Kershaw knives-I prefer them to Spydercos

I like Spyderco, but I havent found one I like ergonomically, and my track record with lock backs includes a trip the the ER, so I dont buy them. If they changed their format from the mid-palm lockback design, I would buy more. I just dont trust them.

Never handled a Spyderco, so I have nothing against them. Like some of the designs, but haven't had the need to buy one. Right now I only buy Kershaws. My fixed needs are covered by what I make. The only folder in my future that isn't a Kershaw would be a Cabela's Buck 110 out of S30V, otherwise only Kershaw. To me the Lahar and JYDII can't be beat.

I like Spyderco, but I havent found one I like ergonomically, and my track record with lock backs includes a trip the the ER, so I dont buy them. If they changed their format from the mid-palm lockback design, I would buy more. I just dont trust them.

If you're able,try and handle a Chinook III.The ergos are amazing:thumbup:

I like Spyderco's, I like Benchmade even more. But since the first time I opened a Rainbow Leek. Kershaws rule the roost for me IMHO.
Thank you Ken Onion for reminding me how much I love knives.

Spyderco, Kershaw, BladeTech, and Emerson are the only production, folding knives I buy these days. I wouldn't pass up a knife from any of them. There are some circumstances where Spyderco's knives come out ahead of Kershaw, in my opinion, like the fact that they use VG-10, my favorite steel, on a lot more knives! When it comes to the "gadget factor," (BaliYo excluded), and new, cool designs, Kershaw can't be touched!

Benchmade, as of late, seems to be kind of a "one trick pony" (Axis lock), and they've proven to me they'd rather imitate than innovate (opening holes, the "Pika" designs). In my opinion, Benchmade took the low road, and I'll never support 'em again!

Looking down the road a way, I see Kershaw and Spyderco as THE companies to watch! The fact that they entered into the first, factory collaboration together really says something to me. Both companies are user driven, have great people working for them, are innovators, and above and beyond that, they're both what I consider very honest companies! They lead the pack!:thumbup::cool:

Regards,
3G

I like both kershaw and spyderco. I like like benchmade too. It's always a toss up each month on who I will purchase from. Boker surprisingly has been a disappointment, and I don't feel the love for Emersons yet. But I agree that Kershaw has a lot of exciting designs that have decent steel and good build. I'm keeping my eye out for the black SE Ram to be In stock!

I constantly hear nothing but great things about Spyderco, yet I can't shake this feeling that I just don't get it.

I'm not saying they are bad knives, I'm sure they are of very high quality, they just don't do anything for me; especially asthetically. I only own one Spyderco and it has quite a bit of blade play, so that kind of ruined them for me.

I still don't own a Benchmade and as much as I would like to give them a try, it just never happens. Every time I go to buy that Griptilian, there is a Kershaw that catches my eye instead.

IMO Benchmade and Spyderco make VERY functional knives. They are a tool and they do the job very well. Kershaws do this and manage to be art at the same time.

I know professional (as professional as you can be) climbers that swear by spyderco and won't touch anything else. Guess it just depends on what you're looking for. Spyderco makes a fantastic knife.

I know professional (as professional as you can be) climbers that swear by spyderco and won't touch anything else. Guess it just depends on what you're looking for. Spyderco makes a fantastic knife.

I can see where climbers would love Spydies. As light weight as they are, and with one of the best blade steels out there... for climbing/backpacking, they are hard to beat.

I usually carry the same knife in my pocket for a week, and then I switch it out for another one from my collection. For some reason, I've had my Endura4 in my pocket for the last 3 weeks. :D

I'll take this one on.... Looks like a Kershaw :thumbup: + feels like a Spyderco :thumbdn: = No Go

Just my 2 cents.

Spyderco is all about how the knife feels in your hand. IMO most knives would be much better if the makers spent a little more time on how the knife feels and were a little less concerned with how it looks.

Where Kershaw really gets it right is with the knives that feel fantastic in the hand and are aesthetically pleasing too.

Yeah. From what I understand, you've been a devout Spyderco fan for a very long time. Brand loyalty is an excellent quality in a consumer:thumbup: People should try it.

Spyderco is all about how the knife feels in your hand. IMO most knives would be much better if the makers spent a little more time on how the knife feels and were a little less concerned with how it looks.

Where Kershaw really gets it right is with the knives that feel fantastic in the hand and are aesthetically pleasing too.

Spyder ergos are fine... their liner locks feel cheap to me (i'm sure they are fine) and I feel that full liners add such a negligible amount of weight on a liner lock, why bother recessing them...then..... you gotta deal with ragged edges on the G10. The Spyker just feels a little under finished for what was a flagship product.

And to all the haters out there, who may question my Spyder conclusions, I have owned most of the top models over the last few years. I liked the ones with full liners, and didn't care for the ones w/o.... again just my 2 cents

Kershaw ergos, feel, heft and eye appeal usually suits me best. :thumbup:

Spyder ergos are fine... their liner locks feel cheap to me (i'm sure they are fine) and I feel that full liners add such a negligible amount of weight on a liner lock, why bother recessing them...then..... you gotta deal with ragged edges on the G10. The Spyker just feels a little under finished for what was a flagship product.

I'm having trouble following what you're trying to say, specifically the portion I underlined. Are you talking about what Spyderco calls "nested liners," and if so, is it the Military model you're speaking of, or is it another one? Also, I don't understand what you mean by "ragged edges on the G-10," unless you're talking about where the G-10 and liners meet. Just to try to better understand your complaint, I just checked my three, Spyderco Militaries, my SpyKer, and my BladeTech Pro-Hunter (for comparison, which has dual, nested, steel liners in the G-10 scales), and wasn't able to find any "ragged edges" anywhere on any of the knives, in fact, the nested liner/G-10 scale transitions are seemless on all five knives! Can you please elaborate, or post a picture of what you're talking about, so I can better understand. Thanks.

Regards,
3G

And to all the haters out there, who may question my Spyder conclusions, I have owned most of the top models over the last few years. I liked the ones with full liners, and didn't care for the ones w/o.... again just my 2 cents

Kershaw ergos, feel, heft and eye appeal usually suits me best. :thumbup:

I am talking about the very inside edge of the G10, at the bottom of the handle, it is usually left sharp, and I find it uncomfortable on my hand in a tight grip. It is more evident in the FRN knives, but I have noticed it in the Spyker and Yojimbo the worst on the G10 knives. I just got a G10 Endura that has a sharp edge where the edge of the G10 meets the liner across the bottom. Not a big deal, just irritating. Again, It's just an observation.

In the last couple of years I have had, probably, 20 Spydercos. I have tried the whole range. Some were great, some were good, some were bad. I keep trying, maybe I'll find the perfect one. The issue it that there is always some little glitch that drives me nuts. I get it with other knife companies too. I am a Kershaw guy, and there are Kershaws out there that drive me up the wall.

Hopefully, I have clarified the issue.... the rant about my position....well..... that was just a freebie 'cause it's late, I'm tired, and I didn't have anyone to bicker with today..:p

I am talking about the very inside edge of the G10, at the bottom of the handle, it is usually left sharp, and I find it uncomfortable on my hand in a tight grip. It is more evident in the FRN knives, but I have noticed it in the Spyker and Yojimbo the worst on the G10 knives. I just got a G10 Endura that has a sharp edge where the edge of the G10 meets the liner across the bottom. Not a big deal, just irritating. Again, It's just an observation.

In the last couple of years I have had, probably, 20 Spydercos. I have tried the whole range. Some were great, some were good, some were bad. I keep trying, maybe I'll find the perfect one. The issue it that there is always some little glitch that drives me nuts. I get it with other knife companies too. I am a Kershaw guy, and there are Kershaws out there that drive me up the wall.

Hopefully, I have clarified the issue.... the rant about my position....well..... that was just a freebie 'cause it's late, I'm tired, and I didn't have anyone to bicker with today..:p

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I totally understand what you're talking about now, and I agree with you. I originally thought you meant that the G-10 was ragged where the nested liner meets it, that's why I didn't see what you were saying. Having owned (and sold) a Yojimbo, I completely agree with you that the G-10 is rather "sharp" on the inside of the scales. Hopefully, at some point, Spyderco will think about putting a radius (chamfer) on the inside of their scales, like they do on the outside, since the hand makes contact with it as well.

Good points, and thanks again for clarifying!:thumbup:

Regards,
3G

Benchmade, as of late, seems to be kind of a "one trick pony" (Axis lock), and they've proven to me they'd rather imitate than innovate (opening holes, the "Pika" designs). In my opinion, Benchmade took the low road, and I'll never support 'em again!

I respectfully disagree. Benchmade has made automatic knives (switchblades) for a while and in variety. Benchmade Red class line has been better than Spydercos Byrd line, in my experience. As for the Pika, it's just another lockback with a hole in the blade. Blade-Tech does this too. Some people like thumb holes, other like studs. Benchmade offers both. They also do have the Axis lock, and they've just released an assisted opener.

Knife manufacturers that have taken the "low road" to me sound like Strider, Mantis, Ontario, and Cold Steel (to some extent.) I've never heard of anybody boycotting Benchmade before. I don't think they're stealing any of Spyderco's business with the Pika or other thumb hole openers. The threads are always "Mini-Grip vs Delica", not "Pika vs Delica" or "Vex vs Delica"

It's no secret that Benchmade doesn't get much love on the forums, they don't always do things to please the knife enthusiast (and just plain anger some people).
They make great knives, but around here you get a reputation for more than your knives.

Which is one of the reasons I like Kershaw so much, the people behind the knives.:thumbup:

I respectfully disagree. Benchmade has made automatic knives (switchblades) for a while and in variety. Benchmade Red class line has been better than Spydercos Byrd line, in my experience. As for the Pika, it's just another lockback with a hole in the blade. Blade-Tech does this too. Some people like thumb holes, other like studs. Benchmade offers both. They also do have the Axis lock, and they've just released an assisted opener.

I don't feel that Benchmade's red class of knives are a better value than Spyderco's Byrd line, thought they do offer some products of good value. I have yet to see a red class Benchmade with a G-10 handle. Several Byrd knives have them. I haven't seen many options in terms of size in Benchmade's red class line. There are several different sizes of Byrd knives to choose from. I have yet to see a variety of blade shapes offered in Benchmade's red class of knives. The Byrd line has more variety in terms of blade shape, in fact, they even have a hawk-bill blade in their line.

BladeTech uses BladeTech's trademarked "V-hole," not Spyderco's trademarked round hole. You may want to get your facts straight. The fact that Benchmade used their own "Oval hole" for several years, touted it as being a superior opening hole, then switched to using the round hole, trademarked by Spyderco, leads me to feel that either A) Benchmade was lying to me and their other customers when they stated in print that their Oval hole was superior, or B) Benchmade is purposely going after Spyderco's look. Well, I personally have no use for companies that lie or companies that copycat others' ideas and fail to be creative.

Knife manufacturers that have taken the "low road" to me sound like Strider, Mantis, Ontario, and Cold Steel (to some extent.) I've never heard of anybody boycotting Benchmade before. I don't think they're stealing any of Spyderco's business with the Pika or other thumb hole openers. The threads are always "Mini-Grip vs Delica", not "Pika vs Delica" or "Vex vs Delica"

Wow, you just gave a precise list of the companies I do not buy from.:thumbup: As far as you never having heard of someone boycotting Benchmade, you have now.;)

The reason you don't often see the "Pika vs. Delica" threads is because, in my opinion, the Pika was not designed (I'm using the term "designed" loosely) to compete directly against the Delica. I think the Pika was designed (again, I'm using the term loosely) to be an attempted lower-priced alternative to the Delica.

Regards,
3G

Back