Kershaw knives-I prefer them to Spydercos

Benchmade vs Spyderco flame war in the Kershaw forum......too much fun :eek::D:D;)

Just kidding guys.... you are both making some good points. Regardless of where it is taking place this is a good conversation. Keep up the good, civil convo.... :thumbup:

Benchmade vs Spyderco flame war in the Kershaw forum......too much fun :eek::D:D;)

Just kidding guys.... you are both making some good points. Regardless of where it is taking place this is a good conversation. Keep up the good, civil convo.... :thumbup:

LOL:D Yeah, this isn't exactly the place for Spyderco vs. Benchmade, and I'm the one who sort of initiated it, so for that, I'm sorry. I'll quit the whole BM vs. Spyderco debate now. Just so there are no misunderstandings, I think Benchmade has made some really killer knives, and before they went back to the round hole (from their oval hole), and before they started replacing G-10 with Aluminum (yuk:barf:), I spent quite a bit of money on their wares.

Kershaw, in my opinion, is taking the knife world by storm! They continue to bump the competition at every turn, which is no random task. That of course is not meant to offset the fact that Spyderco, too, has been quite tenacious in establishing and holding its place in the knife market. I think both companies continue to stretch the limits of what production knife companies can accomplish, which is great news for us, their customers! ;)

Regards,
3G

wow. It must have taken a lot of ENER-G to write that Tyrade! But you're right, let's not create a Rukus here! Things might become a Blur if you do! :D

I have to go with the opinion that no one knife manufacturer makes the "BEST" knives out there. I own many knives, Kershaws, Spydercos, Benchmades, Mcustas, Bladetech, CRKT, CRK, William Henry, Gerber, Buck, just to name the few in my current EDC knife drawer.…

I feel that all of the knives that I own "speak" to me in some way, or I wouldn't have gotten them in the first place. My "Favorite" knife is the one I pick out to carry that day...depending on my mood and need. Each manufacturer makes knives that for the people who buy them "fit their need or want" at that time.

Of course, my "Favorite Knife" is actually the custom that I paid more money for and met the maker first hand and won't carry to actually hurt, just to show off and appreciate...

But that's just me after a little wine....

Johnny ;)

3guardsmen- I didn't say the Red class was necessarily a better value, just generally better knives. They are generally about $10-20 more than the Byrd counterparts.

I'm pretty sure the Vex is G-10. It's some sort of plastic. And I also think that the Byrd lines are FRN, not G-10 (I could be wrong on both counts) Size wise, there is that Benchmade where the blade is longer than the handle, all the way down to the McHenry & Williams Benchmite. Blade shapes- the offer both spear, clip, and tanto point.

As for holes, yes, they might be trying to entice Spyderco customers with the round hole. Howeve, they might not be. If you take a look at the Byrd and Bladetech holes, the curvature of the hole is closer to that of a circle than the ovoid Benchmade. It might actually be a performance thing, possibly giving the edge of your thumb more area to flick it out with. (As for Benchmade touting their thumb hole as superior- I don't think there is a single company that won't say its product is superior.)

Of course, that might be wrong.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Pika is not designed to appeal to Benchmade AFCK fans, come to think of it.

You're entitled to boycott whomever you please, and I won't try and stop you. Let's agree to disagree, and be glad we can do it in a civilized and polite way.

3guardsmen- I didn't say the Red class was necessarily a better value, just generally better knives. They are generally about $10-20 more than the Byrd counterparts.

The relative cost of a knife means little to me. It certainly doesn't determine which knives are "better," which is totally subjective anyway. I think the Kershaw Lahar is a "better" knife, for my purposes, than the Spyderco, G-10, Endura 4, and it can be purchased for half the price of the Spyderco. Heck, I have Opinels that do a "better" job of cutting than some of my Spydercos and Kershaws, and they (Opinels) can be purchased for under $10 each.

I'm pretty sure the Vex is G-10. It's some sort of plastic. And I also think that the Byrd lines are FRN, not G-10 (I could be wrong on both counts) Size wise, there is that Benchmade where the blade is longer than the handle, all the way down to the McHenry & Williams Benchmite. Blade shapes- the offer both spear, clip, and tanto point.

You're absolutely right about the Vex, it was I who was wrong! It is G-10 and I completely forgot about it. You're wrong about the Byrds though, as several of them are available in G-10 (as well as FRN and stainless steel). I also forgot about the BM LFK (the 5+" bladed folder) and the Benchmite II (which used to be a blue class knife). My bad on forgetting those ones.:eek:

As for holes, yes, they might be trying to entice Spyderco customers with the round hole. Howeve, they might not be. If you take a look at the Byrd and Bladetech holes, the curvature of the hole is closer to that of a circle than the ovoid Benchmade. It might actually be a performance thing, possibly giving the edge of your thumb more area to flick it out with. (As for Benchmade touting their thumb hole as superior- I don't think there is a single company that won't say its product is superior.)
A couple of clarifications. Spyderco uses the "comet" shaped hole on their Byrd line because it is a different line from their main line. BladeTech, as I stated earlier, uses their trademarked "V-hole."

Benchmade is currently using Spyderco's trademarked "round" hole, which, according to Benchmade and Spyderco, is being used under some sort of agreement, so Benchmade's current hole is no different, from what I can tell, from the one Spyderco invented, trademarked, and patented. Benchmade used to use their own "oval" hole, which they touted as superior to the round hole they had licensed from Spyderco previously.

You said, "I don't think there is a single company that won't say its product is superior." I would agree with that, however, I do not think there are many companies that would go back to using a product they've implied was inferior. Benchmade did that when they went back to using the round hole after claiming that their oval hole was superior. My question is why they would do that. I can only think of two possible answers, both of which I have already posted, and neither of which I think is good.

Of course, that might be wrong.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Pika is not designed to appeal to Benchmade AFCK fans, come to think of it.

Do you mean you think it is designed to appeal to AFCK fans, because I never stated that I felt it was?:confused:

You're entitled to boycott whomever you please, and I won't try and stop you. Let's agree to disagree, and be glad we can do it in a civilized and polite way.

Absolutely, sir.:)

Regards,
3G

Last edited:
Do you mean you think it is designed to appeal to AFCK fans, because I never stated that I felt it was?

Aggh, yes. Thanks for stating the typo. I was trying to say it was designed to appeal to AFCK fans rather than Spyderco fans.

I have to say I'm a Spyderman pun intended, but I 've been collecting Kershaws longer then any other knife going back 20 plus yrs. now. Kershaw is still close to the top, and I'm crazy about my new Leek but just a little disapointed in my Needs Work. I really like Kershaws 13C26 steel!! I never could warm up to their 440A the way it was heat treated(I've sharpened a lot of them for the guys), and that is why I was slow to getting one. I think at this point 13C26 is my third favorite steel just behind 30V and D2. I work on a military base and I see more Leeks in pilots flight suits and in our unit then any other knife easily! Mr Onion deserves all the kudos he gets for this great EDC, and It's the only frame lock I like.

I have to say I'm a Spyderman pun intended, but I 've been collecting Kershaws longer then any other knife going back 20 plus yrs. now. Kershaw is still close to the top, and I'm crazy about my new Leek but just a little disapointed in my Needs Work. I really like Kershaws 13C26 steel!! I never could warm up to their 440A the way it was heat treated(I've sharpened a lot of them for the guys), and that is why I was slow to getting one. I think at this point 13C26 is my third favorite steel just behind 30V and D2. I work on a military base and I see more Leeks in pilots flight suits and in our unit then any other knife easily! Mr Onion deserves all the kudos he gets for this great EDC, and It's the only frame lock I like.

A military base in Columbia Tennessee? I heard it was bad in Columbia, but didn't know it was so bad they put a military base there...

I'm a big fan of Kershaw and Spyderco. However, I must say that Kershaw seems to have a much higher level of QC than Spyderco. I recently purchased a Kershaw Skyline and a Spec Bump, and was extremely impressed with both. I picked the Skyline up for about $25.00 on sale, and it represents and excellent value.

I've never had an issue with any of the Seki Spydercos, but I've had problems with numerous Golden CO models; I'm not sure why. While I think that BM makes some of the most visually appealing mid-priced knives around, I think the edges are too thick. I hate reprofiling a brand new knife, so I generally don't buy BMs unless it's something I just can't resist.

I don't think that I could pick a clear winner between Spyderco and Kershaw, so I'm content to enjoy both!

Back