1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Knife and Knife Related Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by singularity35, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ono724

ono724

Jul 17, 2010
    :thumbup::thumbup:

2. Austinaftermath

Austinaftermath

Sep 2, 2009
    People who think "knifes" is a word.

3. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    or "knive"...

4. FLymon

FLymon Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2006
    People who think a new knife that arrives with dull off-centered blade(s), mismatched scales and gaps where there shouldn't be any is perfectly acceptable if said knife is going to be "a user".

5. cramsey3006

cramsey3006

Aug 2, 2010
    Here's another one:

When people ask about the RAT line from Ontario and all of the ESEE fanatics start slamming the OKC. When OKC made RAT, the blades were great. Now, they are junk. Seriously, it's been 4 years! Things happen. Move on.

6. Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Jul 27, 2010
    Knife snobbery! I have no problem with people that can afford to own customs and high end knives. If you have that kind of money, fine, enjoy it. Just don't look down on the average guy that buys knives less than $50.00 that he uses everyday. Our fathers and grandfathers worked with old Bucks, Schrades, etc., and got by just fine. I think sometimes we lose sight of what a knife is for. Just my opinion. Thanks.

7. Heiheit

Heiheit

Feb 4, 2009
    So you don't like anything? I'm guessing you carry a sword around? :D Only messing with you.

To the OP - Are we talking about the knives themselves or the people?

If it's knives.. I don't like cheap black coatings like teflon, but don't mind good ones like DLC. I can't stand a blade with a thick stock and a shallow blade grind that's not to say I don't like knives with thick stocks - See the ZT 030X to see it done right.

Lousy fit and finish bothers the hell out of me especially on more expensive knives.

If it's people - I can't stand "fanboys"; the spyderco ones are the worst I've found. I like spyderco as much as the next guy, but tone it down a bit alright?

Also, people who carry around 15 knives, what are you possibly going to do with those?

There you go. :p:D

8. ono724

ono724

Jul 17, 2010
    :thumbup::thumbup:Well said :D *as I pull out my Sebenza..* j/k , the most expensive knife I own is the ZT0200, which btw, get's used pretty much every day..

9. somber

somber Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I hate it when I leave the house and someone uses my knives without care.

I come back from being out the previous night and reach to open something - the knife has a layer of rust on the edge, a roll near the tip, and the whole entire cutting edge is dull. I mention it to the woman that used it, saying that they need to be taken care of a little more than her "way better Cutco" knives. Worst of all, she said she didn't do it, she just had it in the sink. Well, the sink is made of ceramic, it's harder than steel and will dull the edge - "well I didn't have it in the sink, it was resting in the bowl", that's made of ceramic, too. When I mention the rolled/chipped edge - "that must have been there already because I didn't do anything like that".

No it wasn't, I know that it was done by you, I know how to take care of my things and I sharpened it moments before you came over, that roll was not on the edge. Unless metal is spontaneously rolling/chipping it had to have happen while I was gone.

10. bd51

bd51

Jun 15, 2010
    Exactly! Why leave out 10% of your customers? Kershaw has 99% liner locks :mad: SOG has non reversable clips :mad:. Other companies like spyderco, benchmade and cold steel are better about being ambidextrous.

11. Jhansenak47

Jhansenak47 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2005
    People who borrow my knife and use it as a screwdriver then bring it back to me. Then when asked what the F#%$ happend to my knife tip as it was bent. They tell me they needed a screwdriver. Hey if you needed a motherf$#$ing screwdriver ask me for a motherf#%$ing screwdriver and not a knife. That was especially irritating as I had several screwdrivers in different lengths and sizes with me.

12. GenerallyAwsomeDude

GenerallyAwsomeDude

Dec 12, 2010
    -Frost Cutlery.

13. sak_collector

sak_collector

Jan 25, 2005
    Have seen this many times over the years: Something like,

"I sent my 700 dollar folder to the maker to have a screw adjusted and he said he would have it back in 2 weeks. Now it is 18 months and he wont answer my emails, phone calls or postal mail"

Then the replies that really get old...
    - Have you tried calling? (duh)
    - He does not answer email or phones...but he is a stand up guy.
    - He hunts a lot so he is probably outside.
    - He might be getting ready for a show.
    - 18 months and you are ready to complain and ruin this stand up guys business?
    - Makers dont always have the best organizational skills, but the wait it worth it.
    - Your fault for sending it to him in the first place...suck it up.

14. Seanifred

Seanifred

Sep 3, 2010
    with a flipper

15. GhostRing

GhostRing

Jan 2, 2011
    My big issue is finding myself the only one who even has a knife on me.
    People seem to always need one, yet are woefully unprepared...
    I do not lend them out either. If you need to go somewhere with my knife, then you can go there and pick up your own on the way.

16. manghu67

manghu67 American Kami Custom Blades / Knifemaker

Oct 24, 2000
    That's interesting. Have you ever owned one of my knives? Just curious.

17. Swedge

Swedge

Dec 23, 2008
    Complaints about knives "Made in China" without regard to the quality of the knives.

We want other countries to buy our movies, airplanes, software, heavy machinery (Caterpillars and John Deeres), pharmaceuticals, and foodstuffs, and to finance our public debt by buying our Treasury notes and bonds, but it's unfair and greedy of other countries to want us to buy a knife?

18. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Only problem is if it happens to be a knock off. I'd rather my dollars stay in my country if possible.

19. Slider817

Slider817

Mar 26, 2010
    Or nife

20. Slider817

Slider817

Mar 26, 2010
    The main thing that bothers me is when I need to reprofile a blade right out of the box. Most other things I should have known before buying the knife.