Keyhole Fighter WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be my first WIP and first attempt to build a Keyhole Fighter. These two pictures show my concept.

Drawing1_zpsc65075bd.jpg

Drawing2_zpsd142d95c.jpg

This may or may not be a sub hilt, as you can see from the two drawings above. I’ll determine as I make progress if that becomes too much for the overall design.

The process will be similar to how I built the Copper Keyhole Hunter shown here.

72-1_zps1ea34656.jpg

I’m starting with a blade that I forged out of W2 back in the spring.

Drawing-Blade_zps5c962bc5.jpg

I will try to show as much of my process as possible, focusing on the keyhole design and construction.

Thanks for your interest.
Ken

Neat. When I saw the drawing I thought integral. I look forward to this one.

Man, a sub-hilt keyhole will not only be quite the feat but a helluva fighter! :cool:

Hi Ken . I am looking forward to this, it should be great.I remember talking to you about the copper keyhole and how you did that handle.It will be great to SEE how you do it.

Steve

more, more, more.....i'm really looking forward to following this one. Thanks Mr Hall

Finished up the rough grinding of the blade, I grind to 120 grit before heat treating.

Knife2_zps084a8d3b.jpg

Clay coating for heat treating.

Knife3_zpsb19955d9.jpg

I heat W2 up to 1495° for the quench.

Knife4_zpsef2473be.jpg

After a little clean up, before going into the oven at 450° for 2 two hour cycles.

Knife5_zpsa26ce12b.jpg

While the knife was in the oven I began working on the keyhole guard. I’m going to use 410 stainless steel to make the keyhole guard.

410SS_zpsea29ecff.jpg

I cut a 2.5’ x 2.5’ X ¾’ section.

410SS2_zps38b5e05d.jpg

I then marked out the keyhole design on the 410 SS block.

Keyhole2_zpsc1699e76.jpg

Keyhole1_zpse8392a94.jpg

Then I drill out the holes. For the keyhole design the holes are three 3/8” holes and for the guard area the holes are ½”.

Keyhole4_zps3dbedc49.jpg

Keyhole3_zpsc5030091.jpg

I will absolutely be following this. I have been wanting to see a WIP like this for a long time.

Always been interested in how this handle type was done. Thanks for doing the WIP! will definitely be following

Update 3

After the oven I clean up the tang and then soften it by heating it with a torch until it turns gray.

Knife5_zpsdf33be99.jpg

Then back to the grinder to finish grinding to 400 grit.

Knife6_zps3cd4b83e.jpg

Then I clean up the plunge-lines with this set-up for my KMG, using a 400 grit belt.

Grinder1_zpsf481c7d9.jpg

Knife-Grinder1_zps926224ae.jpg

I also clean up the bottom of the ricasso.

Knife-Grinder2_zpsd86c10d0.jpg

Here is another shot of the grinder without a belt.

Grinder2_zps08d41362.jpg

The results:

Knife7_zpsf0120c6b.jpg

What is that, a long platen with a radiused edge? Can we get a picture of the whole thing minus the belt...please?

Knife-Grinder2_zpsd86c10d0.jpg

That is Slick!
Five Stars..
Much Respect.

I'm really enjoying this so far! I can't wait to see the finished knife. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back