Knife and Knife Related Pet Peeves

Kershaw has 99% liner locks
Ummm...I'm afraid your percentage is way off.

I'm disappointed with knife enthusiasts who don't get personally vested with organizations like AKTI or Knife Rights, to assist in protecting the future of our industry.

I do not like chisel grind. As well as all this crap about tacktical knives - how superb they are at cutting, sliceing, stabbing human beings. I like human beings. And prefer them shot, or spiced, or shocked, or even hit - if you ask me.

Many new knives come dull out of the box. There is no excuse for this, while I know how to sharpen, many other people do not.

My pet peeves:

~Chisel grinds
~Single-beveled edges on double-bevel grinds like on Emerson and some CRKT knives (seriously--what the heck is up with that?)
~Tip-down carry
~Saber grinds
~Hollow grinds
~People who think that steel choice is more important than heat treatment and blade geometry.
~People who drop 3 digits or higher on a knife and don't use it. The maker didn't work that hard to make a knife that nice for it to not get used.
~G10 with aggressive texturing
~Aggressive jimping
~When aggressive G10 and jimping are used as a substitute for good ergonomics. A well-designed handle should be able to be made out of oiled glass and still stay firm in the hand.
~Butter knives with rigid blades. No joke. I stalk thrift/antique stores looking for the old ones with the springy flexible blades.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I've got for now. :D

Im on the otherbside of the fence, fortytwoblades

Aside from many listed complaints, i am ticked off by smooth g10 and checkered g10 that offers no traction and nonfunctional jimping

Also i hate pocket clips that jam into my hand painfully(sog vulcan, emerson horseman)

Also i hate thumb discs and 440 stainless whatever that means

And i hate people that think gerber is the sh*t

More Peeves:

People who look down on others for buying inexpensive knives.

Poeple who look down on others for buying expensive knives.

guys who carry a knife all the time but all they ever do with it is flip it out and flash it around whenever there are people around to notice - so everyone KNOWS they have it - usually wannabe billy bad as***

Last edited:
I hate when someone asks what knife is good for selfdefense? Then fifty people chime in and say buy a glock. Is this not a knife forum key word knife .

I hate when someone asks what knife is good for selfdefense? Then fifty people chime in and say buy a glock. Is this not a knife forum key word knife .

This made me think of one...

My peeve is when a decent firearms maker sells out their name to be put on utterly craptacular knives (there are several I can think of).

oh and one more

my ultimate ultimate pet peeve....

... is seeing some new awesome knife/gun/flashlight and not having the money for it!!!!!

Im on the otherbside of the fence, fortytwoblades

Aside from many listed complaints, i am ticked off by smooth g10 and checkered g10 that offers no traction and nonfunctional jimping

Also i hate pocket clips that jam into my hand painfully(sog vulcan, emerson horseman)

Also i hate thumb discs and 440 stainless whatever that means

And i hate people that think gerber is the sh*t

Ooh your list reminded me of a few.

~I hate nice knives with goofy/ugly pocket clips
~I hate round thumb discs that aren't flattened on at least one side to prevent rotation. (Emersons again--I can unscrew the thumb discs just by rotating it with my fingers)
~Pivot screws that take a special custom-made tool to adjust.

I hate pocket clips - period. I carry a pocket knife in my pocket, out of sight, out of mind. If I want to advertise I have a knife, I'll wear a fixed blade. I have passed up on quite a few "modern" folders because removing the clip usually leaves you with an ugly recess where the clip sat or at least 2 or 3 holes. Though I guess it is a plus for custom makers as you can request that they omit the clip on the one you order.

My big ones are:

* Weak locks on folders.
* Pocket clips that are so damn tight you cant clip them to anything or if you do you cant get them off. I like my knife to be secure but quick access is key. Some middle ground here would be nice.
* the sheath design on my falkniven A1, what a huge POS. That thing rattles around and makes all kinds of noise.
* Retarded knife laws.
* smooth G10 = worthless

My biggest one is dealing with mall ninjas and some of the clowns I have to deal with in the local knife shops. I dont usually frequent them but there happens to be one across from Nordstrom's so it is a nice escape while my wife feeds her shoe obsession.

Just having to listen to these kids debate the finer points knife fighting design and tactical usage gives me a headache. People kill and injury each other all the time it doesn't really take a special technology, just desire.

I always try to leave them with some knowledge that I have gathered outside the mall. I know two things about knife fighting:

1. There is only one knife involved in a knife fight and that is the one the attacker initiates with. Everything after that is centered around that weapon.

2. You dont ever want to be i a knife fight.

Best defense against a knife is a gun or cross trainers. I am not sure the best defense against ninja stars, but the wife wants to go to the mall this weekend so I will check with the experts. ;)

american tantos that have a sloped spine

knives that are not easily ambidextrous (Buck Vantage Pro, great knife already in my EDC rotation but the opening hole is not lefty friendly)

when i find a new knife i really like but know nothing about the steel (hitachi super gold and blue, etc)

people who complain about balisongs and their "uselessness"

people who use my knives to cut guitar strings, copper tubing, hydraulic tubing etc

knifenuts with myoptic views

anything remotely related to mall ninjary - case in point

69790_1761067267153_1253214292_31892691_2477719_n.jpg

combo edge.... scum of the earth. Sometimes i'll take a few of my combo edge knives and stare at them waiting for the serrations to turn into beautiful flat plain edge, but it never happens.
Ridiculous Knife laws- I can carry a glock but not a switchblade, that makes sense.
BM's thumbholes- Its ok when spyderco does it, but thats kinda their thing

Just having to listen to these kids debate the finer points knife fighting design and tactical usage gives me a headache. People kill and injury each other all the time it doesn't really take a special technology, just desire.
Indeed, an old friend of mine owns a knife shop where a group of highschool kids sit all day talking about how to earn money to buy a new knife, whos fighting who, and eating his butterscotches! To be fair, I love emerson knives and not for their "tactical" advantages, but for their easy access among other things. never will i practice any form of mall ninjary

Thats all I can think of... I know I will probably get bashed for this but, people who carry firearms when they know they won't ever use them

I get a kick out of those who say:

I have a custom Kimber 1911 with 3,000 bucks worth of gizmos on it, weapon light on the rail. I carry it in my 200 dollar custom IWB holster. I also carry the most expensive Surefire light on the market. I would like a self defense folder to go with it that has an incredibly durable lock, never dulls and can cut like a light saber...I want to keep it under 30 dollars :D

The ONLY people I want carrying guns is the people who hope they never use them. I carry a glock 26, and I hope and pray that I never even have to pull it out in defense.

Why would anyone walk around carrying a gun hoping to use it? If you go looking for trouble, you'll probably find it. I hope you eventually change your mind on that subject. Don't carry guns hoping to get into a gunfight. Grow up.

And how would you "know you're never going to use it"? Tell me. I'll keep carrying, you leave yours at home. Sounds like you need to anyway.

combo edge.... scum of the earth. Sometimes i'll take a few of my combo edge knives and stare at them waiting for the serrations to turn into beautiful flat plain edge, but it never happens.
Ridiculous Knife laws- I can carry a glock but not a switchblade, that makes sense.
BM's thumbholes- Its ok when spyderco does it, but thats kinda their thing

Indeed, an old friend of mine owns a knife shop where a group of highschool kids sit all day talking about how to earn money to buy a new knife, whos fighting who, and eating his butterscotches! To be fair, I love emerson knives and not for their "tactical" advantages, but for their easy access among other things. never will i practice any form of mall ninjary

Thats all I can think of... I know I will probably get bashed for this but, people who carry firearms when they know they won't ever use them

Back