot of folders but i definately think kershaw and spyderco are the top two......i am on the look for a new folder these days....it'll probably be a kershaw cause of the speedsafe though.....it's really convenient to open.....ryan

The Mastiff

Gold Member
I used to be a strictly spyderco guy. I still like them, and will always respect Sal and what he has done for the industry. On the other hand, about 3 or 4 years ago Kershaw just klicked with me. It's a company I can't find a single fault with. They are progressing at a rate nobody can keep up with. They have the most high powered design team I think has ever been assembled. The Quality of the products out of the box is getting better and better. The whole package is really unbeatable the way I see it. I'm really looking foreward to see what comes out in the next couple years. Joe

Benchmades seem pricy. I enjoyed speaking to someone at the kershaw table at the blade show (it's right down the street from my home every year )

Benchmade ain't too shabby :)

+1

As for me, I buy in this order... 1. Benchmade 2. Spyderco 3. Kershaw 4. (there is no 4)

I used to buy only Kershaws, then when I got money I started buying BMs and Spydercos. To me, the BMs and spydies are better cutters with some features (mainly on BMs) that are more technologically advanced than both spyderco and kershaw. I do love speed safe, and Ken Onion's designs however.

JTR357

Gold Member
I don't really buy my knives based on who made them.I like knives(folders) by Kershaw,Spyderco,Benchmade,Buck,Al Mar,SOG,Cold Steel,Mcusta,Boker,Moki,CRKT,.....etc

I bear no allegiance to any one company.If I like the knife,I buy it.If It happens to be made by a company known for it's excellent QC,F&F & CS,that's even better.

I try & stay away from Chinese made stuff with a few exceptions,like Kershaw,Spyderco & Boker.

Last edited:
I like a knife to feel like a natural extension to my arm when I hold it. To me that means eight out of ten times its a Spyderco. I do have several Kershaws though and love my Chive, Leek, Needs Work and Tactical Blur. But it comes down to what feels right, and to me, thats usually a Spyderco. :)

Do want to give those D2 and S30V Leeks a gander though.

Both Kershaw and Spyderco make top-level production knives. I buy both, and both function great, though I have to admit that in most cases, the Kershaw designs appeal to me a little bit more.